Good gaming headset for under $100

David P.

Can anyone recommend a gaming headset with good audio and mic quality for under $100? Thanks!

Razer Kraken. Very good quality audio and mic is generally pretty good judging by my friends' opinions of my voice on Skype. The mic is retractable so doesn't waste space or stick out when youre not using it.

It's comfy, adjustable, good software support, really can't complain about it.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

HyperX Cloud. Anything else is subpar if you are looking for good audio quality. 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

31 minutes ago, treeroy said:

No.... No. That headset is horse shit.

13 hours ago, David P. said:

Can anyone recommend a gaming headset with good audio and mic quality for under $100? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

Pretty much the only headset worth getting other than sennheiser's PC line (now called Game Zero and Game One).

42 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No.... No. That headset is horse shit.

Yep, yep, I hear this every time I bring my Razer headphones up. I ain't buying it buddy. Those headphones are one of the best purchases ive ever made.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, treeroy said:

Yep, yep, I hear this every time I bring my Razer headphones up. I ain't buying it buddy. Those headphones are one of the best purchases ive ever made.

Then you've made 2 purchases, the other one is literal feces. You have shit headphones and are trying to rationalize a poor purchase. Don't try to convince other people to buy that garbage.

19 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Then you've made 2 purchases, the other one is literal feces. You have shit headphones and are trying to rationalize a poor purchase. Don't try to convince other people to buy that garbage.

Why am I not allowed an opinion?

I'm not trying to rationalise anything, I genuinely love these.

What makes you say they are "garbage"? Is it a generic elitist hatred of anything that markets itself towards "gamers" instead of proper audiophile professionals? Have you ever tried them?

57 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Why am I not allowed an opinion?

I'm not trying to rationalise anything, I genuinely love these.

What makes you say they are "garbage"? Is it a generic elitist hatred of anything that markets itself towards "gamers" instead of proper audiophile professionals? Have you ever tried them?

Lol you idiot. Those headphones barely fit on my ears, they are very hot and heavy, and they are over priced. Also they are from Razer so they have a lower quality control.

1 hour ago, treeroy said:

You're living up to your avatar :P 

There's no room for opinion when objectivity exists.

Yes I owned some. They sound terrible for the price. The mic is garbage. They are not durable.

They're shit headphones and you're trying to rationalize a poor purchase. I'm sorry.

10 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You're living up to your avatar :P 

There's no room for opinion when objectivity exists.

Yes I owned some. They sound terrible for the price. The mic is garbage. They are not durable.

They're shit headphones and you're trying to rationalize a poor purchase. I'm sorry.

"No room for opinion" wtf are you talking about? This is a FORUM. Where people express their OPINIONS. Why aren't I allowed mine?

Peripherals are much more subjective than hardware.

21 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Extremely low-end audio equipment has very little room for opinion. There is so much objectivity. It isn't talking about which sound signature you prefer, it's talking about objective garbage. Your opinion is worthless here.

It's like you holding a turd and eating it, you legitimately enjoy it and try to claim that it's nutritious. But that doesn't make it delicious or nutritious. 

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Extremely low-end audio equipment has very little room for opinion. There is so much objectivity. It isn't talking about which sound signature you prefer, it's talking about objective garbage. Your opinion is worthless here.

It's like you holding a turd and eating it, you legitimately enjoy it and try to claim that it's nutritious. But that doesn't make it delicious or nutritious. 

What the actual fuck, I read all those comments and I must say I am ashamed to share these forums with people like you. Why do people automatically become assholes when it comes to headphones?

He recommended headphones that he has tried, not everyone can try every pair of headphones. I have a turtle beach headset and I think the audio is pretty good but I know the mic is shit. Given I haven't tried every headset out there so I don't have much to compare them to. I remember recommending these to someone on here before because they have good quality audio from what I have tried and they are really cheap. Does that make my opinion wrong? Just because I think they are good and you don't agree doesn't mean that the person who buys them wont be happy with them, maybe you should think about that instead of being so closed minded.

Just now, David P. said:

There is very little room for opinion with extremely low-end headphones. At the low end where you don't have the luxury of choosing a sound signature you like, it's almost as simple as good and bad. And the Kraken's are bad. He hasn't tried enough to really have any idea, so he blindly recommends the only ones he has tried and gets people to waste Sorry if you interpret that as me being an asshole.

7 minutes ago, David P. said:

What the actual fuck, I read all those comments and I must say I am ashamed to share these forums with people like you. Why do people automatically become assholes when it comes to headphones?

He recommended headphones that he has tried, not everyone can try every pair of headphones. I have a turtle beach headset and I think the audio is pretty good but I know the mic is shit. Given I haven't tried every headset out there so I don't have much to compare them to. I remember recommending these to someone on here before because they have good quality audio from what I have tried and they are really cheap. Does that make my opinion wrong? Just because I think they are good and you don't agree doesn't mean that the person who buys them wont be happy with them, maybe you should think about that instead of being so closed minded.

@JoeyDM is correct though. The razer kraken is genuinely a bad product.

Though his way of expressing himself may be a tad blunt, he was simply trying to point out that when the sound quality is bad, like it is the case with the aforementioned product, there is no room left for opinion. The product is bad, and that's the end of the story.

When you have a good headphone, you can have your opinion and say yes I liek or no I no liek, but in this case you can't. Well, you still may liek, but the product is bad, so whatever opinion is completely irrelevant.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

You are right that I haven't tried many headphones, however I have had these for over 3 years and I personally recommend them.  I dont see the issue in that.

Incidentally, in terms of audio quality, I have tried very high end headphones and I can't tell the difference in quality. I'm sure technically there are plenty of headphones with wider band of frequency and with more power, but honestly to the average person like me, I cannot tell the difference. I think they are great in virtually every way.

Sorry that I like something that you don't...

2 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I have tried very high end headphones and I can't tell the difference in quality.

If you can't tell the difference between good and bad headphones, then you shouldn't be recommending headphones.

Otherwise, what in the world are you basing your recommendations on?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

8 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

@JoeyDM is correct though. The razer kraken is genuinely a bad product.

Though his way of expressing himself may be a tad blunt, he was simply trying to point out that when the sound quality is bad, like it is the case with the aforementioned product, there is no room left for opinion. The product is bad, and that's the end of the story.

When you have a good headphone, you can have your opinion and say yes I liek or no I no liek, but in this case you can't. Well, you still may liek, but the product is bad, so whatever opinion is completely irrelevant.

How is it "objectively" a bad product? The only thing that can be objective about it is some numbers about audio, which are only relative, and do not define how "good" something is.

I just looked at Amazon and it has 4/5 from 500 reviews. So if most people who buy it are satisfied with it then how is it a bad product?

It's bad in your opinion, that's all. Your opinion is not fact.

7 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

That's a super f*cking ignorant mindset...just because you don't agree with someone's opinion=/=they are wrong...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

18 hours ago, David P. said:

HyperX Cloud II

19 minutes ago, treeroy said:

How is it "objectively" a bad product? The only thing that can be objective about it is some numbers about audio, which are only relative, and do not define how "good" something is.

Because it sounds bad. No, I'm not talking about the technical specifications, I'm talking about the richness of the tone-spectrum, which in this headset sounds dull.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's a super f*cking ignorant mindset...just because you don't agree with someone's opinion=/=they are wrong...

I'll reword it then, because you are both misunderstanding me.

Imagine for a second that we have a speaker that sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnDbNST8t_k

In my opinion the speaker from the linked video sounds wonderful. Marvelous. Is my opinion valid here? No, it is not valid, because the speaker is clearly broken and the sound qualitly is terrible.

Now let's go back to the headphones again. To the average Joe the headphones might sound OK, but if you are able to listen in very closely, you can notice that the sound quality is not good compared to similar priced products, even compared to some slightly inferior priced products.

It is how it is. Not a matter of opinion, but of fact.

10 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

It is how it is. Not a matter of opinion, but of fact.

It is still opinions, there's no hard facts except opinions of consumers and reviewers of a product. 

For example, how many of you actually notice the difference between ultra and high? To me, they all look the same and frankly I cannot give a shit about whether a game looks better than another or not. You're led to believe something in better than something else but that's not always the case. 

If I went on my PS3 and had GTA 5 side by side to my desktop, I'd wouldn't say the ps3 version is unplayable as I don't give a shit about the drop in visuals and 30fps still feels smooth on a console (I'm a 120Hz master race person by the way).

Numbers and whatever are only there to aid someone to persuade other's opinions as if everyone was saying how the cloud 2s sounds shit and the kraken sounds good, you'd all be recommending the krakens. 

@Mr.Meerkat

Yes, you are right, there are no hard facts, only opinions.

However, if the more knowledgeable opinions on a certain $90 headset are that is sounds good and balanced, and the opinions on a different $90 headset are that it sounds dull and off, it would be pretty stupid to recommend the latter.

7 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

No... Until you hit the point that you can choose between a bunch of different good headphones with different sound signatures, there are a lot of hard facts and objectivity. Krakens are shit.

@treeroy sorry if I sound mean; but if you've tried almost nothing, and can't tell the difference between Krakens and "high end" headphones, then it isn't your place to make recommendations. You're just going to get other beginners to waste their money. The only thing that people buy them for is because of the gamer branding, which doesn't make or break headphones. Ignore branding and look at the product. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

No... Until you hit the point that you can choose between a bunch of different good headphones with different sound signatures, there are a lot of hard facts and objectivity. Krakens are shit.

I know, but technically the fact that Krakens are shit is an opinion. Technically. Yes, they sound bad, but you can't prove it with hard facts. Or can you?

7 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Where are the facts that say headphones like the krakens and beats are worse than something like clouds and sennhiesers? They are only opinions of people the audio community looks up to thus they tell everyone else they are shit. 

I know they aren't great but you know what, some people actually and properly like them and under no circumstances should they be shot down just for giving their real opinions of it especially when there's no hard real facts that can say they are wrong.