Motherboard casualties?

Let's say I overclocked my FX-4170 to 4.5/4.6 GHz and the power delivery(4+1) on my mobo(GA-970A-DS3) went boom because of the power the CPU needs(125/140W stock).What would the casualties be? Would it kill my CPU,GPU,RAM or just the mobo?

Yes, I know Gigabyte mobos are like tanks- my friend had a socket 7 AT one, until he connected the two AT connectors wrong and fried it. I have a G31M-ES2C that has gone trough whatnot and is still running(could OC a Celeron 430 to 9 GHz), but an overclocked 140W TDP FX should be enough to push the power delivery system that bit too far, or is it?

1 minute ago, number004130 said:

Let's say I overclocked my FX-4170 to 4.5/4.6 GHz and the power delivery(4+1) on my mobo(GA-970A-DS3) went boom because of the power the CPU needs(125/140W stock).What would the casualties be? Would it kill my CPU,GPU,RAM or just the mobo?

Yes, I know Gigabyte mobos are like tanks- my friend had a socket 7 AT one, until he connected the two AT connectors wrong and fried it. I have a G31M-ES2C that has gone trough whatnot and is still running(could OC a Celeron 430 to 9 GHz), but an overclocked 140W TDP FX should be enough to push the power delivery system that bit too far, or is it?

It might kill your RAM, but your GPU would probably be protected. 

CPU is a goner. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

9 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

It might kill your RAM, but your GPU would probably be protected. 

CPU is a goner. 

Actually the cpu might be fine, I resurrected my r9 290 after 4 capacitors in the power delivery burst. If the PD dies all that usually happens is that the cpu can't get enough power, not that it gets more than it can take.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let's stay on topic...

Topic title edited 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

50 minutes ago, number004130 said:

Proof or bullshit.

An 8800GTX had a shunt resistor fried and therefore it probably overvolted the GPU hard and killed it.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Proof or bullshit.

An 8800GTX had a shunt resistor fried and therefore it probably overvolted the GPU hard and killed it.

ok, it may have been 7.something. That's just the maximum multiplier.

48 minutes ago, number004130 said:

ok, it may have been 7.something. That's just the maximum multiplier.

You would also need LN2 for it to actually run at that speed for longer than a few seconds.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats