Help! CPU Utilization: Is this Normal?

Okay so this is stressing me out. Is what the CPU doing normal for Skylake?

http://imgur.com/a/3QhFz

I ran a 3770K previously and I dont remember the utilization chart to be so... jittery when idle. CPU speeds seem to vary wildly from 1.24 GHz to 4 GHz. Again, this is during idle. Something is up and it's driving me nuts

Looks okay, are there any programs in the task manager that randomly spike in CPU usage?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

That's actually fairly normal.

My 5930K sees similar utilization jumps. It's usually just because of background processes, drivers, and some programs (for me, mainly Edge, Corsair Link, and MSI's Gaming App) doing their thing. I don't see any jumps in clock due to my 4.2GHz OC though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Looks okay, are there any programs in the task manager that randomly spike in CPU usage?

http://imgur.com/a/FL1xf

This is what stands out to me. Part of the ASUS EZ Update software? Or the AI Suite? Is it posing a problem?

CPU Utilization seems to spike to 6% and 0%, up and down at very regular intervals.

The hills and valleys in the CPU Chart does not sit well with me at all. By saying that it looks fine are you saying that all Skylake CPUs perform like this?

Ordinarily Id agree that this looks off.  But consider for a moment that even at Idle, your CPU has to be used sometimes for windows to run, even if its only 3 or 4%.  tack on some bloatware and other installed applicaitons and you could easily be looking at a 6% or so average utilization at idle.

The peaks and valleys you are seeing are a power saving technique most likely.. the OS and processor working together to cluster commands to make the most efficient and effective use of their clockrate and power draw.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Ordinarily Id agree that this looks off.  But consider for a moment that even at Idle, your CPU has to be used sometimes for windows to run, even if its only 3 or 4%.  tack on some bloatware and other installed applicaitons and you could easily be looking at a 6% or so average utilization at idle.

The peaks and valleys you are seeing are a power saving technique most likely.. the OS and processor working together to cluster commands to make the most efficient and effective use of their clockrate and power draw.

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I mean come on, 4GHz clock speed at 7% utilization??:-

http://imgur.com/a/x197c

Is there funk here, or can i just safely ignore it and proceed to overclocking?

Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, and there's some hidden factor i did not consider

34 minutes ago, grasspuff said:

Is what the CPU doing normal for Skylake?

Yes this is normal, its just the NSA downloading your browsing history.

You have 93 processes, I imagine things like steam in the background will be doing some work, mine is right now, I have all cores floating between 2% and 15%

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 minutes ago, grasspuff said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I mean come on, 4GHz clock speed at 7% utilization??:-

http://imgur.com/a/x197c

Is there funk here, or can i just safely ignore it and proceed to overclocking?

Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, and there's some hidden factor i did not consider

I think you misunderstand what this means. That graph shows how much of your CPU you are currently using. It only updates every once a second or so, so it will jump around a little. Because you are not doing anything to difficult for the CPU to handle, it doesn't really have to try. If you put a 3D load on it, that usage will spike up to the 60-100% range. 

11 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

I think you misunderstand what this means. That graph shows how much of your CPU you are currently using. It only updates every once a second or so, so it will jump around a little. Because you are not doing anything to difficult for the CPU to handle, it doesn't really have to try. If you put a 3D load on it, that usage will spike up to the 60-100% range. 

Alright then. But it still doesn't explain why my CPU clock speed constantly varies wildly. I mean if its not really doing anything, shouldn't the clock speed variations be subtle and only in the 1 to 1.5-ish range?

14 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Yes this is normal, its just the NSA downloading your browsing history.

You have 93 processes, I imagine things like steam in the background will be doing some work, mine is right now, I have all cores floating between 2% and 15%

No, this is a fresh OS install. nothing like Steam or the sort, just proprietary ASUS software

1 minute ago, grasspuff said:

No, this is a fresh OS install. nothing like Steam or the sort, just proprietary ASUS software

There will always be more than 0% CPU utilization, most of it is prob the task manager itself

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

There will always be more than 0% CPU utilization, most of it is prob the task manager itself

Agreed. Still doesn't explain the wildly varying clock speeds I'm getting

2 minutes ago, grasspuff said:

Agreed. Still doesn't explain the wildly varying clock speeds I'm getting

Don't use Task Manager to determine clock speed.  EVER!

Don't worry about your utilization.  Don't worry about your clock speed.  Both are fine unless you have some specific issues that are occurring as a result of either.

Sit back and enjoy your PC.

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Don't use Task Manager to determine clock speed.  EVER!

Don't worry about your utilization.  Don't worry about your clock speed.  Both are fine unless you have some specific issues that are occurring as a result of either.

Sit back and enjoy your PC.

rly tho? It's not something like bad power delivery?  

4 minutes ago, grasspuff said:

rly tho? It's not something like bad power delivery?  

Are you having any specific issues?  If not, it seems like your kinda looking for problems that don't exist.  O.o

On 12/16/2016 at 11:56 AM, done12many2 said:

Are you having any specific issues?  If not, it seems like your kinda looking for problems that don't exist.  O.o

On 12/16/2016 at 11:35 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

On 12/16/2016 at 11:15 AM, CobbleWalker said:

On 12/16/2016 at 10:57 AM, MedievalMatt said:

On 12/16/2016 at 10:49 AM, Drak3 said:

That's actually fairly normal.

My 5930K sees similar utilization jumps. It's usually just because of background processes, drivers, and some programs (for me, mainly Edge, Corsair Link, and MSI's Gaming App) doing their thing. I don't see any jumps in clock due to my 4.2GHz OC though.

So I finally installed a better monitoring software, and I'm currently in the process of tinkering the clocks. 

What is up with my CPU clock? I mean, I'm trying to ignore it but that's proving reallyyy hard to do. Can you guys post graph pictures from your machines so I can at least get a comparison? This graph is is showing my CPU at idle. and it just jumps from 800MHz to 4.6GHz CONSTANTLY, like, there is no in between frequency, just 800MHz and the max clock. 

Capture.JPG

this is the computer im on now

Screenshot from 2016-12-22 00-10-55.png

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It may be different with Intel (I'm an AMD fanboy), but turn Turbo Boost off man.

7 hours ago, grasspuff said:

So I finally installed a better monitoring software, and I'm currently in the process of tinkering the clocks. 

What is up with my CPU clock? I mean, I'm trying to ignore it but that's proving reallyyy hard to do. Can you guys post graph pictures from your machines so I can at least get a comparison? This graph is is showing my CPU at idle. and it just jumps from 800MHz to 4.6GHz CONSTANTLY, like, there is no in between frequency, just 800MHz and the max clock. 

This is normal.  The clock rate changes dynamically much faster that is displayed by these applicaitons.  and with instruction clustering, your CPU may indeed need to get by for a time at 800MHz and then need to ramp to 4.6GHz or whatever your max is, to run a series of instructions, then ramp back down.

your CPU is DESIGNED TO DO THIS.  and this action IS PERFECTLY NORMAL.   800MHz represents a significant power and wear savings for your CPU over always running at 4.6 all the time forever.  Think about it like the RPMs of your Car engine.  if your car always ran at 10K RPM all of the time.  it A - wouldn't last very long and B - wouldn't be fuel efficient in any way.  Despite the rest of your car being totally cool with that.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

I have the 6700k and my CPU at idle is similar to yours. Don't worry

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

4 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

This is normal.  The clock rate changes dynamically much faster that is displayed by these applicaitons.  and with instruction clustering, your CPU may indeed need to get by for a time at 800MHz and then need to ramp to 4.6GHz or whatever your max is, to run a series of instructions, then ramp back down.

your CPU is DESIGNED TO DO THIS.  and this action IS PERFECTLY NORMAL.   800MHz represents a significant power and wear savings for your CPU over always running at 4.6 all the time forever.  Think about it like the RPMs of your Car engine.  if your car always ran at 10K RPM all of the time.  it A - wouldn't last very long and B - wouldn't be fuel efficient in any way.  Despite the rest of your car being totally cool with that.

3 hours ago, laushik said:

I have the 6700k and my CPU at idle is similar to yours. Don't worry

6 hours ago, CDHoward said:

It may be different with Intel (I'm an AMD fanboy), but turn Turbo Boost off man.

Alright then, I'll just leave it be. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease, guys. 

On 12/21/2016 at 5:21 PM, grasspuff said:

Alright then, I'll just leave it be. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease, guys. 

Mark this post as solved.