Too much for the PCI E bus?

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

depends. the chipset will provide 4 lanes @ gen 2.0 on older chipsets. I have no idea if they updated it for lga 1151, but i might be enough to run an el gato.

Are you talking about a PLX chip? if so I believe somebody above mentioned that this motherboard does not have it. The only solution would be to buy a CPU with more lanes or a motherboard with a PLX chip.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

depends. the chipset will provide 4 lanes @ gen 2.0 on older chipsets. I have no idea if they updated it for lga 1151, but i might be enough to run an el gato.

so my buddy with the 1080 said that it may be that i need a x99 board and not a z170 board

1 minute ago, WalkingBread said:

so my buddy with the 1080 said that it may be that i need a x99 board and not a z170 board

Yup X99(A) Chipset has CPU's with more lanes. the 6800k has 28,the 6850k has 40

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, Altecice said:

Are you talking about a PLX chip? if so I believe somebody above mentioned that this motherboard does not have it. The only solution would be to buy a CPU with more lanes or a motherboard with a PLX chip.

no, the chipset itself has a few extra lanes irrespective of the cpu.

2 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

x99 starts at 28 lanes, and goes up to 40. Personally if you're doing any form of content creation x99 wrecks everything else... I might happen to have a 5960x.... just saying. (BTW, I happen to have 80 lanes to play with, plus the chipset.... That's a PLX chip)

here is another question related to this same PCI bus question, does a M.2 SLot share the same bus, i was thinking of switching my boot drove over to a m.2 instead of the sata drive.

22 minutes ago, WalkingBread said:

here is another question related to this same PCI bus question, does a M.2 SLot share the same bus, i was thinking of switching my boot drove over to a m.2 instead of the sata drive.

Yeah, it disables pcie lanes to free up bandwidth

On 12/15/2016 at 8:13 AM, WalkingBread said:

his is a brand new Strix asus card, literally baught his a week after i got mine, mine was 305 a peice after rebate.

mines also a asus strix