Will AMD Zen will cause CPU price drop?

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Clearly, you don't understand benchmarks!

Also, the OP asked a question. I can't see how your post answers it, apart from rambling onto:

"Probably" you say. How misinformed can one person really be?

Err no, research institutions especially those in the public sector (which make up most science research) are price conscious. So your 'I reckon' post is clearly, misinformed.

Again, in case you can't follow links, AMD Zen matches Intel Xeon server CPU, at a fraction of the cost:

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-zen-matches-intel-10-core-xeon/

Please, if you are just going to post hate, and can't answer the O/Ps question, don't you think it might be a lot better to troll along?

Leaked benchmarks don't mean shit, especially without context of clock speed and architecture of the chips (BTW, Zen beating an Ivy Bridge-EP Decacore is not impressive, it's beaten by an Intel Haswell-E Hexacore, link below). The leaked prices also don't mean shit.

AMD released a benchmark showing an unnamed Zen 8c/16t engineering sample barely edging out an unnamed consumer Broadwell 8c/16t (The 6900K) in a Blender rendering scenario. That's meaningful only if AMD's 8c/16t Zen chip matches or exceeds the 6900K's clock speed, and if it overclocks well in regards to the enthusiast market. Until AMD releases another benchmark, pricing, or Zen, we don't have any conclusive data.

You're treating the rumor mills as absolutely reliable sources, even though they have no validity (the link you provide uses WCCF as the source, and WCCF gets things wrong constantly).

I answered OP's question. I said that similar processors (Intel) would not see price drops, then I explained why.

Research institutions might be price conscious, but real consumers look at the reputation of a company as well. AMD doesn't have the reputation to be a threat, they have to build it back up. They've been the underdogs for just under a decade, with the hype for FX hurting AMD to the point that they're no longer considered viable for CPUs.

And if you had any idea of what I've been saying about Zen the entire time I've been on LTT Forums, you'd know that I've been preaching that unofficial claims, like that link you posted, cannot be trusted, and believing them is setting AMD up for another perceived failure, further damaging their reputation. That is something they cannot afford.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2680-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5930K/m17083vs2578

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

To think that at one point, Intel panicked due to how well AMD was doing (read, Intel had nothing to compete at the high end, at all-Coppermine overall while good was inferior to AMD's offerings at the time) and decided that trying to sell Pentium III running at 1133MHz that were unstable AF was a really good idea.

I remember those days, they were... err, fun, lets go with that.

-アパゾ

even if they are good i dont think there will be much change from intel, maybe $30 or so 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would like to bring this specific line from the community standards to your attention;

• Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.

While I understand that some exchanges can be frustrating, the above guideline still apply. Having a passive aggressive attitude, being sarcastic and swearing uselessly isn't in any way responsible or mature.

I would appreciate if the bickering would stop or I'll be forced to lock this thread.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Everyone just calm down and wait...... no one knows anything at all at this point, there is no point to speculation and arguing, you guys may as well be arguing about a cpu intel will release in 25 years....... 

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Everyone just calm down and wait...... no one knows anything at all at this point, there is no point to speculation and arguing, you guys may as well be arguing about a cpu intel will release in 25 years....... 

It'll be the 32000 series for sure and we'll be debating if you really need a 32770K for gaming or whether a 32660 will be enough.

Sorry, my sarcasm is in full swing tonight.

-アパゾ

8 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

Do you expect the release of AMD Zen cause price drops for CPUs similar to the price drops for GPUs? (First thread sorry :) )

There will be drops in CPU prices, that's 100% certain. The problem is the plural: we are talking about CPUs, prices, and markets. What we can't predict right now is to what extent:

- used prices will repsond

- new prices will respond

- each of the models AMD and Intel currently have in the market will respond.

To know that, we would need to see where the chips stand in terms of quality. Then we could make predictions about equilibrium prices for the different offerings.

What I can already tell you is that it won't be similar to GPU experiences:

- First of all, Zen will be more expensive than current AMD CPUs. This is in contrast with GPUs lower prices than the previous generation, or same price with higher performance.

- pre-Zen AMD prices will fall, especially in the used market. In the new market, prices have been slowly but steadily falling, especially for FX chips, so I wouldn't expect a drastic jump. But the used market for AMD CPUs seems to have been disconnected from the rest. Apparently, there is some "best of each brand" premium keeping the used to new ratio surprisingly high for FX chips. Once we have something new from AMD, used prices of previous gen will plummet.

All in all, we'll have more expensive, better performing AMD CPUs, and we'll have Intel CPUs suffering increased competition to different extents, depending on where the Zen lineup stacks up. Notice that it depends on performance alone: AMD can do all sort of things with pricing at launch, but eventually demand will bring prices to their (duopolistic) equilibrium, just like it happened with FX-9370 and FX-9590. And that's the price that will influence Intel's pricing.

If you want to go beyond that, and given we don't have more information yet, you would need to use rumors, leaks, etc. We can't make reliable predictions based on those. But taking them at face value (and with a grain of salt, OK, bring the salt memes already :P) I would expect the i5s and i3s to take the biggest hit, and the mainstream i7s to a lesser extent. I could even see i5s discontinued altogether, although most likely they would be kept as some niche thing anyway. There's a lot of attention to the 8-xore X99 vs 8-core Zen comparison these days, but (again, relying on rumors etc) that's where I expect less of an effect: it seems intel will still have the top CPU, meaning they can still out-compete AMD in the highest segment, where max performance is everything. But every market segment where intel is not giving us all it has will be sensitive to a reasonably-performing Zen.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

There will be drops in CPU prices, that's 100% certain. The problem is the plural: we are talking about CPUs, prices, and markets. What we can't predict right now is to what extent:

- used prices will repsond

- new prices will respond

- each of the models AMD and Intel currently have in the market will respond.

To know that, we would need to see where the chips stand in terms of quality. Then we could make predictions about equilibrium prices for the different offerings.

What I can already tell you is that it won't be similar to GPU experiences:

- First of all, Zen will be more expensive than current AMD CPUs. This is in contrast with GPUs lower prices than the previous generation, or same price with higher performance.

- pre-Zen AMD prices will fall, especially in the used market. In the new market, prices have been slowly but steadily falling, especially for FX chips, so I wouldn't expect a drastic jump. But the used market for AMD CPUs seems to have been disconnected from the rest. Apparently, there is some "best of each brand" premium keeping the used to new ratio surprisingly high for FX chips. Once we have something new from AMD, used prices of previous gen will plummet.

All in all, we'll have more expensive, better performing AMD CPUs, and we'll have Intel CPUs suffering increased competition to different extents, depending on where the Zen lineup stacks up. Notice that it depends on performance alone: AMD can do all sort of things with pricing at launch, but eventually demand will bring prices to their (duopolistic) equilibrium, just like it happened with FX-9370 and FX-9590. And that's the price that will influence Intel's pricing.

If you want to go beyond that, and given we don't have more information yet, you would need to use rumors, leaks, etc. We can't make reliable predictions based on those. But taking them at face value (and with a grain of salt, OK, bring the salt memes already :P) I would expect the i5s and i3s to take the biggest hit, and the mainstream i7s to a lesser extent. I could even see i5s discontinued altogether, although most likely they would be kept as some niche thing anyway. There's a lot of attention to the 8-xore X99 vs 8-core Zen comparison these days, but (again, relying on rumors etc) that's where I expect less of an effect: it seems intel will still have the top CPU, meaning they can still out-compete AMD in the highest segment, where max performance is everything. But every market segment where intel is not giving us all it has will be sensitive to a reasonably-performing Zen.

give this man a cookie