Fido 60 is not 60Mbps but it's also not what you think

I recently moved in to my new place. And I needed to get a new Internet. After searching some big names in Toronto I came up with

Bell

Virgin

TekSavvy

Rogers

and Fido

I don't know how much I use per month though so safe to say  I need unlimited usage

Bell - Heard all the positive things about it as bing the best mobile network in Canada. So the home network must be solid too if not on top.

Well clearly for people living in Canada should know why I did not pick that. Cheapest at 65 CAD/month with limited usage (75GB), 15 DL and 10 UL. So no. They do have unlimited but it's the last choice which is also the most expensive one at 150 CAD per month. No thanks bell. Yeah speed looks nice but don't what I am gonna do with it. I do gaming and stream videos but since I have no 4K display so only at 1080p.

Virgin - Only 2 options but I do have a Virgin plan/contract on my phone and happy with it. The unlimited plan is DL 25 and UL 10. Why not? Cause I have found some better deals

TekSavyy - Lots of options but the unlimited still comes pricey to me. Also I needed to do some research on internet differences (like ADSL or Phone or smt). So uhm. No don't teach me on that I already have internet.

Rogers - 67 CAD per month for new customer (for first 2 years) with unlimited usage and D 60 and U I don't remember. Ignite u60. (it's not on their site anymore, deal is gone). So why not? Because Fido was cheaper by 7 bucks. Even though Rogers been very popular but I had problems: the modem did not connect to Ethernet cable after 1 month (I was renting the place btw), wifi keeps going on and off (laptop and phone works perfect so why would a desktop pcie wifi adapter does bad and it's new too)

Fido - 60 CAD per month (for first year only, offer ends at the end of this year), unlimited usage, D 60 and U did not specify. So it is cheap. I have used Fido before on my phone

So as you can tell by the title I went ahead with Fido

There are 3 ways you can get it.

1. Call them by phone (don't want to talk much and I can misspell letters)

2. Chat with them online (nice but I ended up asleep while waiting for their reply so I just canceled)

3. Meet them in person at Fido branch (did 2 previous points really justify me meeting them?)

Then they gave me the Modem (which is free by the way). Which is exactly as advertised (the one on the right, not the one with the screen of the dog)

Dog in laptop with gift

Setting up was not difficult. Just need to fine a cable to plug it in which every house should have (not a network guy but I think it's called coax cable)

Then you proceed to plugging it to the power socket in your wall which is not hard too. After waiting for all light to appear you then connect it via wifi or wired to the network to setup the internet

What really worries me that someone else could be smart and fast enough to connect it in time and set it up before me. That didn't happen though. Phew

You setup wifi name and password (which you can change later with no problem) and done

Also what is inside the box should interest people too: A power cable, 2 coax cable, a splitter for the coax cable, a short ethernet cable which I did not measure the length but not that short, instruction paper and the modem itself.

Now for testing. So I went to speedtest.net to check speed. (I thought it was speedtest.com and the first time I made the mistake Mozilla saves it for me now because I get used to type one letter and hit enter so whenever I type speed it will show up speedtest.com and I would press enter still)

Now the speed was not up to 60 Mbps as advertised. Instead it keeps giving 70-80 and reaching up to 90 and even 96. I mean why? or how?

That was the first test ever. Latency was around 30ms but it was on wifi. Download is 10 ish or something.

So I thought to myself: Maybe they gave me high speed for the first few days just to surprise me?

So almost a week passed and here I am testing it again. 82.68 average. It never dropped below 70. Hardly reaching 60 is for sure. 12ms ping so totally gameable but I haven't done gaming as I have no gpu yet.

People are talking about Internet throttling but I guess that's not what I would worry. Well it's only a week but still proves me to be quite good.

So far only experienced 1 time where Internet goes off but only for 10 mins or so.

So if you live in Canada and considering yourself internet then Fido is not a bad choice

Teksavvy lets you download(or use the internet in general) during 2-6am without it affecting your usage, so if you don't want unlimited its pretty good. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Teksavvy lets you download(or use the internet in general) during 2-6am without it affecting your usage, so if you don't want unlimited its pretty good. 

2am and 6am? But I have to sleep

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

2am and 6am? But I have to sleep

steam lets you schedule downloads. its only as useful as you want it do be I guess. 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

steam lets you schedule downloads, its only as useful as you want it do be I guess. 

utorrent or bittorrent doesn't maybe. but still I would not want to leave pc on all the time as I might end up paying more for electricity bill. besides the pc is right next to me and cooler is quite loud and... why have to worry bout all of that when you can go unlimited for same money (almost)

qBitTorrent does.  Has two download/upload limits, one normal and one alternate. Can check use alternate limits between these times, and choose between every day, or for a specific day.

Just now, mariushm said:

qBitTorrent does.  Has two download/upload limits, one normal and one alternate. Can check use alternate limits between these times, and choose between every day, or for a specific day.

yeah but i went with the no worry, hassle free fido. but good to know and as I mentioned I still need to power the pc to download

59 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

yeah but i went with the no worry, hassle free fido. but good to know and as I mentioned I still need to power the pc to download

thats when you buy an i3 6100t, no graphics card, a 120gb ssd, and unplug the screen when you're done. EZ 

5 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

So I thought to myself: Maybe they gave me high speed for the first few days just to surprise me?

So almost a week passed and here I am testing it again. 82.68 average. It never dropped below 70. Hardly reaching 60 is for sure. 12ms ping so totally gameable but I haven't done gaming as I have no gpu yet.

That happened with my internet, it was getting 212  (Over the 200 advertised) and 12 upload (Same as advertised) But now its only running around 180,

Don't get your hopes up.