how much life can i get out of this build

masterkickass7

Just now, PCNoobie said:

It can rekt any games on 1080p for a decade.

lol. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

for 1080p it should be enough for at least 3 years (I have a gtx 970 and it's not good enough for 1440p on recent titles but 1080p is perfect)

I would rather get an RX 480 or gtx 1060 6GB for the extra VRAM and future compatibility.

EDIT: oh wait u already built it nvm

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

A long time.

Except a GTX 980 for $500 is like asking to get robbed.

well he said he built it last year, so before pascal, the 980 was still pricey 

Everyone should own a vive.

13 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

built this last xmas how many years can i get out of it 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/masterkickass7/saved/#view=bkWGXL

Like, a week.

You've got a few years before you even need to think about touching anything there. The 980 should be the first thing to go, and tbqh that's still perfectly fine for anything at 1080p and a good deal of stuff at 1440p.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Get a G710 as G105 is not a mechanical and serve no actual purpose

Well should be last fair amount of time

Depends on the games you're playing.  However, I would say that it should last you through the year 2020, if not longer.  GTX 980 is still really good...on par with GTX 1060 & RX 480.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

I see.

Unless he goes absolute brute force like a 980Ti (or a 1070/1080 today), I don't think an Nvidia card will last very long with driver nerfs.

Multi-GPU support is still too garbage today to warrant a second 980 for SLI.

That said a 980 today is still good to max stuff at 1080p. No telling how fast console port optimization is going to sink into the ground to determine an 'expiry date' on his PC.

well if you see how older cards stack up in today's games I think the 980 will be fine for like 5 years,.

im not saying in 5 years he can play ultra 1440p but high to max setting AAA games 1080p 60fps in the future,

even the 750 TI can still get decent frame rates in AAA games on low-med settings today even with a weak CPU.

I dont see that card having major issues, people even still game on a 260 today and that does alright, 

Really? The single GPU flagship GTX 680 is about 4.5 years old today. It would do 2560x1600 ultra back in its day.

Try the same card at 1080p ultra on today's typical port like WD2 and you get a big fat NOPE.

Yes games get more demanding, but you have to factor that into your claim of lasting 5 years anyway.

The 980 released at the end of 2014, is already 2 years into obsolescence. I wouldn't count on it lasting 3 more years let alone 5.

Wake up.

well its not every game, even my 390 runs hard when i play watch dogs 1,

but games like fallout and gta 5 and other well optimized games run great on older cards, a 260 non X can get 30 fps on med in gta 5 and the same in fallout 4. even with low end AMD cpu's (even my old 260 could even get 70 fps in gta 5 1080p on low with traffic and population turned down)

I will stand by me saying the 980 can last at least 5 more years running games med-high setting at atleast 30fps if not higher.

im not saying its going to run games maxed out or even at 60fps, even the 970 and 390 will still be able to good good fps for the next few years. and the 980 beats them.

I think people underestimate stuff, old cards like the gtx660 can even run gta 5 at a playable framerate.

thats all its about running games on any setting at a playable framerate, not ultra 60fps, just becase you cant run games maxed out does not mean your card is obsolete, your card is obsolete when it cant run 80% of games above a playable framerate at least to me, but im not stuck up and dont NEED 60 fps like most pc gamers to still have fun playing a game.

and yes even 20 fps is playable. may not look or feel the best but you can still play the game. and without frame drops which is worse then a constant lower FPS 

im thinking you are one of the #PcMasterRace guys who thinks you need to upgrade your card every time a new series comes out/

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Backtrack much?

I'm not. I'm still on a 290X when I can afford to get a Fury or 1080. Look at my past activity and NOT ONCE have I advised anyone to blindly get the latest greatest card. Instead you see me actively lambasting poor ports and shitstain products of Nvidia's Gameworks program.

OP here merely asked how long his rig will last. You said 5 years and that is wrong. No matter if intentional or not, whether is it of any consequence to him or not (he already has the 980 anyway) There is no telling how long his build will remain viable at 1080p but I highly doubt it will offer satisfactory performance 3 years later.

So you are telling me I'm wrong

I'll put 10gs on this.

In 5 years if that rig can't play games 1080p 30fps or higer you owe me 10 grand. If it can't I'll pay you 10 grand.

If that's too rich for your blood pick a price.

You made claims that aren't even consistent and want to make a bet?

Falling from "high to max setting AAA games 1080p 60fps" to "med-high setting at atleast 30fps if not higher"

And now an arbitrary 1080p 30fps that you could very well twist into running games at the absolute lowest settings.

Go find someone else to screw with.

This argument has fallen out of context. I stand by my claim that a 980 won't last anywhere near 5 years, and have cited historical evidence to back it.

Wish him all the best, whatever he has learnt (or not) from this discussion.

im not going back and fourth, I was saying that it cant do 1440p but 1080 60 fps is more reasonable.

and im going off how past GPUs stack up today. 

you just wont take the bet becase you know I am right, and thats better for you when I say 30 or higher, that means 29fps and your 10k richer, but again I know ill be right. 

16 hours ago, huilun02 said:

A long time.

Except a GTX 980 for $500 is like asking to get robbed.

also paid $500 for the cpu i was a newb and have learned alot since then

14 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Backtrack much?

I'm not. I'm still on a 290X when I can afford to get a Fury or 1080. Look at my past activity and NOT ONCE have I advised anyone to blindly get the latest greatest card. Instead you see me actively lambasting poor ports and shitstain products of Nvidia's Gameworks program.

OP here merely asked how long his rig will last. You said 5 years and that is wrong. No matter if intentional or not, whether is it of any consequence to him or not (he already has the 980 anyway) There is no telling how long his build will remain viable at 1080p but I highly doubt it will offer satisfactory performance 3 years later.

the 200 series are beast's of cards