Workstation Build Evaluation

My system: CPU: Intel i5 6500; Mobo: H110M-k; GPU: Nvidia GT 730; Memory: 16 GB; HDD: 2x 1TB HDD;

Maybe not that PSU. Rest is fine

15 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Maybe not that PSU. Rest is fine

PC partpicker says it's 263Watts, so I still need more than 300W?

My system: CPU: Intel i5 6500; Mobo: H110M-k; GPU: Nvidia GT 730; Memory: 16 GB; HDD: 2x 1TB HDD;

Just now, vibeit said:

PC partpicker says it's 263Watts, so I still need more than 300W?

That PSU might not be good in terms of quality

if you can get a 6700 it will be really good for long run especially for work also get a higher watt psu as caps degrade over time and other  inefficiency 

15 hours ago, LeprekonKilla said:

Not sure if you need a CPU cooler, especially if you're not planning to OC

Yes but I'd be multitasking heavily like doing some 3D rendering in the background while developing in the foreground. My room is also quite hot during the day, If I put this PC next to an open window I may get away without an aftermarket cooler.

1 minute ago, vibeit said:

Yes but I'd be multitasking heavily like doing some 3D rendering in the background while developing in the foreground. My room is also quite hot during the day, If I put this PC next to an open window I may get away without an aftermarket cooler.

Ah, if your room if fairly hot then I can see a reason for using one then

About spit out my drink when I saw the 32 gigs of ram lol. But if you know for sure your use case needs that much go for it.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

15 hours ago, Moress said:

About spit out my drink when I saw the 32 gigs of ram lol. But if you know for sure your use case needs that much go for it.

I guess it's payback for my own mistake from the first PC I built in 2005. The mobo was capable of 3 GB RAM and I only installed 256 MB because I thought it was enough and I couldn't find the cash to bring it to 3GB since then because I was still in college. Now I have the opportunity to max the RAM out.

5 minutes ago, vibeit said:

I guess it's payback for my own mistake from the first I built a PC in 2005. The mobo was capable of 3 GB RAM and I only installed 256 MB because I thought it was enough and I couldn't find the cash to bring it to 3GB since then because I was still in college. Now I have the opportunity to max the RAM out.

Do you know for a fact that you will need all 32 gigs of ram for your use? Because if you reduce down to 2x8 you can fit in a 6700. An I7 is much better than I5s in most workstation builds. BUT, I don't know a whole lot about specific workloads on workstations. Just putting that out there.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

44 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Not sure about that, someone with more knowledge should able to answer it for me @Energycore @Comic_Sans_MS @Starelementpoke @STRMfrmXMN

How about EVGA 500b or 430w?

Seasonic is a top notch psu manufactuer. They make units for EVGA, Corsair, and a number of other companies as well as offer retail units under their own name.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2697/30 discusses the SS-xxxET models. Which, according to the article are built on the same platform as the excellent S12II retail models.

The EVGA 500B is not a bad unit, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=351. But I would choose the Seasonic.

@vibeit,

If this is a development machine a larger ssd would be in order. A significant activity of development is storage i/o. Speeding that up makes for a much more productive system.

Get a 2x16GB memory kit. That will leave two memory slots free for an upgrade and will put marginally less strain on the memory controller. Something like G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory will also save a few $. But unless you are sure that 32GB is needed, why not start with 16GB (2x8GB). You can then upgrade to 32GB (2x8GB) or 48GB (2x16GB) should it prove necessary.

I would get a less expensive case. Something like Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case.

I would also get a less expensive cpu cooler. Something like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

you have a "k" cpu, if you want to OC you'll need to have a z170 MOBO as well. go with a "k" cpu and a z170 MOBO, or go with a non "k" and a h170, b150 MOBO. best option is the first so you can OC, but it will be more expensive.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

59 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

you have a "k" cpu, if you want to OC you'll need to have a z170 MOBO as well. go with a "k" cpu and a z170 MOBO, or go with a non "k" and a h170, b150 MOBO. best option is the first so you can OC, but it will be more expensive.

The price differential between then locked and unlocked i7-6700 is literally a couple of $. Well worth the added speed. A Z170 motherboard OTH, is almost double the B150 motherboard cost.

1 hour ago, vibeit said:

Other than the memory this is pretty good. You are sacrificing performance by choosing a 1x16GB memory kit over a 2x8GB kit. 

Not sure why you picked the Adata ssd. The price seems on the high side for its size & performance.

15 hours ago, brob said:

The price differential between then locked and unlocked i7-6700 is literally a couple of $. Well worth the added speed. A Z170 motherboard OTH, is almost double the B150 motherboard cost.

Other than the memory this is pretty good. You are sacrificing performance by choosing a 1x16GB memory kit over a 2x8GB kit. 

Not sure why you picked the Adata ssd. The price seems on the high side for its size & performance.

I'll try to make the changes with the Processor and Mobo. For the RAM, I'm going to add three more 16GB in the future to get 64 GB so to buy 2 8GB now will go to waste, provided the performance drop isn't that big with the single 16GB stick. As for the ADATA SSD, other options are too expensive or capacity is too low. Anyway, since it's SSD I suppose it's still better than a 1 TB magnetic drive. To be honest, this will be my first time using an SSD so I really can't tell how good this is going to be compared to the other choices. Right now I'm still thinking if I should ditch the 1 TB WD blue caviar and go full Samsung 1 TB SD as my entire storage, despite the more expensive price tag. But then the 1 TB is supposed to be for data backup so when I reformat the PC I'll only wipe out the 240 GB SSD.

Another option is 120 GB SSD, 2 TB Magnetic drives in RAID. I don't think I'll be installing that many software,anyway. At the least there's hardware drivers, Netbeans, Blender, photoshop, a slicing software for 3D printing, a couple of web browsers, and Fallout 4. I'm fine with installing one video game at a time and I really don't play games that much.

I'll try to make the changes with the Processor and Mobo. For the RAM, I'm going to add three more 16GB in the future to get 64 GB so to buy 2 8GB now will go to waste, provided the performance drop isn't that big with the single 16GB stick. As for the ADATA SSD, other options are too expensive or capacity is too low. Anyway, since it's SSD I suppose it's still better than a 1 TB magnetic drive. To be honest, this will be my first time using an SSD so I really can't tell how good this is going to be compared to the other choices. Right now I'm still thinking if I should ditch the 1 TB WD blue caviar and go full Samsung 1 TB SD as my entire storage, despite the more expensive price tag. But then the 1 TB is supposed to be for data backup so when I reformat the PC I'll only wipe out the 240 GB SSD.

Another option is 120 GB SSD, 2 TB Magnetic drives in RAID. I don't think I'll be installing that many software,anyway. At the least there's hardware drivers, Netbeans, Blender, photoshop, a slicing software for 3D printing, a couple of web browsers, and Fallout 4. I'm fine with installing one video game at a time and I really don't play games that much.

Where are you shopping for the ssd?

15 hours ago, brob said:

Where are you shopping for the ssd?

Amazon.

15 hours ago, brob said:

Can you shop anywhere else? Perhaps Newegg.com or NCIX.com?

I'll try. On the day I purchase I'll try to hit up local stores in my area first so I can inspect the parts properly. Shopping online will be last resort.

I'll try. On the day I purchase I'll try to hit up local stores in my area first so I can inspect the parts properly. Shopping online will be last resort.

Good thinking.