is hdd 100% usage a normal thing ?

sidou

hello everyone
so i finished my pc build just recently and am in love with the performance of every part  ..except the hard drive it's bugging me how it is always on 100% usage and make kind of a loud noise i know it's natural noise but sometimes loading games take little bit too long and Windows start lagging little bit ... it's not a big deal and i know an ssd can solve everything but i can't afford an ssd for the time being.
knowing that my hard drive is a 1TB from Seagate and it's the second one i get after the first one had noise issues and Windows craching but they exchanged it for me etc ...
i am still afraid that this one has problems too 
i tried to fix it over all (Seagate repair tool .. defragler) 
to go back to my initial question : is the 100% usage of the hard drive a normal thing or it can be helped ! ?
thank you for answering me i hear the ltt community is really helpful and loving , have a great day guys

As far as i know there is no known fix for for this issue, Multiple members here have this issue, 3 pc's in my house have this issue, from prebuilt to custom built

Things you can do to prevent 

Uninstall Skype if you have it

Go to services.msc and disable BITS and Superfetch

Frag your HDD every now and then.

Indeed buying an SSD did fix this issue, for me at leaste, the root problem is different for everyone.

nothing against you but thats like the 10th post of this today... are we celebrating hdd workload day :D as i said no offense just noticing

8 minutes ago, sidou said:

hello everyone
so i finished my pc build just recently and am in love with the performance of every part  ..except the hard drive it's bugging me how it is always on 100% usage and make kind of a loud noise i know it's natural noise but sometimes loading games take little bit too long and Windows start lagging little bit ... it's not a big deal and i know an ssd can solve everything but i can't afford an ssd for the time being.
knowing that my hard drive is a 1TB from Seagate and it's the second one i get after the first one had noise issues and Windows craching but they exchanged it for me etc ...
i am still afraid that this one has problems too 
i tried to fix it over all (Seagate repair tool .. defragler) 
to go back to my initial question : is the 100% usage of the hard drive a normal thing or it can be helped ! ?
thank you for answering me i hear the ltt community is really helpful and loving , have a great day guys

100% usage on a HDD is pretty normal if your OS is in it. You can make it smaller by taking control of what applications use it and when.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

That is reasonably normal especially for an os drive

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Normal, if it is an hard drive being used as a boot drive, especially sata I, and II drives.

Some things that helps are defragmenting it, or stopping programs from reading/writing to it.

Beaides that a ssd as a boot drive would help transfer the load of the OS to it speeds up the OSes like windows a lot, and keeps the hdd usage down until you actually use programs on it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

thank you all for your answers you've been really helpful to me now i know what to do ^^ ltt ♥