VHS tapes converted to digital

Vercii

Okay lets get a few things out of the way.

1. I wasn't quite sure what to name this topic

2. I wasn't quite sure where to post this.

So my family has a lot of old VHS tapes that hold a lot of memories like weddings/funerals/get-togethers and whatnot and me and my uncle are planning on converting these tapes to be saved on a computer or a DVD for it to be permanently stored because VHS tapes can degrade in quality over time. With Christmas being around the corner I'd like to get these tapes converted ASAP so I could possibly show the family the old memories.

Now, if anyone knows anything about this process please let me know what equipment I will need to do purchase. Please be reasonable with the price, I was looking on Amazon for equipment that claims to do this and they're around $30-$100 USD.

Also, if anyone knows a service that does this and is a trusted one as well, please post the name and I will check them out.

Thank you guys.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, it'd be best to look into a capture card and, if you don't have one, a VHS player, of course lol

It'd all depend on what way would be most convenient for you.

Would this be a good product?

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Touch-Capture-Device/dp/B000VM60I8

Novus Anima

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

1 minute ago, Vercii said:

Should be fine. Just make sure it properly supports whatever OS you're using.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You could just take it to a service. I had about 15 VHS tapes that i got converted at a local service, i dont remember the cost but it was very reasonable. This way you dont have to invest in the equipment to do it yourself.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

You could just take it to a service. I had about 15 VHS tapes that i got converted at a local service, i dont remember the cost but it was very reasonable. This way you dont have to invest in the equipment to do it yourself.

That is true because we'd probably just use this equipment only a certain amount of times and then have it lying around. 

I'll talk to my uncle and we'll decide on what we'll do. Thank you all.

Novus Anima

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

I bought one of those older ion capture devices, plugged in a VHS and ripped it like that and just played around with OBS' settings until it looked nearly the same. Took a bit of time, but it worked out better than sending it out and cheaper too.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

It could be something as simple as a high quality SVHS player with quality outputs ( s-video out > composite > rf out )  and a quality analogue tv tuner / capture card.

I personally have a Leadtek 2000 XP Expert TV PCI tuner card, which is a card with one of the latest analogue tv tuner chips (Conexant CX23881) that were made, with higher end specifications than normal analogue tv tuners. It's still supported even on Windows 7 64 bits.  If your computer still has a PCI slot, and you find one of these on eBay, it's a great choice (but it must be the model with Conexant CX23881, there's other similarly named Leadtek tv tuner cards which use cheaper lower quality chipsets). Winfast DV2000 Expert seems to have the same chip

Virtualdub can be used to capture the video from the SVHS player. I start Virtualdub in capture mode, configure the resolution (usually record in 768x576, the maximum supported), and choose a lossless codec (MagicYUV or Huffyuv) for video and choose no compression for  audio (because it doesn't take much space and i would recompress the video later anyway), which means it would take up to 1-1.5 GB of disk space for 1 minute of video.

When I'm done recording, I can load the big file in Virtualdub again, choose to deinterlace the image if needed (the SVHS player may perform the deinterlace better in its hardware), crop black borders around the image and then choose better video and audio compressors (for example h264 using x264 for VFW video codec) and AAC or AC3 for audio. This will shrink the video down to more reasonable sizes (let's say 1-2 GB for one hour of video would be reasonable for VHS/SVHS tapes)