i7 6700 or i5 6600k for GTX 1070

FRN
On 24/11/2016 at 2:00 AM, HKZeroFive said:

Now, let's delve into the question of bottlenecking. At 1080p 144Hz, the i5 6600K will bottleneck a GTX 1070 and above in more than a few games... not so much at 1440p and 4K due to the reason I've explained in my previous post. But then again, the i7 still offers a smoother gaming experience and so for high refresh gaming, you want a i7 to keep those minimum framerates high.

Interesting, both your comment and the youtube video (plus the comments) really surprise me. I've heard so many youtubers (including Linus) saying that getting an i7 6700K is really unnecessary. And, it seems like results differ (video and video). 

Could you please help me understand a little bit better your point? Since it does contradict what I've heard already?

What would you do if you were in my position? I'm struggling already with my budget and it seems like you would get a 1440p monitor and the i7 which will require an increase of 400€ of my budget. 

Edited by jmv_vicente
Included a second video

I would take an i7+ cheap motherboard over an i5 6600k + z170 board + cooler anyday. Games are really starting to utilise better the extra threads.

In the past, the i5 with an OC would be better choice, because games would often not use more than 4 cores, so frequency was more important than the extra threads.

Not so much anymore. Battlefield 1 multiplayer  is a great example of that. An i5 6600k with overclock will bottleneck a gtx1070 or better. A i7 will not. With an i5 you will get microstutter on that game, and overall less consistent frame rates.  Watch dogs 2 see´s some good performance gains from an i5 to an i7, too

24 minutes ago, mata-pombos said:

I would take an i7+ cheap motherboard over an i5 6600k + z170 board + cooler anyday

What would it be the combo for an i7 + motherboard + cooling? Taking into account that I'm waiting a couple of weeks to get the Kaby Lake version. 

Kaby lake offers very little performance extra (like 5%). And it will probably be overpriced when it´s launched, due to short stock.

I would just look out for deals on the i7 6700 and a b150 board, or h170 if you naid RAID support

13 minutes ago, mata-pombos said:

Kaby lake offers very little performance extra (like 5%). And it will probably be overpriced when it´s launched, due to short stock.

I would just look out for deals on the i7 6700 and a b150 board, or h170 if you naid RAID support

Really interesting idea. Much better performance than the 7600K then?

What will I be losing in terms of Z170 vs H150/170? And... I've seen there're loads of H170, how can I know which one should i pick?

MSI H170M PRO-VDH, MSI H170M-A PRO, Asus H170M-PLUS? why are they cheaper than the z170?

On 22/11/2016 at 9:35 PM, FRN said:

Hi,

I wanna know if the 6600k is a better pair than 6700 for the GTX 1070? I've seen posts that says 6600k will bottleneck the GTX 1070?

6700k ovviously...

Better single core performance than the i5.. and has 4 more threads.. more cache... more of everything :P higher clock speed...

And some games are very cpu demanding like BF1 where an i5 struggle a bit, so yeah.. the 6700k worth it a lot..

1 hour ago, jmv_vicente said:

What would it be the combo for an i7 + motherboard + cooling? Taking into account that I'm waiting a couple of weeks to get the Kaby Lake version. 

worth waiting for kaby lake

5 hours ago, jmv_vicente said:

Interesting, both your comment and the youtube video (plus the comments) really surprise me. I've heard so many youtubers (including Linus) saying that getting an i7 6700K is really unnecessary. And, it seems like results differ (video and video). 

Could you please help me understand a little bit better your point? Since it does contradict what I've heard already?

What would you do if you were in my position? I'm struggling already with my budget and it seems like you would get a 1440p monitor and the i7 which will require an increase of 400€ of my budget. 

We live in a day and age where people still think the i5 6600K is still the best for gaming, although some people have picked up on the fact that the i7 6700K isn't a bad investment at all, courtesy of Battlefield 1. Linus has been wrong many, many times (RAM speed + i7 6700K delidding videos are just two examples of where he's gone horribly wrong) so it's no surprise that he's not 100% right there either.

As for the videos, the first one doesn't even measure the minimum framerate, arguably the biggest benefit of the i7 6700K over the i5 6600K. As for the second, it's all at 1440p so the 'bottlenecking' (or whatever you want to call it) is going to be less pronounced, although we did see the i5 6600K hit 100% max usage even at 1440p for GTA V.

Don't get a i7 6700K and a 1440p monitor if you want to only play at 1080p 144Hz. I've looked over your initial build and I think you should make some changes to compensate for the i7 6700K's higher price.

1. Change the Samsung 850 EVO to the Crucial MX300. It's a cheaper alternative that uses the same 3D NAND memory so it's still competitive in terms of speed and reliability.

2. Get rid of the H75 and get a cheap air cooler. The beQuiet! PURE ROCK and the CRYORIG H7 are solid choices.

With the saved money, I think a i7 6700K isn't entirely out of the question at that point.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

the age of the nobrainer i5 is over guys. depends on the game u play now and settings xD

45 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

We live in a day and age where people still think the i5 6600K is still the best for gaming, although some people have picked up on the fact that the i7 6700K isn't a bad investment at all, courtesy of Battlefield 1. Linus has been wrong many, many times (RAM speed + i7 6700K delidding videos are just two examples of where he's gone horribly wrong) so it's no surprise that he's not 100% right there either.

As for the videos, the first one doesn't even measure the minimum framerate, arguably the biggest benefit of the i7 6700K over the i5 6600K. As for the second, it's all at 1440p so the 'bottlenecking' (or whatever you want to call it) is going to be less pronounced, although we did see the i5 6600K hit 100% max usage even at 1440p for GTA V.

Don't get a i7 6700K and a 1440p monitor if you want to only play at 1080p 144Hz. I've looked over your initial build and I think you should make some changes to compensate for the i7 6700K's higher price.

1. Change the Samsung 850 EVO to the Crucial MX300. It's a cheaper alternative that uses the same 3D NAND memory so it's still competitive in terms of speed and reliability.

2. Get rid of the H75 and get a cheap air cooler. The beQuiet! PURE ROCK and the CRYORIG H7 are solid choices.

With the saved money, I think a i7 6700K isn't entirely out of the question at that point.

Thanks a lot for the analysis! 

If I finally get the i7, should I stick to the z170? some have recommended me MSI H170M PRO-VDH, MSI H170M-A PRO, Asus H170M-PLUS, I've seen the price is significantly lower, but I fear the price would cost me performance or features I don't even know about. What do you think?

Regarding the cooler, don't you think it'd be important to have liquid cooler? I live in a hot area in Spain. Plus, I can't find those models you suggest in the store, would the Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H45 be enough? it's just 54€ instead of 91€.

28 minutes ago, jmv_vicente said:

Thanks a lot for the analysis! 

If I finally get the i7, should I stick to the z170? some have recommended me MSI H170M PRO-VDH, MSI H170M-A PRO, Asus H170M-PLUS, I've seen the price is significantly lower, but I fear the price would cost me performance or features I don't even know about. What do you think?

Regarding the cooler, don't you think it'd be important to have liquid cooler? I live in a hot area in Spain. Plus, I can't find those models you suggest in the store, would the Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H45 be enough? it's just 54€ instead of 91€.

Don't get a H170 motherboard with a K-series CPU. You'll lose the ability to overclock using the multiplier. Only Z170 motherboards can.

Don't be put under the impression that 'liquid cooling' automatically means it's better. It's not. 120mm and 140mm AIOs offer terrible cooling for their price... and like I said before, a similarly priced/cheaper air cooler can outperform it whilst producing less noise and having less points of failure. For 46 euros, you can get the Scythe FUMA which will destroy the Corsair H45.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 hours ago, smokefest said:

worth waiting for kaby lake

Nope. Definitely no. Unless you're in the i-want-the-latest-and-greatest-pc-components bandwagon. 5-15% performance improvement wont make me buy the same chip that some of you guys probably already have (much like Apple products).

7 hours ago, mata-pombos said:

Exactly. Plus after release, there will be price gouging same as when GeForce 10 series were released last year.

6 hours ago, smokefest said:

6700k ovviously...

Better single core performance than the i5.. and has 4 more threads.. more cache... more of everything :P higher clock speed...

And some games are very cpu demanding like BF1 where an i5 struggle a bit, so yeah.. the 6700k worth it a lot..

My title isn't a typo. It said 6700, not 6700k.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

2 minutes ago, FRN said:

My title isn't a typo. It said 6700, not 6700k.

Buy the best CPU that you can. If you can get the i7 without sacrificing another part in the build, go for it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Buy the best CPU that you can. If you can get the i7 without sacrificing another part in the build, go for it.

I'm going for the 6600k. I've read a few articles and benchmarks (although unofficial yet) of 7600k. And going with an i7 6700/k will mean losing the budget for the SSD, and I can't do that.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i5-7600k-kaby-lake-cpu-benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

2 hours ago, smokefest said:

the age of the nobrainer i5 is over guys. depends on the game u play now and settings xD

It ain't unless you have the budget to purchase an i7 and not affect the budget allocation for other components. It depends on your budget. We pick our own poison. LOL