Can you run PCIE and SATA SSD'S together?

Max_Tech

So I'm in the process of getting a PC parts together and I just want to know if your are able to run a SATA SSD as a boot drive and a PCIE SSD for everything else? 

1 minute ago, Max_Tech said:

So I'm in the process of getting a PC parts together and I just want to know if your are able to run a SATA SSD as a boot drive and a PCIE SSD for everything else? 

in most cases yes

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

9 minutes ago, Max_Tech said:

Yes. But why wouldn't you want the PCIE SSD as the boot drive? 

3 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

Yes. But why wouldn't you want the PCIE SSD as the boot drive? 

Exactly. PCIE SSDs are much faster than their SATA counterparts. I'd recommend getting the PCIe SSD for boot drive and a large SATA SSD for bulk storage and other programs, if you can afford it, otherwise go for a HDD.

I'd also recommend some sort of a redundant setup for your drives, such as RAID1, so you'd be protected against data loss in case of a hardware failure

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

24 minutes ago, Max_Tech said:

yeah you can

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

8 hours ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Exactly. PCIE SSDs are much faster than their SATA counterparts. I'd recommend getting the PCIe SSD for boot drive and a large SATA SSD for bulk storage and other programs, if you can afford it, otherwise go for a HDD.

I'd also recommend some sort of a redundant setup for your drives, such as RAID1, so you'd be protected against data loss in case of a hardware failure

Ok thanks all so if I use say a 250  gigabyte PCIE SSD for boot like you said and a 500 gigabyte SATA for everything else how would I do this exactly do this and this redundant drive what does this mean?

If something is redundant that means there is something to fall back to in case something goes wrong.

In the case of a RAID setup, this means having 2 of the same drives, cloning the data between each. This way, if one drive fails or gets corrupt somehow, the other one will still retain the vital data to keep your system running. @Max_Tech

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

If something is redundant that means there is something to fall back to in case something goes wrong.

In the case of a RAID setup, this means having 2 of the same drives, cloning the data between each. This way, if one drive fails or gets corrupt somehow, the other one will still retain the vital data to keep your system running. @Max_Tech

Ok so maybe this seems more expensive then I thought so should I use a PCIE SSD for boot and just get a 2tb hard drive now and somewhere along the line get a SATA SSD 

Honestly you don't need a redundant drive or a RAID setup. I would buy a PCIe SSD for your boot drive, and get a 500gb or so SATA SSD for games.

If you still have extra money afterwards, buy a 1-4tb mechanical HDD for mass media storage. Or you can invest extra cash into a 1-2TB external hard drive where you can keep backups of your computer. (this also acts as a redundant safety feature) Just keep in mind to do backups fairly often. (Once or twice a month is fine) @Max_Tech

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Honestly you don't need a redundant drive or a RAID setup. I would buy a PCIe SSD for your boot drive, and get a 500gb or so SATA SSD for games.

If you still have extra money afterwards, buy a 1-4tb mechanical HDD for mass media storage. Or you can invest extra cash into a 1-2TB external hard drive where you can keep backups of your computer. (this also acts as a redundant safety feature) Just keep in mind to do backups fairly often. (Once or twice a month is fine) @Max_Tech

Alright thanks a lot so I think I will do this . So how big should the PCIE SSD be? And a Seagate Barracuda 2tb SSD a good choice.

If you want just the OS on the PCIe drive, 120gb is more than enough. A 2tb seagate SSD? You might be talking about a HDD, I prefer Western Digital drives but it all comes down to your personal preference. I personally have a 2tb WD Black drive for mass storage and it has been working well for the past year. @Max_Tech

Just now, NinJake said:

If you want just the OS on the PCIe drive, 120gb is more than enough. A 2tb seagate SSD? You might be talking about a HDD, I prefer Western Digital drives but it all comes down to your personal preference. I personally have a 2tb WD Black drive for mass storage and it has been working well for the past year. @Max_Tech

Yeah I meant HDD derp! Can I use this as a redundant drive or only external ones? 

You can save backups to your HDD, however I would recommend an external drive.

If you have a virus and your backups are on the same drive as the virus then your system may still be at risk. If you save your backups to an external drive and you accidentally get a virus, then you can restore your backup from the external drive. (Untouched by the virus on your pc)

This is all worst case scenario, if you are careful about your web browsing and downloads, you'll be fine! However if you are a gamer then I'd definitely see if you could get a separate SATA SSD for storing your commonly played games for faster load times. @Max_Tech

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You can save backups to your HDD, however I would recommend an external drive.

If you have a virus and your backups are on the same drive as the virus then your system may still be at risk. If you save your backups to an external drive and you accidentally get a virus, then you can restore your backup from the external drive. (Untouched by the virus on your pc)

This is all worst case scenario, if you are careful about your web browsing and downloads, you'll be fine! However if you are a gamer then I'd definitely see if you could get a separate SATA SSD for storing your commonly played games for faster load times. @Max_Tech

Right so I can sort of see what I'll do I use the PCIE SSD for boot and a SATA for commonly played games and a Hard drive for all the other crap I do and then use a external drive for backups! 

You seem to know your way around PC's so can I run you through my proposed setup? Just to see if there are any issues. :) 

You can run it by me. Or you can make a new post in the "PC builds and planning" thread to get more opinions and responses. These are just the best-practices that have proven to be successful for me, other people may have different opinions. It's always best to get multiple opinions than one. (This goes for everything, not just building a PC) @Max_Tech

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You can run it by me. Or you can make a new post in the "PC builds and planning" thread to get more opinions and responses. These are just the best-practices that have proven to be successful for me, other people may have different opinions. It's always best to get multiple opinions than one. (This goes for everything, not just building a PC) @Max_Tech

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Well your on now so I just run it by you:

CPU- Intel core I5 6600k 

RAM- Corsair vengeance Led Blue 16gb 

Motherboard- MSI Z170A plus 

CPU Cooler- Coolermatser Hyper 212 Evo

PSU- Corsair 650m 

Graphic Card- GTX 1070 G1 gaming 

HDD- Seagate Baracuda 2tb 

SSD- Intel 600P series 128gb PCIE drive, Samsung EVO 500gb SATA SSD 

Case- Coolermaster Master box 5

Fans- 1x- 120mm Corsair AF 120 blue led 2x- 140mm Corsair AF 140 blue led

That looks like a great build! Nice black and blue color scheme you have going on as well. The only thing I would say is maybe try to get a gold+ certified PSU if possible. That's just for efficiencies sake. However, all the parts you have there will work with each other. Maybe look into buying some arctic silver thermal paste instead of using the thermal paste that comes with your CPU. (5-10 bucks more)
 @Max_Tech

Just now, NinJake said:

That looks like a great build! Nice black and blue color scheme you have going on as well. The only thing I would say is maybe try to get a gold+ certified PSU if possible. That's just for efficiencies sake. However, all the parts you have there will work with each other. Maybe look into buying some arctic silver thermal paste instead of using the thermal paste that comes with your CPU. (5-10 bucks more)
 @Max_Tech

Oh right yeah that PSU is 80+ gold and I already have a thermal paste 

9 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Oh I have had experience with EVGA PSU my last PC EVGA PSU exploded and killed my 960 so yeah I'll stick with corsair 

If by PCIe SSD you mean plugging an SSD in a PCIe slot, then you can run them together all hunky dory. The caveat is if you plug it into an x16 slot, it may cut the graphics PCIe lanes to x8, not that this will have any real impact on the graphics card's performance.

If you mean an NVMe SSD, then in a lot of cases, it will disable usually two SATA ports. The motherboard manual will mention which ones.