Too much for the PCI E bus?

I VEry recently built myself my first intel rig, i upgraded from a FX-8370 to a i7 6700K, i decided instead of AMD gpu's i would go for some nvidia is SLI and i think this is my issue. i can run both cards just fine in SLI, but i am a streamer and rely on a ElGato HD 60 pro to capture my xbox one and PS4 gameplay. when i have my EL Gato installed i get a black screen on start up when the cards are in SLI. If the cards are not in SLI then the EL gato works just fine, but the card in slot 2 is not recognized. If i move cards 2 to slot 3 it is visible and usable by the system but i cant SLI from the 3rd slot. does this mean that the PCI-E bus cannot support the SLI and the ELgato?

System Specs

Case- Cooler Master HAF-XB Test Bench

CPU- Intel Core I7-6700K

Motherboard- Asus Z170 pro gaming

Memmory- 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666

GPU- 2x MSI gtx 1070 Gaming X 8G

PSU- Corsair RM850i

SSD1- PNY XLR8 120GB(OS Drive)

SSD2- Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 480GB(Game Drive)

HDD1- WD Black 1 TB(Overflow Game Drive)

HDD2- WD Blue 4 TB(Storage/ Recordings)

I think you've run out of PCI-E Lanes. The 6700K only supports 16 PCI-E lanes and running 2 graphics cards would use all of them. :/

That's probably why your PCI-E capture card won't work.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

8 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

I VEry recently built myself my first intel rig, i upgraded from a FX-8370 to a i7 6700K, i decided instead of AMD gpu's i would go for some nvidia is SLI and i think this is my issue. i can run both cards just fine in SLI, but i am a streamer and rely on a ElGato HD 60 pro to capture my xbox one and PS4 gameplay. when i have my EL Gato installed i get a black screen on start up when the cards are in SLI. If the cards are not in SLI then the EL gato works just fine, but the card in slot 2 is not recognized. If i move cards 2 to slot 3 it is visible and usable by the system but i cant SLI from the 3rd slot. does this mean that the PCI-E bus cannot support the SLI and the ELgato?

System Specs

CPU- Intel Core I7-6700K

PSU- Corsair RM850i

Not enough PCIE lanes.

Just now, WalkingBread said:

i dont understand this

He means SLI is using up all your PCIE lanes, making your PCIE capture card not able to function.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Not enough PCIE lanes.

this is what i figured, just htought it was odd how changing the configuration can make all 3 devices work just not the way i want

1 minute ago, WalkingBread said:

this is what i figured, just htought it was odd how changing the configuration can make all 3 devices work just not the way i want

How? Motherboard/CPU is just disabling PCIE lanes so the others can run.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

How? Motherboard/CPU is just disabling PCIE lanes so the others can run.

because i can use both 1070's and the elgato together, but it cant be SLI and the 2nd 1070 has to be in the 3rd PCI-E slot

because i can use both 1070's and the elgato together, but it cant be SLI and the 2nd 1070 has to be in the 3rd PCI-E slot

Ah. That's probably just because the order it disables the lanes/slots to free up lanes.

14 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

System Specs

CPU- Intel Core I7-6700K

PSU- Corsair RM850i

Sorry, but you'll probably need a "better" cpu, if you want to do everything on the same computer.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

okay your cpu supports 1x16, 2x8, 1x8+ 2x4.... add 4 pcie gen 2.0... you're over your limit unless you've got a multiplexing chip which this motherboard does not have.

though heres a solution Your on a computer that has a 6700k and a 1070 Stream PC games problem solved and in the future you may want to get 1 better card(like the 1080) then 2 cards and sli since sli is just a pain

6 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

though heres a solution Your on a computer that has a 6700k and a 1070 Stream PC games problem solved and in the future you may want to get 1 better card(like the 1080) then 2 cards and sli since sli is just a pain

after the initial set up its been amazing, i vastly outperform my buddy who has identical everything except he has a 1080 which he got on black friday, yet i payed less for my 2 then he did for his 1. by vastly i mean on average i push 40 more FPS than him.

after the initial set up its been amazing, i vastly outperform my buddy who has identical everything except he has a 1080 which he got on black friday, yet i payed less for my 2 then he did for his 1.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here... SLi still functions in x4... If you've got a graphic's card in a x4 slot it's forcing the other card to run in x4, which means your el gato could run in whatever it wants... sort of, but I suspect it runs in x4, at the x8 slot has been slowed down, and it isn't a good enough motherboard to reassign that x8 slot dynamically....

Basically you're running at x4(x8)

x4

x4

3 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here... SLi still functions in x4... If you've got a graphic's card in a x4 slot it's forcing the other card to run in x4, which means your el gato could run in whatever it wants... sort of, but I suspect it runs in x4, at the x8 slot has been slowed down, and it isn't a good enough motherboard to reassign that x8 slot dynamically....

x4

x4

yeah i have no clue on this, im a converted amd fanboy that just did his first Nvidia Intel build, i didnt have this issue with my crossfire 290x's and my elgato i figured it would work the same with the SLI

yeah i have no clue on this, im a converted amd fanboy that just did his first Nvidia Intel build, i didnt have this issue with my crossfire 290x's and my elgato i figured it would work the same with the SLI

The difference is crossfire doesn't give a damn what config it's running in ( and is happy to go as low as x2 speed)

From what I've seen of the motherboard/cpu  (16 total lanes... sort of)I think you're running in x8, x4, x4 setup when it works. nividea SLi however requires you to run the same speed so it's slowing down that top lane to x4 speeds. you need to check the manual to see what speeds the various slots on your motherboard are running (and remember that you get an extra 4 PCIe gen2.0 lanes from the chipset). look it over and you can probably figure out why various slots are failing when you plug your graphics cards into them (demanding x8 performance times 2)

4 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

this isnt a amd vs nvidia thing since radeon cards would also have lane issues this is a motherboard/cpu issue. and or look around your bios and see if you can see any pcie lane settings controls

15 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

after the initial set up its been amazing, i vastly outperform my buddy who has identical everything except he has a 1080 which he got on black friday, yet i payed less for my 2 then he did for his 1. by vastly i mean on average i push 40 more FPS than him.

Hmm thats weird in canada its cheaper to buy a 1080 than to buy 2 1070s. alsoo is his 1080 reference or 3rd party?

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

Hmm thats weird in canada its cheaper to buy a 1080 than to buy 2 1070s. alsoo is his 1080 reference or 3rd party?

his is a brand new Strix asus card, literally baught his a week after i got mine, mine was 305 a peice after rebate.

6 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

The difference is crossfire doesn't give a damn what config it's running in ( and is happy to go as low as x2 speed)

From what I've seen of the motherboard/cpu  (16 total lanes... sort of)I think you're running in x8, x4, x4 setup when it works. nividea SLi however requires you to run the same speed so it's slowing down that top lane to x4 speeds. you need to check the manual to see what speeds the various slots on your motherboard are running (and remember that you get an extra 4 PCIe gen2.0 lanes from the chipset). look it over and you can probably figure out why various slots are failing when you plug your graphics cards into them (demanding x8 performance times 2)

ok see now this makes total sense to me now, thanks dude.

ok see now this makes total sense to me now, thanks dude.

np, glad to help

25 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

x4

x4

22 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

Crossfire can run at x4 however, SLi required X8 minimum. So both your cars are using all 16 lanes. Im assuming your capture card is x4 (so pushing you over the limit).

However it could also be an issue with SLI not being supported in that configuration with that capture card.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, Altecice said:

Crossfire can run at x4 however, SLi required X8 minimum. So both your cars are using all 16 lanes. Im assuming your capture card is x4 (so pushing you over the limit).

However it could also be an issue with SLI not being supported in that configuration with that capture card.

depends. the chipset will provide 4 lanes @ gen 2.0 on older chipsets. I have no idea if they updated it for lga 1151, but i might be enough to run an el gato.