4930k dying? :/

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,
1 minute ago, mechanicalfluff said:

What would point you to that?

If i put all of the power delivery options at "extreme", it still bsod's. Is that a good indicator?

I've never had an overclock fail like this before.

Every other build i've done is still stable to this day :/

i would guess one or more fases has gone bad and arent provinding you enough amps to properly use the PC unless you crank the voltage, CPUs dont tend to fail in this way AFAIK and they just produce a critical boot error when booting if they die

Seems like my 4930k is dying; but could it be the motherboard?

My original 4.7ghz overclock failed at 1.37v and it started to bsod. I have a large custom loop, temps are never above 62c no matter what i do, even with the 1080 in the loop.

Now, when I revert to "optimized defaults" it still gives me a bsod. I need to use 1.4v to make it stable at stock 3.5ghz - but that voltage is also stable at 4.2ghz. 

(^1.39v at stock clock = bsod. 1.4 is stable at stock 3.5 and 4.2 -- 4.3 fails)

Ran memtest on the ram on this board as well as my z77 mpower board, all is good.

Could totally use some experienced folks' advice :)

Specs:

x79 deluxe

pny xlr8 1866

gtx1080 seahawk ek

Hardware doesn't degrade, it won't use more voltages over time, if a overclock is stable day 1, it will stay stable until it dies. Have you tried updating the BIOS to the newest version?

i would say motherboard VRMs have gone bad

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, FTL said:

Hardware doesn't degrade, it won't use more voltages over time, if a overclock is stable day 1, it will stay stable until it dies. Have you tried updating the BIOS to the newest version?

yeah, it's currently on the latest. I've even tried older (previously stable) versions in months past. 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would say motherboard VRMs have gone bad

If i put all of the power delivery options at "extreme", it still bsod's. Is that a good indicator?

1 minute ago, mechanicalfluff said:

i would guess one or more fases has gone bad and arent provinding you enough amps to properly use the PC unless you crank the voltage, CPUs dont tend to fail in this way AFAIK and they just produce a critical boot error when booting if they die

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i see!

So basically i'm compensating for the lack of power by applying voltage. By applying the voltage i'm giving it just enough to remain stable; picking up the "slack" from a bad phase

Just now, mechanicalfluff said:

i see!

So basically i'm compensating for the lack of power by applying voltage. By applying the voltage i'm giving it just enough to remain stable; picking up the "slack" from a bad phase

yah thats what im guessing so a new motherboard is what you need probably

Builds:

Spoiler

yah thats what im guessing so a new motherboard is what you need probably

Good catch :) thanks

Heck, i'll even save it and grab a cheapo xeon on ebay and use it as a nas/transcoding box :)

Overclocking does degrade the processor's reliability over time faster than if it ran at normal. However "normal" means whatever the manufacturer tested with. If you overvolted the part, then the degradation is faster. Think about it this way, if you ran a water pipe rated for 50 PSI and you inject a 60 PSI stream into it, you think it'll last as long as if you injected it with a 50 PSI stream?

So what I'm saying is, if you get a known working motherboard, don't be surprised that you can't overclock your processor to what you had it at before.

1 hour ago, mechanicalfluff said:

now... to find an x79 motherboard... 

one that doesn't cost 1000 bucks :P 

Used mobos of sockets that are out of favor cost so much. :P  Mobos are like the most expensive used part to get since they usually die the most often and as a result the working ones fetch a decent price.