RX 480 vs GTX 1060 same price- which is better?

Grizzly3124

I came with my problems regarding my pc build, and you guys came through. You helped me ascend and build my first battlestation!

I've currently got a R9 280 coupled with an i5 4460 and two monitors. The frames aren't doing me any justice so I feel an upgrade is due. I'm currently playing BF1 with HOTS from time to time and occasionally buy top AAA games.

With a budget around €250-€300 I've found myself in the 480-1060 bracket. I've found both cards at around €280 and don't know which one to choose. Both are top of the range 8gb and 6gb respectively. The cards I've found on my local Amazon are the Sapphire RX 480 NX 8gb and the Palit 1060 Dual Bulk 6gb.

So guys, considering what you have tried and what you have bought, which one should I go for? The reviews I've seen online don't really allow me to make a final conclusion.

Bonus question: Is there any chance of bottlenecking with my cpu?

Thanks!

Cpu should be fine and 1060 edges out the 480 in dx11 but loses in dx12 as of right now, so if you wanna keep it for maybe 2-3 years go 480. Also you cant sli with 1060 if you are into that sorta thing

1 minute ago, Grizzly3124 said:

I came with my problems regarding my pc build, and you guys came through. You helped me ascend and build my first battlestation!

I've currently got a R9 280 coupled with an i5 4460 and two monitors. The frames aren't doing me any justice so I feel an upgrade is due. I'm currently playing BF1 with HOTS from time to time and occasionally buy top AAA games.

With a budget around €250-€300 I've found myself in the 480-1060 bracket. I've found both cards at around €280 and don't know which one to choose. Both are top of the range 8gb and 6gb respectively. The cards I've found on my local Amazon are the Sapphire RX 480 NX 8gb and the Palit 1060 Dual Bulk 6gb.

So guys, considering what you have tried and what you have bought, which one should I go for? The reviews I've seen online don't really allow me to make a final conclusion.

Bonus question: Is there any chance of bottlenecking with my cpu?

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of the 6GB GTX 1060, but it's a sapphire 8GB 480, so I have to go with the AMD card here. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

GTX 1060 6gb. would be a little bit better. Your cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck. But of course you could upgrade it and get better performance

If you're currently or are planning to play more DX12 or Vulcan games then go with AMD, if not then Nvidia.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

If you want to keep it for a while, the RX 480 is the better option.

Also, freesync and crossfire support.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Overall theyre pretty much the same. The 1060 is better right now, the 480 is looking to be better in the future. Either way neither one is amazing faster than the other. I'd say get whichever you can find for cheaper

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1060 has less VRam and no sli capibility and is faster then the RX 480 in DX11 titles while the RX 480 has more VRam and has crossfire capibility and is faster in DX12 games which most of the new games will probably be developed on with vulkan being the other alternitive for new games which AMD is the one who created vulkan and so far runs better on AMD cards.

480 cause backplate. 480 cause gorgeous. 480 best brand of AMD vs nvidia meh brand. 

1 hour ago, YongKang said:

What's your resolution and refresh rate of your monitors?

My main is 27inch, 1920x1080 60hz. The other is 24inch with a lower refresh rate (it's a tv)

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Cpu should be fine and 1060 edges out the 480 in dx11 but loses in dx12 as of right now, so if you wanna keep it for maybe 2-3 years go 480. Also you cant sli with 1060 if you are into that sorta thing

I'm not into SLI as I've only been gaming on pc for two years. I guess, as dx12 will become predominant, the rx280 should do. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Stardar1 said:

I'm a big fan of the 6GB GTX 1060, but it's a sapphire 8GB 480, so I have to go with the AMD card here. 

What do you mean by it's a Sapphire? Are they reknown for good cards?

1 hour ago, Moress said:

Overall theyre pretty much the same. The 1060 is better right now, the 480 is looking to be better in the future. Either way neither one is amazing faster than the other. I'd say get whichever you can find for cheaper

That's the thing, I'm not looking to upgrade again in another year. The longer it lasts with higher fps, the better

1 hour ago, Mike Soda said:

If you're currently or are planning to play more DX12 or Vulcan games then go with AMD, if not then Nvidia.

That's the thing, who knows which games will be coming out with dx12 vs dx11? I'm looking to upgrade again in another 2-3 years

28 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

480 cause backplate. 480 cause gorgeous. 480 best brand of AMD vs nvidia meh brand.

Just the answer I was looking for :P Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Grizzly3124 said:

What do you mean by it's a Sapphire? Are they reknown for good cards?

SAPPHIRE is the EVGA of AMD. They are always great, incredibly reliable and you know you are not getting a bad deal. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

8 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

SAPPHIRE is the EVGA of AMD. They are always great, incredibly reliable and you know you are not getting a bad deal. 

there rx cards suck. xfx and msi are much better.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

there rx cards suck. xfx and msi are much better.

You are the first person to ever give me this opinion, everywhere else I've looked had great reviews, so please explain. 

Solitaire. 

52 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

You are the first person to ever give me this opinion, everywhere else I've looked had great reviews, so please explain. 

The cooler is poo and noisy.  The pcb is ok.  Look in any rx480 owners thread.  Sapphire cards are normally great,  but not this gen. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

23 hours ago, Grizzly3124 said:

My main is 27inch, 1920x1080 60hz. The other is 24inch with a lower refresh rate (it's a tv)

I would lean towards a GTX1060 in this case. The RX 480 truly shines when paired with a 144Hz freesync display.

With the most recent drivers, the performance in DX11 games that are not Grand Theft Auto V can be described as "basically the same", and the 480 continues to do better than the 1060 in most DX12/Vulkan games.

If they cost the same, I'd get the 480, since you can get a sweet freesync monitor in the future to go with it.

The 1060 uses less electricity though.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

On 12/5/2016 at 5:51 PM, Stardar1 said:

GTR, strix and MSI gaming are the best 480s. The nitro is in a close 2nd place though. That heatsink is just too small to complete with the other ones I just mentioned in acoustics and temps. The PCB is great though.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit