Broadcasting Streaming Video Over LAN?

TheSaint

A friend of mine is having a wedding this coming June. The church they have picked is fairly small, but has a large hall in the basement. They already have a projector/screen combo in the basement, which they were hoping could act as an overflow room for the guests that can't squeeze into the church, and still witness the ceremony. There's no easy or safe way to run long wires such as HDMI. My goal is to try and broadcast over the wireless LAN and receive also over the LAN, hopefully getting enough bandwidth so the stream doesn't buffer or hiccup. 

Here's what I have available at my disposal in the way of hardware:

Canon T5i

Logitech 920 Pro Webcam

Black Magic Design H.264 Pro Recorder

Chromecast

Desktop computer with 6700k, 32gb RAM, SSD's

Laptop computer, A4 AMD, 16 GB RAM, SSD

ASUS AC1900 Dual Band Router

Currently the church has 5 meg down and 1 meg up DSL. (Business class, only $160 a month!) :o

Given the church's slow internet speeds, I think that rules out any reliable live stream that is beamed over the internet, then back down again into the church. I'm also looking into getting the church a cable internet option which would be 60 meg down and 4 meg up. Still, I'd prefer to use a local network if at all possible to take extra steps out of the equation. Given the equipment I already have above, how could I go about doing so? What software would I use for the stream? I've heard good things about OBS, but the streaming options were all for internet broadcast, and not for LAN, unless I missed something? Do I have enough equipment to pull this off? If not, what equipment would you recommend I purchase? Likewise, what software should be used for this type of application. This is a first for me, so thanks for any pointers!

Your local network should be able to handle this using OBS. And VLC should be able to accept that stream and present it, with a little bit of delay. Heres an answer on stack overflow which covers some suggestions to look into: http://stackoverflow.com/a/29263675

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

He is waht id do.

Set up your desktop as the capture system, then make it a stream using obs and nginx, then using the wifi router, connect your laptop, and view the stream using something like vlc and plug it into the tv.

5 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Your local network should be able to handle this using OBS. And VLC should be able to accept that stream and present it, with a little bit of delay. Heres an answer on stack overflow which covers some suggestions to look into: http://stackoverflow.com/a/29263675

I've used VLC before, but just for playback for local files on a hardrive. I'll have to look into that more.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

He is waht id do.

Set up your desktop as the capture system, then make it a stream using obs and nginx, then using the wifi router, connect your laptop, and view the stream using something like vlc and plug it into the tv.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Or the lazy way. Remote desktop

Thanks for the pointers. I was hoping to setup an actual stream and avoid using Remote Desktop/TeamViewer, etc., as I'd imagine that the buffering video/sound issues might play a larger role that if it was a direct stream you could pull in. I'm not sure what kind of wireless signal I'm going to get in the building, but I'm trying to assume the worst and do a few dry runs in the months leading up to the wedding. 

Time for more research and testing it seems like! Any other suggestions folks, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Another quick google brought this up: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmfp-server-using-monaserver.153/ which actually seems to be written by the person on SO.

Should get you exactly the results you're looking for.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

snip

How many cameras are you going to be using and how many displays are going to be used for the audience to watch? 

For this kind of thing I wouldn't use "live streaming" as the solution.  I'd either rent something like a couple of Teradek or Paralinx wireless video transmitters and receivers, or I'd run long SDI cables.  SDI cables can usually be ran longer than HDMI.  If the cameras and projection TV/Screens didn't have SDI inputs/outputs, I'd get a few SDI to HDMI converters.  This way, no one has to deal with internet speeds or bandwidths being insufficient.  You wouldn't even need to buy these equipment, you can rent them for the day of the wedding ceremony.

A pair of these can transmit up to 300ft, higher models can transmit longer.  Have the transmitter attached to the camera, have the receiver somewhere where it can pick up the signal, and run a cable from the receiver to the TV/Projector in the basement.

Ace_SDI.jpg

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins