New Motherboard, onboard sound is awful

RichardsD

Hey everyone:

I just rebuilt my PC, so I picked up a new motherboard. I got an ASUS Z-170K, and unfortunately the onboard sound is god awful. I have HD 598s, and they went from sounding very crisp, to very tinny. Now, all audi sounds blurred or muffled.

Would a DAC, or an AMP fix this? I assume a DAC, because to my knowledge, the HD 598s do not usually need an amp, correct?

Anyways, this is what I am looking at, as it is the least expensive option: https://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Would this correct the issue, or this this the wrong product?

It's a piece of schiit, why would it help?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's a piece of schiit, why would it help?

Haha, indeed. I have no experience w/ any of their stuff, and I'm not even sure if that is the right product. 

Might be static buildup . Build a Faraday cage around audio chip .

only half joking

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Mightt be static buildup . Build a Faraday cage around audio DSP .

actually maybe not joking

Right, that seems like a bit more work than I am willing, would moving external W/ that product fix the issue?

Just now, RichardsD said:

Right, that seems like a bit more work than I am willing, would moving external W/ that product fix the issue?

foil might wok . But imo your best bet is probably just to get an external DAC or a sound card

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

foil might wok . But imo your best bet is probably just to get an external DAC or a sound card

Ok, so would the product listed in the OP be suitable?

Just now, RichardsD said:

i'm not well versed in PC audio equipment unfortunately

8 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

no, you need an amp if you get a dac

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, RichardsD said:

Would a DAC, or an AMP fix this? I assume a DAC, because to my knowledge, the HD 598s do not usually need an amp, correct?

The 598s may not need an amp, but often you'll get better performance is you run them through a dedicated headphone amp than the onboard audio, also a DAC will usually output at pre-amp levels which will not be able to power headphones.

40 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

The Schiit magni is an amplifier, in and of itself it will take an already analog signal ( and make it louder to a level that would be suitable to drive headphones. The input isn't meant to be one already run through the opamp of a motherboard, but you can if you don't have/want a seperate DAC. Note that this won't change the audio signature , since you're still using the motherboard's DAC.

31 minutes ago, spwath said:

no, you need an amp if you get a dac

As spwath says, you need a DAC and an amp somewhere in the chain. The magni is 'meant' to be run as part of the schiit stack, a magni on top of a modi, which is a DAC. the idea being run digital audio (via usb or optical or coaxial cable) to the modi, which converts to analog away from any interference the PC creates, the (pre-amp) output of the modi into the magni, then from the magni into your headphones.

There is a cheaper option from schiit, the Fulla 2 ($99), this is a desktop DAC/AMP which uses a usb input for full dac/amp operation, but can also be used separately as either a DAC or an amp. It also features a 3.5mm input to the amp for mp3 players or phones. 

Alternatively you can look as the Fiio K5 or E10K.

The K5 (~$110) is a DAC/AMP with usb/line in and a dock for their mp3 player.

The E10K (~$85) is a DAC/AMP witha simple usb in and headphone out.

26 minutes ago, anothertom said:

x

Thank you. So, to be clear: Essentially the Fulla 2 is a DAC/AMP Combo. You would have 3.5mm audio from your PC into the device, and then 3.5mm out to your headset, and USB for power?

1 minute ago, RichardsD said:

Essentially the Fulla 2 is a DAC/AMP Combo?

Yes :)

You would have 3.5mm audio from your PC into the device?

You could, but the USB can be used to send digital, which will be better quality and will utilise the DAC in the Fulla. If you run through the 3.5mm jack you're still usig the onboard dac, which will sound worse.

and then 3.5mm out to your headset, and USB for power?

1/4'' output from the fulla, so you may need a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter (really cheap on ebay), out to headphones. USB for power and preferably audio as well.

2 minutes ago, anothertom said:

X

interesting! I understand how this works now. Luckily the HD 598s terminate in a 1/4 connector, so that's actually fine. 

So, there is 1 USB to a wall adapter for power, and 1 USB in for audio signal?

So, there is 1 USB to a wall adapter for power, and 1 USB in for audio signal?

There are two micro usb ports, one is for power only and the other is for power + data. The way it works is quite clever: If you use a separate micro USB plugged into the dedicated power port, you can plug a phone in via usb (a straight micro USB cable or apple equivalent) the Fulla will communicate to the phone that it doesn't need power and the phone will only send data. This allow for a much longer listen than if the phone also had to power the Fulla.

If the source is a computer then you only need the one USB cable plugged into the outer port for power + data. Although re-reading the FAQ they suggest that you do connect both USB cables no matter the source.

Perfect, thank you!

Welp, 100 down the drain. Better than this god awful audio I have atm.

Cheers everyone

51 minutes ago, anothertom said:

The K5 (~$110) is a DAC/AMP with usb/line in and a dock for their mp3 player.

The E10K (~$85) is a DAC/AMP witha simple usb in and headphone out.

Another thread that got off to a rocky start, but at least some people who know what they are talking about have showed up.

I do not recommend Fiio products unless they are the only option available. Inferior design and sound quality.

I do not recommend a Magni for a sensitive headphone like the HD 598. You would have basically no play on the tiny volume pot, even on low gain.

2 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

Welp, 100 down the drain. Better than this god awful audio I have atm.

Before dropping $100, have you done ANY troubleshooting? Reinstalling drivers, trying front and back audio ports, etc? I have a troubleshooting guide in my sigline.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Another thread that got off to a rocky start, but at least some people who know what they are talking about have showed up.

I do not recommend Fiio products unless they are the only option available. Inferior design and sound quality.

I do not recommend a Magni for a sensitive headphone like the HD 598. You would have basically no play on the tiny volume pot, even on low gain.

Before dropping $100, have you done ANY troubleshooting? Reinstalling drivers, trying front and back audio ports, etc? I have a troubleshooting guide in my sigline.

I did ensure I had the latest drivers. I am using the only back audio port on the Mobo. Fresh install, new build, no wireless, so I just think it's probably crap onboard audio.

I took a look at that guide, good job BTW, but I don't think any are the culprit. My old board, yesterday, gave perfectly serviceable quality, and the new board does not, even with properly updated drivers. 

I did ensure I had the latest drivers. I am using the only back audio port on the Mobo. Fresh install, new build, no wireless, so I just think it's probably crap onboard audio.

I took a look at that guide, good job BTW, but I don't think any are the culprit. My old board, yesterday, gave perfectly serviceable quality, and the new board does not, even with properly updated drivers. 

Why not try the front ports at least? The rear may not have a head-out.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Why not try the front ports at least? The rear may not have a head-out.

I could, but having my headphones plugged into the front will not work long term. My PC sits on my desk, and the 598s terminate in 1/4 into an adapter for 3.5mm, so it would look horrible with this huge cable and adapter on the front of my PC. 

I could, but having my headphones plugged into the front will not work long term. My PC sits on my desk, and the 598s terminate in 1/4 into an adapter for 3.5mm, so it would look horrible with this huge cable and adapter on the front of my PC. 

It's still worth trying. Thee are always replacement cables available for the 598s terminated to a 3.5mm jack, or do some DIY...

12 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

You don't necessarily have to use it that way long-term, but trying it might give the thread a bit more information as to the cause/solution of the problem.

Alright, swapped it over, didn't notice any difference / or improvement.

3 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

aww... you're just saying that...

One more suggestion before you press the button, try the headphones with another device, just to check they sound how you remember, and that they've not been damaged at some point.

13 minutes ago, RichardsD said:

Did the jack detection switch to headphone mode?

Actually, have another. courtesy of Swoopita http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3202645/audio-issue-asus-z170-motherboard.html

I found the fix!!! Was literally about to send my motherboard back and decided to mess with settings one last time. In the Realtek audio interface, or whatever the audio interface is called, there's an option set for surround sound. Once I turned this off it 100% fix the issue. It's a default setting that makes headphones sound wavy and weird! Please try this and let me know if you have any issues.

Seemed to have the same problem you have with the same mobo...