Adulting Help

iamdarkyoshi
6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

For fucks sake I can't even find a friend, I'm so depressed lately I can't even find the motivation to work on projects, let alone make it so I can see my fucking workbench

Anti depressant 

it's not like we all need some :/ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I don't know what I can afford though

Well, we'd need to know what you earn first...

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I don't know what I can afford though

Honestly, if you don't know that you shouldn't be looking at an apartment or house just yet.  Instead, sit down and make a budget.  Look at what your income is and subtract out at least 10% for savings.  Then subtract what your expected expenses are for things like gas, food, and clothing.  What's left is what you can afford to spend on utilities and rent.  Once you know that number you can start looking for an apartment. 

I know that there's a variety of options out there when it comes to apartments.  Look around and you might be able to find one that suits your needs (garage or second bedroom, etc.)  You might have to be willing to expand your search radius a little and move a little further away.  

Also, I understand your desire to get your own house.  I would love one too.  But it's not the best option for me when I'm just starting out.  In the future, sure.  But for now, my friends and I are looking at renting a house which will be the best of both worlds in a way.  But this may not work well for you if you can't find roommates.  Trying to rent or buy a house by yourself will probably be too much money and not fit into your budget.  You might have to scale back your ambitions and getting a regular apartment. In which case, refer back to the second paragraph and find one that suits your needs.

Another piece of advice.  I too have accumulated a fair bit of stuff, but I'm currently in the process of trimming that down. Mostly for two reasons: One, it will make my life a lot easier and less stressful when moving.  Two, some of it is old and I don't use it anymore.  So there's no sense in keeping it around.  it's just taking up space.  I've been picking away at it little by little.  Spend about 5-10 minutes a day and go through one box or shelf a day and trim it down.  Don't try and tackle it all at once.  Try and stick to that routine and it will get smaller. 

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

thats 5 years, And same but again, not giving advice about stuff other people know much more about

Selling stuff isn't a bad tip tho. 

If the thread creator has a bunch of jackets and they only use like 1 or 2, having the spare money is more useful. 

Often times when people move they have yard sales because it's more expensive to transport their belongings, and it's an opportunity to free up space/have more money. 

Some things my Mom did when she moved out at a young age was 

1. buy food on sale, and cook all of it 1 night so you just have to reheat it the rest of the week

2. She had 2 jobs. 1 was the main job for living expenses, and the second was for going out money 

3. Keep a safe amount of money (Somehow she kept 14,000 in the bank at all times minimum just incase as an "insurance.")

What my dad did

1. Grocery list: Bread, cereal, milk (He had no idea WT* to buy so he just bought some cheap things)

2. learn to cook. Crack an egg, put in pan, wait. It's that easy. 

What my 26 year old cousin is currently doing 

1. have a roommate to help afford bills

2. If your job doesn't provide growing room/"enough" to your liking, seek higher opportunities. 

What my 26 year old friend who's a lawyer does:(I don't advise this lifestyle because they have too much money)
1. Get drunk all the time

2. spend thousands on weekend dinners and go to clubs with private booths

3. Generally burn money because it's like 3-20K a case (It's a very successful firm....)

What my other cousin does:
1. Get a job at a cigarrete company (People don't like to work for them because it can be seen as "Immoral" so they pay more)
2. Use the company car, so you don't have to buy your own. (You already have a car so, it doesn't really matter)

What I did when I got my first job (Don't have my own house or anything):
1. Put all my money in the bank

2. When I wanted to buy something, I took a part of my next paycheck to put towards purchasing the item instead of taking money out of the bank. 

What my mom does today:
1. Sell stuff on eBay. You'd be surprised at the garbage people will buy. Why did 4 deer antler things sell for near 30USD? I don't know... But... We also were able to sell my skinny jeans (I'm not a girl, I just wanted to leave the clothing store so badly the first pair of pants I got on I took. And then we sold them on ebay. Skinny men's clothing is apparently a sought product.)

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

For fucks sake I can't even find a friend, I'm so depressed lately I can't even find the motivation to work on projects, let alone make it so I can see my fucking workbench

Well you need to find a local community of people who share similar interests. Idk, machining or something. 

ASU

16 minutes ago, Niemand said:

Did you just give us your address?

I'll stop by one day. Better get a coffee table.

That's what I was thinking. Wanna car pool? 

I dig the part where the HOA fee is $550 a month, that's like just a bit shy of half my rent for an apartment in Toronto.  $550/mo before you factor in any possible mortgage to buy the property.  And it's a mobile structure, which really don't appreciate in value over time as the degrade faster than constructed houses.

15 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know absolutely fuck all about adulting, as you can probably tell, so go easy on me. 

It's all very easy actually, the first prerequisite is to actually get a job.

Speaking of which, I've never used a credit card. Everything has been debit for me.

Never use credit cards as they are essentially a license to live beyond your means. Never use credit. It is as simple as that. One of the only valid use cases I see for credit cards is to rebuild ruined credit which is highly ironic.

So how would one calculate monthly expenses for someone like me? I don't even know where to start.

A spreadsheet: Expenses vs income and ensure that you have disposable else you'll be living beyond your means very quickly.

Living beyond your means will have very nasty and very far reaching consequences.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

14 hours ago, fpo said:

bills

27 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

It's all very easy actually, the first prerequisite is to actually get a job.

Never use credit cards as they are essentially a license to live beyond your means. Never use credit. It is as simple as that. One of the only valid use cases I see for credit cards is to rebuild ruined credit which is highly ironic.

A spreadsheet: Expenses vs income and ensure that you have disposable else you'll be living beyond your means very quickly.

Living beyond your means will have very nasty and very far reaching consequences.

Having a good credit is a good thing because someday you may need to borrow money.

also cashback on credit cards is nice and so are other bonuses.

instead of using your money to buy something just use credit and pay it back immediately.

10 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Having a good credit is a good thing because someday you may need to borrow money.

Living responsibly i.e. building savings means that you won't and if you need to borrow that kind of sum then something is not quite right anyway.

In any event borrowing a large sum of money from a credit card is a terrible option.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

So... You're moving out.

First thing to do when you move out is decide what to keep and what not to keep. We all have shit we don't need like my 2mx2m Barbie swimming pool and salon. Trouble is that it's hard to say no to the Barbie but you have to or you'll burden yourself with shit for the rest of your life.

Next, I'd look into moving into the city closer to where everything is. There's probably a reason why that house it £50k and it's not just the fact that it's made of materials even the big, bad wolf can reduce to a pile of rubble, it's probably in a pretty depressing area. So there you'll be with depressing neighbours in some shithole in the desert.

Next bit of advice, move into a flat or house share. When you move out you'll be surprised just how lonely it gets. You need people to move in with that you can do stuff with or you'll drive yourself crazy. Getting a girlfriend does help but imo you need more than that to keep yourself sane.

5 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

It's not just to re-build a credit rating, but to build a decent one out of nothing, if you've never borrowed anything you'll find it very difficult to get a decent mortgage, better rates are available for those that borrow heavily but never miss a payment. It's a good idea to put something like your phone contract or food bill on your credit card, then get it to pay off before your grace period ends.

13 minutes ago, Mug said:

It's not just to re-build a credit rating, but to build a decent one out of nothing, if you've never borrowed anything you'll find it very difficult to get a decent mortgage, better rates are available for those that borrow heavily but never miss a payment. It's a good idea to put something like your phone contract or food bill on your credit card, then get it to pay off before your grace period ends.

I'll reiterate this once more: Specifically borrowing from a credit card is a terrible option - not only is the APR dire but in most cases doing so will actually negatively impact your credit rating. There's a worse way still of using one beyond that which is to actually draw cash out against it.

Using one for very short term micro payments is negligible at best. Moreover there is a large margin of subjectivity between companies on this. Hence why I said avoid doing so if it's not necessary...

Borrowing in the form of a loan on the other hand is fine and even helpful under specific circumstances i.e. that it's not going to push you beyond your means.

You may choose to ignore what I have said and to go ahead using your credit cards in that fashion, that's your choice, I would say that you are playing with fire. What do I know though? I've only been self sufficient now for a few decades and thanks to credit have only lived through one bankruptcy so far 9_9 I suppose kids really can't be told and must learn the hard way after all xD

Oh oh oh... Definitely note this. 

If you cannot afford your bills, call the company. Say I cannot afford the whole bill but I can pay x amount of money now (Where x is an amount of money you can put towards the bill)

The companies want to see that they'd get the money. If you don't show you have money, or it seems like you're not going to pay, they'll shut off your power/water. If you pay even a quarter of the bill, when in a depression (Lacking a bit of money) they'll keep it on because you are trying to pay the company. 

Looks like a pretty cool house for being the cheapest!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/18/2016 at 0:18 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

An apartment isn't happening unless I get properly desperate. I don't like living near other humans anyway, I rarely use headphones...

Drop your expectations and wants the first thing to learn is that living on your own isnt easy

At 27 I rent a room for 285 a month and share kitchen and bathrooms with other people. I cant even afford a one room apartment because its so expensive and do to recent mild brain injury I really cant work more then 20 hours righr now

But its better then others have it.

Living with your parents is not a bad thing nor should you be ashamed of it because once they are gone everything costs money.

If you really want to live pn your own look into living with roommates. And pick people you get along with.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |