Testing for continuity in headphones

Acorn Eyes

I'm unsure how to test for continuity on my earbuds.

I've got a green wire, a red wire, a white wire (copper when I remove the sleeve) with copper wire lining it. 

The green, red, and copper lining were next to each other, not insulated. The white wire has a single thick copper wire inside it's white sleeve with copper threads wrapped around the white wire.

I've tested the wires for continuity by placing + on red and - green. With various combos nothing worked.

Meanwhile I tested the male - male audio jack connector I'm using to replace the broken one. I cut off one end already. 

There's a white, red, and black wire. The white is ground, the black is power, and I assume red is data. 

I tested for it by placing the + lead on one of the wires and the - lead on the audio jack. If there was continuity, I assumed that the respective lead indicated that the wire it's touching is the lead (power or ground).

I'm brand new to multimetering and just want to repair my earbuds.

Don't talk about stale memes.

There's no power, if they're regular headphones with the classic stereo jack

It's left channel, right channel, ground (shared by both channels)

Each speaker has an impedance measured in ohms so if you put the multimeter on resistance and probes between left channel and ground, or right channel and ground, you should get some resistance (for headphones, typical to have 24-64 ohms)

The wires may look like raw copper but they still may be insulated with a thin enamel coating, which may prevent your probe tips from making contact with the actual wires. This enamel can usually be removed with solder (make a small ball of solder on the tip of your soldering iron and put the enameled wire in the blob of solder, the solder will "eat" the enamel and leave the copper wire covered in a thin layer of solder (tinned).

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

There's no power, if they're regular headphones with the classic stereo jack

It's left channel, right channel, ground (shared by both channels)

Each speaker has an impedance measured in ohms so if you put the multimeter on resistance and probes between left channel and ground, or right channel and ground, you should get some resistance (for headphones, typical to have 24-64 ohms)

The wires may look like raw copper but they still may be insulated with a thin enamel coating, which may prevent your probe tips from making contact with the actual wires. This enamel can usually be removed with solder (make a small ball of solder on the tip of your soldering iron and put the enameled wire in the blob of solder, the solder will "eat" the enamel and leave the copper wire covered in a thin layer of solder (tinned).

This.

One is right channel, one is left, (aka two different + ) and the last one is ground(aka - in this case)

If you use the beep thingy, even if the probes actually is hitting the copper, it wont beep, because it is impedance.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle Gaming said:

This.

One is right channel, one is left, (aka two different + ) and the last one is ground(aka - in this case)

If you use the beep thingy, even if the probes actually is hitting the copper, it wont beep, because it is impedance.

Yes it will, because the multimeter will measure the purely resistive component of impedance, which should in the range of continuity (less than 200 ohms for most multi's). Multimeters can't really measure impedance, since they have no way of measuring the inductive and capacitive ESR for different frequencies.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

My Uni-T UT61E multimeter stops beeping somewhere around 30 ohm, so don't assume all multimeters beep at less than 200 ohm. 

Also worth mentioning : when measuring small resistances, it's often worth cancelling out the resistance of the leads first.  Use a paper towel or something slightly abrasive to rub the probe tips (to clean them) then put the multimeter on resistance, touch both leads and when the value stabilizes press the REL button to substract the resistance of the probes.

Some cheap leads can have up to 1 ohm resistance in the leads.