What Is Your Audio Setup?

DatScrubBoi

I posted another topic related to this but no one replied.

I'm having some issues with my audio setup and just want to see what other have done.

How do you guys manage all of your audio? What is plugged into what?

How do you manage having both a speaker setup and your headphones?

How do you manage the audio from your consoles in all this too?

I have my headphones plugged into my monitor, my 5.1 speakers into my computer. I use audioswitch to switch between the speakers and the headphones.

Edit: my monitor is HDMI, so it has an audio port in the back

got a beyerdynamics dt770pro 250ohm connected to a xonar u 7 from asus... #<3theheadphones

Just now, DaBeggad said:

got a beyerdynamics dt770pro 250ohm connected to a xonar u 7 from asus... #<3theheadphones

yes btw... i got a sony speaker setup (not dat gud) connected to the xonar u7 and the headphones connected to the speaker :) so it gets amped twice :D 

1 hour ago, skylerskinner said:

I'm having some issues with my audio setup and just want to see what other have done.

Dorm Audio Setup: Laptop => USB Cable => Emotiva Stealth DC-1 => Various headphones/soon to be Emotiva Airmotiv 6 or JBL LSR305 (it automatically switches based on whether or not I have headphones plugged in.)

Home Audio Setup: Desktop => Optical => Really nice denon receiver from a few years ago => Carver bookshelf speakers/headphones (also automatically switches)

Possible future setup: Schiit Modi 2 Multibit => Asgard 2/Lyr 2/Jotunheim/Valhalla 2 (haven't been able to decide between them.) => Powered speakers.

For the most part, a lot of the stuff with pre-outs will let you use a power amp/powered monitors really easily.

I don't actually own/use consoles at all, but the best solution for something like that would be to buy a nice receiver. For instance, that Denon receiver I have at home has like 6 HDMI ports, as well as component and composite video (which, IMO, is better than the current HDMI-only receivers, as I can plug my old consoles and my new ones/anything else I want into this receiver.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The thing I'm trying to do is organize my setup so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging things. A couple of audio switches would work fine, but I can't find any good ones, only cheap Chinese plastic things that degrade the audio significantly.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I'm trying to switch between 2 audio sources (my PC and my consoles coming out of an audio extractor) and 2 outputs (my speakers and my headphone amp).

I used a small mixer but it just didn't work well...

Anyone got any ideas?

Desktop Setup:  Desktop --> Bifrost 4490 --> Asgard 2 --> HD650s + Audioengine A5+

Portable: iPhone or AK70 with my IM02s

My speakers have a remote so I use a splitter to split the line-out of the Bifrost to my speakers and control both parts of my setup manually.  I don't like using Schiit stuff as a pre-amp, they get so hot to the point that the volume knob just burns my fingers.  I wish they could isolate the volume knob somehow.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Asgard/Bifrost stack in the future.  I want to go multi-bit and get a tube amp at some point (or at least a hybrid tube amp).  I might just get a Modi MB, hide it somewhere at the back of my desk and maybe connect it up with a Lyr.  I just wish Schiit made a more affordable tube hybrid that isn't insane like the Lyr 2.  Like maybe a Valhalla priced hybrid with similar output power to an Asgard. 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I have basically four setups, main and 2nd rigs share same speaker setup:

Main gaming (3960X rig) - Oppo HA-1 -> (various cans) -> KRK Rokit5 G3 

2nd rig (4770K) - Fostex HP-A4 -> (direct - various cans) -> (via RCA connection) Oppo HA-1 -> KRK Rokit5 G3

3rd rig (2600K) - Gustard X12 -> Gustard H10 -> (various cans) -> Virtue One (speaker amp) -> Bose 201

4th rig (FX8350) - SB Zx -> Logitech Z-5500 (great for movies!)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I have a setup for speakers/subwoofer and headphones, but it's all tied into one source essentially.

PC -> USB -> Audio GD NFB-11 amp & dac for headphones ->  RCA cables from DAC output of NFB-11 to my Onkyo TX-8020 receiver -> speaker wire from receiver to my Fluance SX6 speakers, and then an RCA cable that goes from my receiver to my Bic America F12 subwoofer.

The NFB-11 amps headphones, has a line-output, and also has a pre-amp on those line outputs, so you can either use it in fixed mode or pre-amp mode for the speaker amplifier.   So I can adjust my speaker's volumes from my headphone amplifier without having to mess with my receiver's volume.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The thing I'm trying to do is organize my setup so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging things. A couple of audio switches would work fine, but I can't find any good ones, only cheap Chinese plastic things that degrade the audio significantly.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I'm trying to switch between 2 audio sources (my PC and my consoles coming out of an audio extractor) and 2 outputs (my speakers and my headphone amp).

I used a small mixer but it just didn't work well...

Anyone got any ideas?

2 Schiit SYS would do the trick.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

PC -> ODAC/O2 combo (connected via USB) -> headphones. (too many to list)

PC -> Argon A7460 (speakers, connected via USB) Soon some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and a receiver with optical.

Then I just switch between playback devices depending on what I want to use.

On the go: Lumia 930 or Fiio M3 ->RE 400i, jaybird x or M50

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

2 Schiit SYS would do the trick.

I never knew they made something like that, thanks!

It is a bit pricey for 2 of them for my pretty lo-fi setup though, but I had never even heard of a passive preamp (what a noob), and after searching for them I did find something from China (only from China, must be pretty new) that seems like it would do okay, it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

I'm just worried that it might degrade the sound:

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW/

What do ya'll think?

I run two soundcards overclocked, and watercooled and in sli and i can hear voice chats from the enemy teams in csgo its amazing.

no im kidding lol

I use a sb live 24-bit with a splitter that goes to my platonic rig headset and 5.1 1000 watt amp

18 hours ago, skylerskinner said:

Currently, I just use my motherboard's on-board Realtek Audio pipped through Voicemeeter Banana, a virtual software mixer.

I'd love to acquire a Scarlett 2i4, or even better, their 18i20 rackmount interface, but that's an expensive purchase I'm not willing to make.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

19 hours ago, skylerskinner said:

I manage my audio through the default windows configuration thing lol. I listed what i used in a previous post

45 minutes ago, ZXL_115 said:

I use a sb live 24-bit with a splitter that goes to my platonic rig headset and 5.1 1000 watt amp

and for consoles, ps4 and ps3 go through my amp to my tv, and my older consoles with composite go through splitters to one red and white audio cables to my amp.

I can attach a pic to this of how i use my sb live with my headphones and amp in a bit. :) 

It is a bit pricey for 2 of them for my pretty lo-fi setup though, but I had never even heard of a passive preamp (what a noob), and after searching for them I did find something from China (only from China, must be pretty new) that seems like it would do okay, it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW/

What do ya'll think?

if you're worried about audio degration, it wont be bad, or any at all with an external amp. An internal sound card or onboard sound can suffer from fuzzy sound because of nearby eletronics in your pc.

I spaced my sb live from my 1050ti, and i still get a little bit of fuzziness. I think you might be good with that external amp. :) 

PC -> SMSL M3 (Bought it ~2 weeks before Schiit announced the Fulla 2, RIP) -> AKG K7XX

Poorman setup:

PC: Fiio K1 (usb) + DT770 Pro 80 ohms + Takstar TCM370 mic :D

On the wishlist: AKG K7xx / K612 pro + Schiit Fulla 2

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

1 hour ago, ZXL_115 said:

if you're worried about audio degration, it wont be bad, or any at all with an external amp. An internal sound card or onboard sound can suffer from fuzzy sound because of nearby eletronics in your pc.

I spaced my sb live from my 1050ti, and i still get a little bit of fuzziness. I think you might be good with that external amp. :) 

You clearly don't know what we are talking about.

2 hours ago, ZXL_115 said:

I run two soundcards overclocked, and watercooled and in sli and i can hear voice chats from the enemy teams in csgo its amazing.

no im kidding lol

Good for you. None of those "specs" are meaningful in any way.

3 hours ago, skylerskinner said:

What do ya'll think?

I'm sure it'll be fine. Keep in mind that if you want to use both inputs/outputs, you'll have to get some sort of RCA to XLR converter, as none of your equipment is likely to have XLR natively. (they're pretty cheap adapters though) 

Also, nobsound isn't super well known, but they are known as a halfway decent (at least) chinese brand, so you'll be fine.

Yeah, the Schiit stuff is kinda pricey. I just suggested it since it was what I knew of off the top of my head.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Rear computer audio to ATH-M50x.  Also, a portable Bluetooth speaker that sits on my desk (RDP-XF300iPN, so a quality one and not one of those cheap ones that sound terrible).  

The Bluetooth speaker is set to the default in Windows audio manager.  So when it's on, Windows automatically switches to the speakers.  When they're off, they show up as disconnected, and Windows defaults back to the headphones.  

Really nothing fancy and It works quite well. Everything sounds good enough for my tastes. :D 

2 hours ago, ZXL_115 said:

I manage my audio through the default windows configuration thing lol. I listed what i used in a previous post

and for consoles, ps4 and ps3 go through my amp to my tv, and my older consoles with composite go through splitters to one red and white audio cables to my amp.

I can attach a pic to this of how i use my sb live with my headphones and amp in a bit. :) 

forgot to include my xbox one controllers to my pc, I use the audio jacks on those wirelessly :D I'll send pictures in a few of my audio setup.

I have my splitter from my sb live 

Then there's my platonics rig mixer, which is really nice, and i use the usb to power it and for voice chat (my sb live goes through it) and yes i know i have ur beats hooked up lmao (i didn't wanna use the headset)

Then lastly, my 1000 watt amp, 5.1, and the 8in 250 watt sub is amazing.

And that covers it. :D the speakers are around the room (obviously though) and im really happy with my setup. :)

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

26 minutes ago, ZXL_115 said:

snip

I don't believe that's a kilowatt amp for a second.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I use a Creative Play! 2 USB sound card which connects to a set of Creative I-Trigue 3300 speakers. I used to get interference from my motherboard output whenever my GPUs spool up, but the USB sound card solved that.

Other than that, I have an assortment of headphones that I use (which just connects to my speakers' controller). I primarily use a combination of Beyerdynamic T51s, Audio-Technica IM02s and Onkyo ES-HF300s for music, but also use a pair of Beyerdynamic COPs for gaming/movies.