China may get an exclusive GTX1060 3GB based on a cut GP104 GPU

zMeul
15 hours ago, zMeul said:

via BIOS

hue hue hue time to flash 1060 BIOS to unlock more shaders :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hue hue hue time to flash 1060 BIOS to unlock more shaders :P

Regular GTX 1060s 6GBs will not be affected since they already contain the maximum amount of shaders unlocked

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Honest Question: "Nvidia, why can't you just more numbers instead of this confusing naming and SKUs poorly advertised?"

Nvidia: "Because fuck you, that's why."

8 months later they'll respond again with "because fuck you, that's why TI"

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Regular GTX 1060s 6GBs will not be affected since they already contain the maximum amount of shaders unlocked

yah ofc they wont, i was referint to these new cards for china only, but import and unlock lol, i dont think they will be just BIOS deactivated though im going to guess they are physically disabled to some extent

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

9/10 that isn't the only way they disable the cores. Otherwise you could just re-enable them via a custom BIOS.

people actually used to do stuff like that, nvidia cockblocked that though. they probably have some electrical component that tells the bios what card it is and the bios is hardcoded to disable or enable things based on that. (im not sure though but i remember people hacking cards to become quadro's and the other way around)

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i don't think they will be just BIOS deactivated though im going to guess they are physically disabled to some extent

there will be way too much work since every single GPU will have it's very own defect

2 hours ago, tlink said:

people actually used to do stuff like that, nvidia cockblocked that though. they probably have some electrical component that tells the bios what card it is and the bios is hardcoded to disable or enable things based on that. (im not sure though but i remember people hacking cards to become quadro's and the other way around)

Anyone remember reflashing GT's into Ultras?

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.