How to access data on android with broken screen?

DarkEnergy

Friend's phone's screen cracked and stopped working but the phone itself still works and the screen still recognizes touch. The problem isn't unlocking the phone, it's trying to access data on a computer. Usually when you plug an android into a computer you have an option to connect using MTP or PTP. Well I can't see the screen so I can't select an option. Is there any other way to enable it?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

3 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Friend's phone's screen cracked and stopped working but the phone itself still works and the screen still recognizes touch. The problem isn't unlocking the phone, it's trying to access data on a computer. Usually when you plug an android into a computer you have an option to connect using MTP or PTP. Well I can't see the screen so I can't select an option. Is there any other way to enable it?

If the screen touch still works but you see no visuals from it, you can look up online and try to find the general area as to where the button would be and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, I would either fix the screen yourselves or take it into a shop and have them fix it because broken screens aren't a huge thing these days and they would probably do it for around $50 and it would take a couple hours (depending on their workload) 

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

This might be helpful I only gave it a skim read but if your friend's phone supports something like this then I reckon it'd be worth a shot since a cable would be cheaper than a screen replacement.

Alternatively if most of the phone's data is on an inserted micro-SD card then you can just remove that and it's GG (you've probably already checked that but hey I figured I'd mention it just in case)

1 hour ago, AWSAM3 said:

This might be helpful I only gave it a skim read but if your friend's phone supports something like this then I reckon it'd be worth a shot since a cable would be cheaper than a screen replacement.

Alternatively if most of the phone's data is on an inserted micro-SD card then you can just remove that and it's GG (you've probably already checked that but hey I figured I'd mention it just in case)

Trying to retrieve data from an installed app, it most likely wasn't on the sd card. Just realized the touch part of the screen might not actually be working after all, tried some Samsung software to access data on the phone but it kept saying the phone was still locked. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB