Desktop environment

Hi linux users

I wanna know what desktop environment you're using and why.

I'm gonna have to choose one soon so a little bit of help would be great.

You can install them all and try then all if you want.

Im a sucker for gnome on fast systems, or i3/xfce when I feel like messing with stuff.

I don't really care I end up on unity because I really can't be arsed to change it. elementaryOs and solus have really nice UIs too.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I use MATE, mainly for cleanliness.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

26 minutes ago, MrSha256 said:

I used gnome3 for several years, i really like it. I use Unity now because its stable & fast now and I needed Ubuntu to run a later stable kernel than what Debian 8 has. I dont think Unity is as good as Gnome3 but I have no real complaints as long as if its fast and works. For my old netbook I used open box on its own because it was super speedy. I used mate for a while; its good but on fast hardware its no faster than Gnome3 or Unity. I use Mate on my raspberry pi.

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

on Windows you don't really get to choose

you can only choose not to use windows :( 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Can't you install Gnome on Ubuntu?

yes but as long as if unity works I have no reason to change. There are some things I dont like about it after coming from Gnome3 but not enough to switch. My most pressing issue is mapping my apple keyboard to match ctrl and command key functions to the way my mac behaves. The only thing I can't find on Unity is something similar to Apple's mission control and whatever it is called when you press the windows key on Gnome3

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, MrSha256 said:

Hi linux users

I'm gonna have to choose one soon so a little bit of help would be great.

Im not currently running Linux, But Im more partial to GNOME than anything else. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Currently using budgie (The one Solus uses) and loving it.

I have tried manny diffrent DE´s, and i have to say they are all getting better.
I cannot realy say that i have a favorite DE right now.
But i can say the DE´s that i dont like, which are Gnome3, Unity and Pantheon.

De´s that i do appreciate.

• Budgie: Still needs some improvements, but to me its pretty much what Gnome3 should be for traditional desktop use.

• XFCE: Simplistic but rock sollid.
    But i think that it starts to lose some popularity against Mate.
    However the whisker menu is still second to non imo.

• LXQT: Realy nice, makes me forget LXDE pretty quickly.

• Mate: I have never realy be a huge fan of the traditional Mate desktop with the Gnome2 look.
    But i do think that mate has made some progress.
    Advanced app menu, theming and control center are pretty nice.

• KDE plasma 5.8.2: pretty much the best looking and most customizable DE imo.
    But unfortunatly its still a bit buggy to me. But i think there is a problem with my VB.

• Cinnamon: Its pretty straight forward, but to me a bit boring.
    I wished it had a bit more tweaking and functionality.

I use Xubuntu - standard desktop that just works. I used KDE3 long ago but went away when KDE4 came out. Just don't have the patience to kill every weird effect and reinvented ideas. Cinnamon  is good too. I'm not a big fan of Unity and Gnome.

On my desktop I use KDE Plasma, after giving up on using LXDE. Theming on the latest GTK3 is a royal pain. On the laptop I did use LXDE experience from LXLE, until I decided to give i3 a try, for increased speed, even more reduced memory footprint and "more" usable screen state (at least virtual state at a keystroke) which is now the default on my laptop. I've used some more too. Enjoyed LXQT (and probably I would be using it instead of KDE) but feels that it needs more polish for my personal taste before I can use it daily, and has a rather nasty bug with dual screen wallpapers, so until then. Used GNOME too, and while it wasn't bad, I didn't liked the way it changed how to work with the windows, and the the whole interface like if my PC was a tablet (which it isn't). And if I'm going to customize everything in GNOME to make it more PC like may as well go directly with i3 instead.

Does me for now, might have a go with solus at some point.

screenFetch-2016-11-26_10-31-13.png

23 minutes ago, kol said:

Does me for now, might have a go with solus at some point.

screenFetch-2016-11-26_10-31-13.png

I like the idea of where Solus is getting.

They are independed and i can only encurrage that.

The only downside of that is that their software repository isn´t as large as say Ubuntu or Arch.

However the positive side of this, its less likely to get a package that either breaks the system or contains mallicious code.

Thats a bit of the tricky part with an Arch based distro using the AUR.

Next to that Solus their repository is realy starting to grow.

And as long as it contains all the main software that the general public would need.

Then i think that their project could be a large succes.

But it could also fail, if they dont maintain it too well.

I use Centos7 with GNOME. My only reason is Centos7 being os on all my servers so it's more convenient than Debian or others. Technically It wouldn't be much difference if I used Fedora. 

However it's important in this case that my primary os is win10 and I use Centos as my secondary os.