How good are these specs for a basic everyday PC build

I am currently helping a friend build a PC for his home/office use. It will mainly be used for heavy web browsing and office and productivity apps. The only game he would be playing are FIFA and CS.

The part list that I was suggesting for roughly matches the one mentioned here and also within the budget he was looking for.

But I have following questions

- Is the case mentioned in the list any good? what alternatives would you suggest in same price range.

- Would the RX 460 be necessary or will that be an overkill for this gaming needs? any other suggestions?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, ankit_k said:

I am currently helping a friend build a PC for his home/office use. It will mainly be used for heavy web browsing and office and productivity apps. The only game he would be playing are FIFA and CS.

The part list that I was suggesting for roughly matches the one mentioned here and also within the budget he was looking for.

- Is the case mentioned in the list any good? what alternatives would you suggest in same price range.

- Would the RX 460 be necessary or will that be an overkill for this gaming needs? any other suggestions?

Thanks

Don't get the G440. Get the G3258 and overclock it. Even with a cheap cooler, the gains in performance are SO worth it. 

Every modern PC should have an SSD.

I personally don't like that case (100% subjective topic)

I'm ignoring all peripherals...

No it would not be overkill, and it is a good budget option that allows for comfortable gaming on those light titles, and some breathing room if your friend decides to game more.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

9 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Don't get the G440. Get the G3258 and overclock it. Even with a cheap cooler, the gains in performance are SO worth it. 

No it would not be overkill, and it is a good budget option that allows for comfortable gaming on those light titles, and some breathing room if your friend decides to game more.

SSDs are not really required for the games he is going to be playing though

6 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

G3258 is almost double the price in India. Also overclocking if not an option, because the place where the system will be kept is very congested, and I am sure he won't be opening the case even to clean the system :P 

Any other case suggestions you have? There are other cheaper options available here from brands like Intex and Circle.

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

SSDs are not really required for the games he is going to be playing though

They are required for a generally decent system in 2016. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

I mean not really, essentially, their only use is to speed up the transfer of data such as loading maps and such, and on top of that, with the price tag of an ssd, you could upgrade the gpu or cpu

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

SSD's are nice but for general purpose computer not performance, I would go without it or get a 64GB SSD for OS and that's it.

But as a software developer, I'd use 64GB SSD for code AND OS.

I was anyways going to get a basic 128/250 ssd, since he already has an old HDD and also an external drive for most data.

2 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

I mean not really, essentially, their only use is to speed up the transfer of data such as loading maps and such, and on top of that, with the price tag of an ssd, you could upgrade the gpu or cpu

Man doesn't need a better CPU or GPU (although I would recommend an i3 if he can afford it, the extra threads are helpful, even ultrabooks have 4). although having used a dual core for work you can get by.

And SSDs do more than that, they speed up boot times, program opening times, searching, pretty much all the tasks users do every day.

They are definitely the most noticeable upgrade.

7 minutes ago, ankit_k said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

G3258 is almost double the price in India. Also overclocking if not an option, because the place where the system will be kept is very congested, and I am sure he won't be opening the case even to clean the system :P 

Any other case suggestions you have? There are other cheaper options available here from brands like Intex and Circle.

I'm a fan of some of the Silverstone mITX cases out there: small, cheap, and good quality with solid features. Some example include the SG-13, RVZ-02

IMO, I still think you should save the extra money from buying the ssd and upgrade one of the other parts, but just my opinion :D

2 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Man doesn't need a better CPU or GPU (although I would recommend an i3 if he can afford it, the extra threads are helpful, even ultrabooks have 4). although having used a dual core for work you can get by.

And SSDs do more than that, they speed up boot times, program opening times, searching, pretty much all the tasks users do every day.

They are definitely the most noticeable upgrade.

They are barely noticeable in cs, yes they can boot up faster and load programs faster, but that doesn't give you the raw performance that you need to play games and an ssd is not really necessary for a budget system

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

They are barely noticeable in cs, yes they can boot up faster and load programs faster, but that doesn't give you the raw performance that you need to play games and an ssd is not really necessary for a budget system

My god... people do things other than gaming. Like OP said the user would be doing. It is well worth the minimal extra cost. 

As much of a computers slowness in basic usage cases come from the storage drive, an SSD is nearly a must. The other source of slowness if a computer newb downloading random crap and choking the system. An i3 or even an i5 would be more tolerant, and reduce support calls if this user is a novice. Otherwise, an i3 or the Pentium will work. 

For the GPU, you could probably get away with the i3s iGPU (I might  recommend this route to get the SSD or i5), at least, until more demanding games are considered. 

Keep in mind, I'm considering general user experience, not just for gaming only. For this purpose, the SSD is a huge boon. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I used my brothers computer, which doesnt have an SSD, when I was home for a weekend and it killed me. SSDs are one of the parts that will make a pc feel so much faster.

Btw his pc is my old one so I know how fast it felt with an SSD

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

13 hours ago, ankit_k said:

Thanks

what is your budget in INR.

On 13/12/2016 at 2:53 AM, Tim Serious said:

what is your budget in INR.

Under 30k with peripherals minus the software.

get a cheap keyboard and mouse for under 1k 

under 29k for build ur only option in India is to go with this ....

1) pentium g4400

2) h110 motherboard 

3) graphics card - gtx 1050

4) ram - 8gb single stick ddr4

5) hdd - 1 tb wd blue 

6) psu - antec VP450P

7) cheap cabinet under 2k.