Best Graphics Card Setup For High End Games 60 FPS 4K

Yosenky
Go to solution Solved by AbsoluteZero951,

I have 2 Gigabyte Gaming G1 980ti's in sli and can pull 60 fps at 4k with max settings in most games (witcher3,BF1,etc), with having AA turned off or down in some cases (especially SSAA, Metro LL). Two 1080s should be able to pull 4k60 no problem in todays titles, assuming that the game plays nice with sli. Don't really know how well they hold up in the upcoming years though as DX12 & Vulkan have yet to be 100% properly implemented, and the next gen of HBM2 cards on the horizon will probably make 4k60 fps gaming much easier.

I was looking around and I want to really build a monster computer, one that can run the highest end games at 60+ fps 4k resolution. I've been looking and I think that running SLI with GTX 1080's overclocked would be the best. Is this the best? Or is there something better I could be spending my money on. I have a budget of about $1500 on graphics cards and really don't want to spend more on the graphics cards alone. Any suggestions or help?

What CPU do you have?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

A single 1080 should be able to play most games at 2160@30.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

A single 1080 should be able to play most games at 2160@30.

Does that mean that running two in SLI would be a waste of money?

Just now, Yosenky said:

Does that mean that running two in SLI would be a waste of money?

I wouldn't say that. I would see how one does in the games you'd like to play by looking at benchmarks. If you're not going to get the performance you're looking for, don't do it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I wouldn't say that. I would see how one does in the games you'd like to play by looking at benchmarks. If you're not going to get the performance you're looking for, don't do it.

Will do, thx :)

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Is Rise of the Tomb Raider considered the "heaviest" game thus far in terms of graphics?

I have 2 Gigabyte Gaming G1 980ti's in sli and can pull 60 fps at 4k with max settings in most games (witcher3,BF1,etc), with having AA turned off or down in some cases (especially SSAA, Metro LL). Two 1080s should be able to pull 4k60 no problem in todays titles, assuming that the game plays nice with sli. Don't really know how well they hold up in the upcoming years though as DX12 & Vulkan have yet to be 100% properly implemented, and the next gen of HBM2 cards on the horizon will probably make 4k60 fps gaming much easier.

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

Just now, AbsoluteZero951 said:

Thanks <3<3

3 minutes ago, Yosenky said:

Is Rise of the Tomb Raider considered the "heaviest" game thus far in terms of graphics?

Its pretty intense to run as i can get 4k60 fps maxed setting in the Witcher 3 easy, but just ran the ROTR benchmark and only got 36 fps as my avg, Its the only game I cant play at max settings 4k60 as the 980tis 6GB of Vram gets maxed and causes issues, primarily crashes as well as severe frame dips. The 1080 has 8GB of Vram so It might solve the problem or ROTR might still want all the Vram at max settings at 4k.

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

Just now, AbsoluteZero951 said:

Its pretty intense to run as i can get 4k60 fps maxed setting in the Witcher 3 easy, but just ran the ROTR benchmark and only got 36 fps as my avg, Its the only game I cant play at max settings 4k60 as the 980tis 6GB of Vram gets maxed and causes issues, primarily crashes as well as severe frame dips. The 1080 has 8GB of Vram so It might solve the problem or ROTR might still want all the Vram at max settings at 4k.

Alrighty, based on what I've looked at in addition to your help I think Imma get SLI with em

if you have $1500 to spend on GPUs get a titan XP and watercool it.

many less hassles than SLI, will work on every game you use it with  and cheaper than 2x1080s

other option is to wait until january and I think you will then have the option of the 1080TI to choose from as well

2 hours ago, GTBTK said:

if you have $1500 to spend on GPUs get a titan XP and watercool it.

many less hassles than SLI, will work on every game you use it with  and cheaper than 2x1080s

other option is to wait until january and I think you will then have the option of the 1080TI to choose from as well

I agree about 95% on that in this situation. with that money, do yourself the favor and get a single titan and watercool it. SLI has scaling issues or is even unsupported (like rise of the tomb raider) so you end up with the 2nd gpu as a really pretty paperweight, plus there are still microstuttering issues with multiple gpu configs. a fat OC on a watercooled titan xp will net you the best solution for the budget in 4k, and if its not quite what youre wanting, then you might have to go for a 2 way sli titan xp, but at least youd have that option. If you went for 2 1080's and it doesn't perform how you'd like, you cant slap in another gpu to help. I don't know if the 1080ti will support more than 2 way sli but even if it does, it isn't a good investment with the law of diminishing returns and whatnot.

TL;DR     get a titan xp. watercool it. overclock the hell out of it.

Can confirm 2 980tis run everything at 60 fps 4K 

so anything above that really

2 980tis beat the new Titan in 4K 

so u won't be maxing games at 4K with it even overclocked 

u would need 2

2 1080s or tis would be good when there out 

also iv had sli for 4 years now and there are litterly no issues with it anymore 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933