Help me decide on this thing, pls?

TenzoNakami

Hi guys, long story short:

Spoiler

I bought this IKEA table from two years ago, I've used this table from then without screwing them to it's foot (Yes, it is my fault for being too lazy.) and the table was all fine until a few days ago I accidentally hit the table (more like I was bumping into it) and then it tipped over. The crazy thing is, for one second I thought that my "PC" is the victim (Yesh, I love test bench and I've always used test bench) but it turned out that it's my monitor... I have two monitors, DELL U2515H and LG 29UM58-P. Both are cracked. I am currently using the good ol' Samsung SyncMaster 450b.

Additional story: I am a freelance programmer and designer, so getting a good monitor is one of my biggest concern.

So.. I need one of the biggest decision in my life.. I think?

For some reason, I don't have much left for now, and I'd need to get a replacement monitor ASAP or I'll die (Literally, without those monitor it really is a pain)

What I need to decide is.. Should I sell my 1070 and get 1060 + new monitor for now or, keep doing my work with this old monitor and wait for a few months until I get enough to replace the monitors?

Spoiler

For those who might be asking "You're a designer, should've get lots of money with each project", my answer is: They don't really care about us designer and programmer here, they aren't willing to pay much just for some web design or video editing and or programming in my country. It is such a shame.

And, as I mentioned earlier, for some reason I also have to pay few things.. And it turned out not to be cheap.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

Even tho it might be painful, sell the 1070.

I don't believe it's worth the pain for so long. And you also use your computer for things that aren't related to gaming so you won't even notice the downgrade that much...

Also, maybe the rx 470/rx 480 is an option? If it's cheaper i would get that.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Not screwing in table legs is probably one of the most foolish things you could do with an expensive setup like that. I hope you have learned your lesson. If I was in this situation, I would make due with an old monitor before I sold my 1070. However, as your job is a programmer, I can see how having a nice monitor would be a big deal, whereas having a nice graphics card is less important. If you literally cannot do your job with the old monitor, you should definitely get a new monitor. It would be a pain to sell your graphics card though and it would take time to find a buyer. 

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

1 hour ago, SirCallow said:

Not screwing in table legs is probably one of the most foolish things you could do with an expensive setup like that. I hope you have learned your lesson. If I was in this situation, I would make due with an old monitor before I sold my 1070. However, as your job is a programmer, I can see how having a nice monitor would be a big deal, whereas having a nice graphics card is less important. If you literally cannot do your job with the old monitor, you should definitely get a new monitor. It would be a pain to sell your graphics card though and it would take time to find a buyer. 

That is, something that I totally forgot. It wasn't set up for such an expensive setup (was originally a bar-like table to take a rest and have some coffee, I also took the longest table legs which counts up to 160cm from the ground), and I just noticed that when the table flipped over. But still, not screwing the legs was a great mistake. And yeah, my most expensive lesson. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a full time programmer, I also do web design and video rendering, so having the 1070 + good monitor will help me alot on the "design" part.

EDIT: I've also noticed that your setup is similar to mine, with you having the 25" version of the monitor. It really is fun doing Adobe AE Timeline with that monitor.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Even tho it might be painful, sell the 1070.

I don't believe it's worth the pain for so long. And you also use your computer for things that aren't related to gaming so you won't even notice the downgrade that much...

Also, maybe the rx 470/rx 480 is an option? If it's cheaper i would get that.

I do play some games in my free time, and sometimes doing livestream.

And I haven't tried the performance between 1060 and 1070 for Adobe's program.

And I don't want to bother with RX's series I think? Since there was once a hint that Adobe's program runs better with an nvidia cards.. Or it was just my thought.

I'll check out more decision before deciding which way I should go.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

47 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

EDIT: I've also noticed that your setup is similar to mine, with you having the 25" version of the monitor. It really is fun doing Adobe AE Timeline with that monitor.

Yes, it really is a lovely monitor. I just bought a second one actually, I shall have to update my signature soon. I would not think that the difference between a 1060 and a 1070 in adobe would be a large one. Linus made a video awhile back about photo and video editing with GPUs and basically rendering was similar across the board as long as you weren't using integrated graphics. You should be good if you decide to go that route. As far as I know you cannot do SLI with many or all 1060s, so keep that in mind if you were thinking of that upgrade path.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2016 at 2:13 AM, SirCallow said:

Yes, it really is a lovely monitor. I just bought a second one actually, I shall have to update my signature soon. I would not think that the difference between a 1060 and a 1070 in adobe would be a large one. Linus made a video awhile back about photo and video editing with GPUs and basically rendering was similar across the board as long as you weren't using integrated graphics. You should be good if you decide to go that route. As far as I know you cannot do SLI with many or all 1060s, so keep that in mind if you were thinking of that upgrade path.

Sooo.... Sorry for missing for a few days lol

I've tried to do all my best with that old monitors, and I've done all my jobs this year.

Got enough money to repair both, but it seems like it cost me 20% more to repair than buying new ones LOL

The 29UM58 cost around 350USD here and when I brought that monitor to LG... They asked me for 400USD to get that thing back to work.

Really, bruh? The U2515 also is the same, with it costing around 320USD, DELL asked me for 360USD also. Crazy.

Why do they cost more to repair than to buy new ones?

I am looking for a new monitor then, but I think I'll buy the 29UM58 again as it really is a lovely monitor.

And no, this time I swapped table with a shorter legs and screwed them. I even asked IKEA if it would collapse in any condition xD

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 7:55 AM, TenzoNakami said:

Sooo.... Sorry for missing for a few days lol

I've tried to do all my best with that old monitors, and I've done all my jobs this year.

Got enough money to repair both, but it seems like it cost me 20% more to repair than buying new ones LOL

The 29UM58 cost around 350USD here and when I brought that monitor to LG... They asked me for 400USD to get that thing back to work.

Really, bruh? The U2515 also is the same, with it costing around 320USD, DELL asked me for 360USD also. Crazy.

Why do they cost more to repair than to buy new ones?

I am looking for a new monitor then, but I think I'll buy the 29UM58 again as it really is a lovely monitor.

And no, this time I swapped table with a shorter legs and screwed them. I even asked IKEA if it would collapse in any condition xD

The 25 inch would give you a lot higher pixel density, but if you just want a large monitor, go for it.

My legit rig:

22 hours ago, SirCallow said:

The 25 inch would give you a lot higher pixel density, but if you just want a large monitor, go for it.

Thanks for all the response :)

I finally get my hands on two 29UM58-P (I repaired the broken ones after finishing more jobs).

And also got a new setup right here! The Kaby Lake is too tempting to be ignored! xD

As you said: It really is an amazing experience to have two ultrawide monitors!

Cheers!

Spoiler