Risk of RAID 0 with SSD's

DELTAprime

Given current SSD technology and Intel motherboard RAID controllers is the risk of running say 2 1tb 850 EVO's in RAID 0 reduced significantly over the days when Intel first started putting RAID controllers on consumer boards and we had to use 500gb SATA 1 mechanical hard drives?

For those wondering what I'm thinking of doing I'm wanting to double me game storage, but a second 1tb 850 EVO is much cheaper than a 2tb 850 EVO.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

I would say in general, because of the reliability of SSD's your likely safer doing it than with mechanical drives. *but* motherboard RAID has some drawbacks. If your motherboard dies, your RAID config and all your data goes with it, where as with a dedicated RAID card you can typically buy another card from the manufacturer and rebuild the RAID.

Also, tasks like updating your BIOS will typically reset your motherboard and also erase your RAID config, again with the loss of data.

Your best bet would be to do the RAID array in your motherboard and backup to an external hard disk. This would allow you to achieve your goal as well as ensure the integrity of your data.

I've personally got 4 1TB mechanical drives in RAID 0 using my motherboard's RAID, which typically would be risky, but its been running solid for 3 years now, and I make a weekly backup of my data to both an external hard drive and a cloud storage service.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

I think you would get more problems with a raid0 boot drive possibly than a raid0 games D: for example..

Just theorizing that more tiny writes as an is drive..on a failing drive would show up faster.

But who knows.

I have 840 Pro drives in raid0 for games.

Before this I had them for Windows, then got another SSD and cloned.. yada yada. Never had problems with either setup then or now.. so far at least.

These drives.. both 840Pro were bought seperately, a year and a bit apart, have been across two motherboards as well.

I do however, realize risks, do know that others have had their fair share of problems.

It all depends on how you can mitigate a loss quickly recover and go again.

Risk vs Reward vs Precautions

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz