In need of a headset

DragonMatt

I've been using some sh*tastic turtle beach px21s for gaming, however, after they broke 4 places and are sortof still working, it's definitely time to switch to a good headset.

Optimal Budget: <$150 (us dollaz)

Aim: Gaming, Skype, General listening(music, videos, movies)

Style: Closed or Open (doesn't seem like a big deal to me, either will do)

Connection Type: 3.5mm, USB, optical

Audio taste: Don't really want a LOT of bass but a dial to screw around with it would be nice

Sound Card: I'd like to buy one, if you can suggest one to get in conjunction with the headset i might consider it

Microphone: I definitely need a mic, high quality preferred

Additional Info: some sort of manual separate controls for chat volume and game volume (the one thing I like px21s for)

The razer tiamat 7.1 almost meets all my specifications but I've seen multiple reviews on the mic quality being poor

what kind of games do you play? more fps or more mmo/moba?

Since this thread is here anyway, please do help me as well~

Budget: Around $100USD~ (Slightly above is fine)

Aim: Gaming [Hearing ambient sounds like footsteps etc], Music/Movies

Connection: 3.5mm preferred (For use with phones)

Current looking at Razer Kraken Pro Black, is it recommended?

what kind of games do you play? more fps or more mmo/moba?
Not really an mmo kind of guy so mostly fps

if you're gonna wear them outdoors, youre pretty much limited to closed headphones. closed headphones within your budget wont have a sound stage as wide as open eared cans.

0 fucks given when walking around with them on.

its big toque big fluffy hat season so I've been wearing the ad700 around my issue with them on the go is the super long chord. until now I've been listening to big room airy trance, vocal EDM and experimental electro with them but the last 2 weeks I've started to enjoy unplugged guitar recordings more and anything with cellos.

for gaming these are my go to headphones for black ops 2 on the xbox. I don't even bother wasting points on dead silence and awareness perks anymore I'm one of those annoying run and gunners and can still hear the snick snack of boots on the ground despite the blown out sounds introduced to the game to reduce the audio advantages if I bothered recording my game kills it would be filled of me running around and turning on people who should have had the drop on me.

comfort: there are countless times I've laid down on my couch, eargasmed to an exceptional recording and fell asleep because I had my eyes closed for so long. awoken, realised I still had my headphones on and kept on listening for another session. any normal headphone I'd have ripped them off immediately after waking because of the discomfort and slimy behind the ear sweat.

lack of bass. notoriously absent but honestly I really don't miss it since I EQ it in for the ad700 and make use of the extra bass setting for my fiio E11 portable amp that said I have been thinking of picking up an ATH WS55 or a numark redwave as a cheapass portable good looking bass heavy alternative.

if you're gonna wear them outdoors, youre pretty much limited to closed headphones. closed headphones within your budget wont have a sound stage as wide as open eared cans.
+1 open cans are usually more delicate because they don't have the inherent rigidity of having a full back of hard plastic/aluminum

I do sometimes play FPS games with my closed back M50's but there's an extra sense of resolution and detail that is missing from gaming with the ad700

I'd go ad700 + standalone mic + e7, but it pushes your budget a little.
I don't really want to go with a stand alone mic, and I'm just not to crazy about the look of the headphones, I'm sure they have great sound quality and everything but just not my style. Any other recommendationz?

akg k240?
+1

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

akg k240?
Dude, I want a headset WITH a mic

akg k240?
How do these sound without an amp/soundcard? The k240 studio appeals to my eyes :>

for the OP RE: Razer Tiamat.

if you look at honest reviews they all say that the audio positional awareness is great however it is poop for anything else. sound is a wave and if you introduce multiple sources of waves in a given space you will get undesired effects.

its like the current megapixel revolution going on with smart phones now. before bigger megapixel counts was a selling point and the race to the bottom began with each company trying to outdo eachother because the bigger number looked good on paper and it was easier for the marketing department to advertise bigger numbers.

more speakers does not mean more good.

if you look at honest reviews they all say that the audio positional awareness is great however it is poop for anything else. sound is a wave and if you introduce multiple sources of waves in a given space you will get undesired effects.

its like the current megapixel revolution going on with smart phones now. before bigger megapixel counts was a selling point and the race to the bottom began with each company trying to outdo eachother because the bigger number looked good on paper and it was easier for the marketing department to advertise bigger numbers.

So virtual surround would actually be better than real surround? For general usage as sound is still projected via 1 source

akg k240?
>Dude, I want a headset WITH a mic

get this mic and CLIP it on your headphone cable. Same thing. Better headphones. Better mic.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363501803&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+mic

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

akg k240?
>Dude, I want a headset WITH a mic

the more knowledgeable among us won't recommend a headset and will always try to steer you toward a headphone and mic option instead.

before I had my earholes opened up and educated I thought that the wireless headset I bought was the cream of the crop, absolutely the best and untouchable in sound quality....

ahh to be blissfully unaware again...

There's no such thing as 'real surround' unless you have 5 or more speakers like those horrific Razer ones, and even then it's all software. Your brain creates virtual surround. headsets are labelled '5.1' or '7.1' purely for marketing.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Surround in headphones/headsets is a joke. Spend money on 2 good drivers, not 7 shitty, tinny ones. Buy a good set of closed headphones and a Zalman clip on mic. I recommend anything from Sennheiser that fits your budget, but Audio-Technicia are cool too. Don't like Bose.

Surround in headphones/headsets is a joke. Spend money on 2 good drivers, not 7 shitty, tinny ones. Buy a good set of closed headphones and a Zalman clip on mic. I recommend anything from Sennheiser that fits your budget, but Audio-Technicia are cool too. Don't like Bose.
I understand, I feel the same way I was just being a bit stubborn, I am however willing to switch to headphones with an attachable mic but is the Zalman clip mic good quality? anything in say a 30 dollar price range for a clip-on mic type thing, I'd prefer it not to be on a stand but I think I could get used to that as well...

I have been looking at the SteelSeries 7H for some time now, heard that there were some problems with it being bad build quality in the beginning, but that should be fixed now. Otherwise it should have fine sound and mic for the price. Linus also says that they are his favourite headset if that makes any diefference... http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54387&vpn=61050&manufacture=Steelseries&promoid=1360

My Gaming PC: i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333MHz RAM (2x4), MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5 @ 1050-1100 MHz (Twin Frozr 3), Intel 330 Series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD, Corsair Carbide 500r Case, FSP Aurum Series Gold 700w PSU.

Keyboard: Corsair K90, Mouse: Corsair M60, Mousemat: Razer Vespula, Headset: SteelSeries 5Hv3, Monitor: ASUS VG248QE.

get the cheapest clipon mic you can find. they all sound the same. the quality of the mic on a headset is the same as a clip on