What Micro Should I Buy?

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to hobby electronics if you don't count making a shake flashlight in fourth grade, but I'm a freshman studying Computer Science and Physics in college. I'm looking to get some sort of prototyping platform reasonably cheap (under $50). The obvious choices are the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino, but I've heard of some other off-brand projects that are decent as well. I don't intend to do anything ridiculous with it, maybe some servo control or I2C type applications and I'm thinking about a couple of possible integrated applications though I won't be doing anything with those ideas for a couple years. Just hoping to get a few recommendations from people that have used these kinds of things before. Which ones are better for what applications? Which ones are easiest to learn on and have good documentation? As a side note: I currently have experience in python and java, but I am willing and able to learn any language if it has good documentation.

EDIT: I should also ask what model would be the best to go with.

Edited by TheSlamProgram

Id probably get a arduino. 

Most micro's will do simmilar things(you don't seem to have any specific requirements), but what your getting is the community and good software and cool projects and guides. 

Later on when your working on building a object to sell, you will start looking at digikey or the like for a micro that fits your exact needs, but a arduino is great for now.

If you have never used a micro before, just go for an arduino. Simple, cheap, well documented, and more tutorials than you can poke a stick at. Seriously, the arduino was designed specifically for beginners. No reason to look for anything else if you are just starting and all you want to do is some simple interfacing with the real world. Just consider that most artduino's are laughably underpowered for more advanced projects, specially those that require heavy calculations.

Cheers

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Above two posters are suggesting the Arduino, and I agree with their points.

However if you're studying Computer Science, there may be more benefit in picking up a Raspberry Pi instead as it would give you experience with a small Linux system to program rather than simple AVR. Honestly at the prices you can find a Raspberry Pi Zero and a Arduino kit, there's no reason to not own both. It would cost no more than 40-50 dollars and you'd see the advantages and disadvantages to both.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

I agree with @MarieKirya ,  you should  get both.  the arduino is best for embedded applications, smaller projects. I have used many arduino chips in my projects, I have 3 in my power supply (because I could). rpi  is good for things like remote cameras and things where a gui  is useful as well as many other things. 

I'm waiting for the PIC guys to come in and defend their honor lol...

Aside from that, for 50 bucks you could get alot of stuff. Like they said, a bit of Arduino and Rpi should do you good. Don't bother with those lesser known brands as they don't offer the same amount of documentation nor community support. Only go for those if you've had some experience with the mainstream stuff.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?