Pocket PCs Good or Bad

Katsunaka

Im talking about tiny little PCs that plug in via HDMI. 

PCs like Intel ComputeStick, ASUS VivoStick, and so on.

Are they worth it? My parents want an HTPC for watching movies on. 

I was thinking about picking up the ASUS VivoStick PC TS10 from the Microsoft store since its 70 bucks. 

I figure its enough to stream netflix, prime, and those movie files that just magically find their way on your PC.

I told them they could just hook up their laptops to the TV but they called it a hassle and would rather have something dedicated for htpc use.

Is it enough to watch netflix, light browsing and not be slowed down by its lesser hardware. 

I know the Asus stick specifically has lesser hardware than my LG v20 does. 

But for 70 bucks i think it might be perfect usage for a device like that.

Anyone got any experience with a pc on a stick? (cant think of what theyre actually called, so Stick PCs it is)

I think "Stick PC" and "Compute Stick" are the generally accepted terms. I like "Dongle PC" but that's just me.

They are ample for watching Netflix (not at 4k though) and youtubes and stuff like that. The Netflix app specifically should work quite well as opposed to using the website.

When in doubt, re-format.

My experience with trying to watch 1080p video on Cherry Trail Atoms leads me to believe that there's no point trying to watch 1080p video on Cherry Trail Atoms.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

the cheaper devices are rubbish; the atom based ones. The newer, more expensive core-m3 ones have better alternatives like Nvidia Shield.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you want a media streaming device, get something that actually is meant for it, like a Roku.

Its also going to let grand kids have something to watch youtube on, but not screw up an expensive laptop. 

For kids internet usage, and htpc use this was perfect.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

My experience with trying to watch 1080p video on Cherry Trail Atoms leads me to believe that there's no point trying to watch 1080p video on Cherry Trail Atoms.

What was the issue with it? 

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

the cheaper devices are rubbish; the atom based ones. The newer, more expensive core-m3 ones have better alternatives like Nvidia Shield.

Not for me, its going to let my parents watch whatever they watch, and allow kids(7 and under) to use the internet without potentially messing up an expensive laptop.

3 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

What was the issue with it? 

15-20 FPS on YouTube, 20 FPS local content.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

Its also going to let grand kids have something to watch youtube on, but not screw up an expensive laptop. 

For kids internet usage, and htpc use this was perfect.

Most streaming devices have a YouTube app.

You also would have to specify what kind of internet usage. Like what exactly do they do? For the most part the use cases you mentioned can be handled by a streaming device.

18 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Not for me, its going to let my parents watch whatever they watch, and allow kids(7 and under) to use the internet without potentially messing up an expensive laptop.

yea but im saying the performance of the atom based devices is rubbish. youd be better off with an ex-lease pc, raspberry pi, or android

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_