Is it worth even downloading?

So I bough in to Star Citizen a long time ago, possibly before Elite: Dangerous which I bought into around October of 2014.  And I was just wondering if Star Citizen is worth downloading right now?  I played it for a while when it was just the racing and hangers but I obviously got bored very quickly.  Then I played it when I could actually fly around and fight stuff, then again when it was actually multiplayer but its never been that fun for me.  But I love Elite: Dangerous even if it does get a bit boring I just like the community stuff, lore and the gameplay.  Now to me Star Citizen is a lot more "realistic" with their flying and damage stuff which for me is meh because I like arcade stuff like Elite.  Does Star Citizen have enough stuff that it would be worth it to download?  Is there an actual open or semi open world to play in?  Any cool stuff about the game that would help me get back into it would be great thanks!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

If you're one of those people who like getting in early access and still have enough wonderment left for a game by the time it finally releases years down the line... Sure, there's quite a few things they have working (albeit in most counts barely) - Arena Commander, races, soon Star Marine... Haven't actually gone around to playing it myself (technical issues, in that my current pc can't possibly hope to run it), but I hear it's great for getting a feel for the game...

Plus, as far as I know, there's gonna be some persistent stuff earned in the alpha/beta stages carrying over to the final release...

Just now, BananaDealer said:

If you're one of those people who like getting in early access and still have enough wonderment left for a game by the time it finally releases years down the line... Sure, there's quite a few things they have working (albeit in most counts barely) - Arena Commander, races, soon Star Marine... Haven't actually gone around to playing it myself (technical issues, in that my current pc can't possibly hope to run it), but I hear it's great for getting a feel for the game...

Plus, as far as I know, there's gonna be some persistent stuff earned in the alpha/beta stages carrying over to the final release...

Alright, to me it just seems that they've made next to no progress in the year or more I haven't played it...but I guess that's game development? 

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

5 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Alright, to me it just seems that they've made next to no progress in the year or more I haven't played it...but I guess that's game development? 

I wouldn't bother, just wait for 2.6 or 3.0 prob coming out in 10 years (joke)

11 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

thats early access development. i prefer the old consumer screwing AAA way of publishing games. You dont always get a good game and they rip you off with DLC, but at least you get good production in terms of having a director and other professionals with traditional movie-like job titles

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

30 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Not really no progress, though most of that progress as been "under the hood" stuff... Optimisation, balancing... Not necessarily actual "content"...

2 hours ago, Gamessys said:

If you played 2.0 or later there is not much new stuff going on. Some ships, a new station, a couple more missions and the very basic criminal system.

2.6 is supposed to drop on December 8th and brings us Star Marine, 2 more ships, a new mode for Arena Commander, maybe Spectrum and some more stuff I can't recall right now.

The more interesting stuff happens in 3.0 which can be expected end of January. There we were promised the rest of the Stanton system, landing on (some) planets, more sophisticated missions, talking and moving NPCs, trading and I think quantum drive interception was also part of it?

Most of the past year was spend on developing tech and tools and finishing the first chapter of Squadron42 which seems to have some issues with bugs right now.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

On 01/12/2016 at 1:42 PM, Gamessys said:

They've made progress but not in expanding content, a lot of behind the scenes stuff and server fixes, wait till the end of the month 3.0 or 3.1