What do we want from zen?

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

:P 

Although lately AMD temps are considerably lower than Intel's, since their CPUs would throttle at lower temps (more than 70 would kill an FX, intel's can reach 80 under load, nothing to see here). The problem is what it takes to keep them at that ^_^

I'd disagree with you on that one. I own an A10 7870k apu and it regularly gets in the eighties under load, 50°C - 60°C idle. That's the reason I'm getting a new cooler for Christmas.

4 minutes ago, Wrb said:

I'd disagree with you on that one. I own an A10 7870k apu and it regularly gets in the eighties under load, 50°C - 60°C idle. That's the reason I'm getting a new cooler for Christmas.

It's true that FM2+ CPUs tend to go higher than AM3+ CPUs. However, 80s is still beyond the thermal limit for that CPU as far as AMD is concerned. Good for you if it doesn't throttle, but making it cooler is surely a good idea.

60C on idle, however, is not normal for any CPU: I think there's something to troubleshoot there.

Im glad to see this chip come out.   I have a amd am2+ chip still running and is was great for a long time.   Didn't have the specs into had,  but it was always super smooth..  That said..  Intel has a huge lead in lots of areas still.   My 6850k is practically a xeon that just happens to have an unlocked multplier...  That means full virtualization support and lots of other things.     Amd is going to have to make sure  they support every feature intel does fully,  or they will be relagated to a mid range pc  role (again) 

I'm just hoping for some nice priced chips. For my main rig I'll probably still end up getting something like a 6700k / 7700k but I have a friend who can't seem to grasp the idea that CPU's have different sockets and chipsets and I might end up getting him an AM4 cpu/mobo combo if it turns out to have an upgrade path anything like AM3 (If I'm remembering correctly).

It'd be awesome to have a Zen CPU with 4 cores/threads at around $100 usd to end the reign of the dual core once and for all.  

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

What do I want from Zen? A processor that isn't "it's as good as Intel's (insert 1-2gen old SKU)  chip!" 

Why would I, as a consumer, wait for 2 year old performance let only be hype? You can either buy 2 gen old Intel stuff cheaper at that time anyway or have more than enough time to save a little extra for a current Intel platform due to "It will be out eventually.." slide-showey AMD.

I don't want to wait for outdated performance when current petformance of the competition is crushing it. That's how I feel. 

I'm still curious and can see myself upgrading the GF's rig, but not if it can't wow me over the now aged 2500k.

Honestly I don't tHink Intel gas given us more power in the chips 

For example I get about 10% lower performance out of my i7-3770k (Oc 4.4 Ghz)  a compared to my dad's i7 6700k (4.6 Ghz)

I want zen to be cheap lol

Like, $240 for the 4/8T one

And hopefully $150 for the APU

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR