Cheapest Custom Liquid Cooling Solution?

46 minutes ago, Squ1rtlePWN said:

Hey, Linus, Corsair Hydro H55 for 40 USD on Newegg. Yours, with tubing, is about 40.50 USD, so YOU'RE A LIAR! Nice work though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029&ignorebbr=1

I have a h55, what he bought or made was basally a DIY H55

Yours faithfully

So, I've actually done this, except instead of getting the $25 copper water block, I got the $5 aluminum version...

https://www.amazon.com/Oxidation-Cooling-Block-Computer-semiconductor/dp/B01MECPBSO/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479701477&sr=1-11&keywords=water+block

I also used that exact water pump haha.

I used an old oil cooler radiator with a fan tied onto it and had it in a bucket on the floor to use as the reservoir / drop catcher because I didn't seal the connection to the radiator, then I just had the pump in the bucket because its submersible.

As a bonus, because it was winter in canada I could supercharge the cooling with snow as long as I was careful not to get it to the point where condensation would be an issue...

I've taken it apart since because it was so janky though obviously...

Anyone got a line on where I can get that Nvidia hoodie?

Whose idea was to add artificial sounds? Electrical machine, bubbles and so on.

Also Linus says "I'm not gonna cut this tubing because it's expensive", not even a minute after he cut it on the video.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

@nicklmg@LinusTech

considering how often you drill sheet metal and not much else I'd recommend this kind of drill:

Unibits.JPG

I believe it is called a "Step drill bit" or "Unibit", much easier and faster for what you want to do. You don't even have to change the drill if you got the hole dimensions wrong.

@LinusTech

In case you are unaware, when you are complaining about the soldering iron sponge being missing you are holding its replacement in your left hand. Those brass wire pots work much better than sponges IMO.

6 hours ago, jonathan24 said:

why dont want to try bykski watercooling kit???

I have one on my R9 270x.  It's pretty mint.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Also Linus says "I'm not gonna this tubing because it's expensive", not even a minute after he cut it on the video.

And not too long after saying something like "tubing can be obtained very cheaply, so it doesn't affect the price of our setup much" :P 

But you don't have to use the exact same, of course.

19 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I have a h55, what he bought or made was basally a DIY H55

lol my point was only that if you look around, you can find less janky solutions that are less likely to leak and more likely to last a long time for the same price as doing it yourself at ACE.

• 3 weeks later...

Say linus you may want to press Youtube on this video.  They stole your entire video. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what song is playing at 3:25?