DJI Phantom 3 Worth it?

Creed1

I am completely new to drones. I haven't driven a single drone, but I am doings tons of research about them. For my first drone I am looking at getting the DJI Phantom 3 Standard due to the safety features it has. Is it worth it?

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Safety features won't do much for a noob pilot. Besides the phantom 3 doesn't have much in terms of anti collision, or at all I think. What makes it worth it is the incredible value. The Phantom 3 is a very solid platform and even the 1080p camera is pretty damn good. 

If you've never flown before, buy a cheap little quad off amazon, the hubsan x4 is a good one to practice with. Better to crash and kill a $50 aircraft so you're ready for a $500 aircraft. 

ASU

^^ THIS

Spend about $50 or $100 on a shitty drone and crash the shit out of it.

THEN get the big boy drone

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I don't think I have the budget to get 2 drones. Do you think I will be fine if I take it easy every day?

Example:

Day 1 - Learning to take off

Day 2 - Learn to land

Day 3- Move slowly at a decent altitude

I also have someone to teach me how to fly my drone. The person has the exact same drone as I would be getting. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 hour ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I don't think I have the budget to get 2 drones. Do you think I will be fine if I take it easy every day?

Example:

Day 1 - Learning to take off

Day 2 - Learn to land

Day 3- Move slowly at a decent altitude

I also have someone to teach me how to fly my drone. The person has the exact same drone as I would be getting. 

The thing about the phantom is it's controlled a little differently. When flying multirotors, throttle management is one of the most important things you have to control. It can dictate how fast yours going, how high you are, and it can help you change directions. However this is all automated on DJI's aircraft. The left stick is an "up and down" lever, not a throttle which is very different from a traditional multirotor. 

As for a hubsan, it's a cheap little guy that fits in your hand that you can fly around to get a feel for the controls. Best learn on that so you're a better pilot when you move up to the phantom. It'll make the phantom safer to both you and anyone near you. Not to mention you'll save money on repairs when you're not crashing your phantom every time you take it out.

ASU