Xeon and ram

So I have an Intel Xeon 2666 v3 and there is very little known about it but I need to know if I need etc memory for it otherwise I'm screwed.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81706/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2660-v3-25M-Cache-2_60-GHz

It has some specifications on memory here. It needs DDR4 memory and it can be ECC.

Other than that I would check the 'verified working' list of the motherboard you are using.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

http://ark.intel.com/products/81706/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2660-v3-25M-Cache-2_60-GHz

It has some specifications on memory here. It needs DDR4 memory and it can be ECC.

Other than that I would check the 'verified working' list of the motherboard you are using.

There's no way to check that at all

3 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

There's no way to check that at all

That as in the verified memory list? Do you have a motherboard in mind at all? You need an X99 motherboard by the way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What motherboard are you trying to use it with?

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That as in the verified memory list? Do you have a motherboard in mind at all? You need an X99 motherboard by the way.

1 minute ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

What motherboard are you trying to use it with?

Msi x99 gaming pro. And the memory is Corsair DDR4 led 3200mhz. The cpu doesn't want to boot in my system. Everything works and turns except the debug led says 19 and thats a South bridge early initialization thing. The cpu isn't a standard cpu at all a

It's es and it was only used for an amazon server when it was made for private use. It has no information on ark so I can't look anything up on it.

You know you need an external video output, right? A graphics card, per say, since Xeons don't have internal graphics processors.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

You know you need an external video output, right? A graphics card, per say, since Xeons don't have internal graphics processors.

I got a 980 ti

I'm not aware of the correct numbers, models and dates of manufacturing of these CPUs, but are you sure this isn't an engineering sample Xeon? I know that the 2670v3 is, and only some consumer motherboards (like the ASRock X99 Taichi) supports it.

I'm not aware of the correct numbers, models and dates of manufacturing of these CPUs, but are you sure this isn't an engineering sample Xeon? I know that the 2670v3 is, and only some consumer motherboards (like the ASRock X99 Taichi) supports it.

I just said it was an es

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I just said it was an es

Roger that, i'm looking at your mobo specs to see if can come up with a solution.

Well, it is supposed to work with this motherboard, what a random issue.

I'd say you try to test the mobo with another CPU or RAM, but seeing this is a hard (read as "almost impossible") thing to achieve, you could clear the CMoS, download the newest BIOS file and pray for the best at the moment...

6 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Well, it is supposed to work with this motherboard, what a random issue.

I'd say you try to test the mobo with another CPU or RAM, but seeing this is a hard (read as "almost impossible") thing to achieve, you could clear the CMoS, download the newest BIOS file and pray for the best at the moment...

I don't have another cpu, I don't have any other ram, and with both not working. How am I supposed to download a new bios the it won't boot?

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I just said it was an es

ES cpus have issues which is why they are ES instead of QS, or retail models, and won't be compatible with all motherboards, most likely that chip is only compatible with a handful of server boards which ones exactly is hard to find out.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

42 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

ES cpus have issues which is why they are ES instead of QS, or retail models, and won't be compatible with all motherboards, most likely that chip is only compatible with a handful of server boards which ones exactly is hard to find out.

Weird, because i use a Dell-sourced ES chip on my machine as well, in theory it should work.

17 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Weird, because i use a Dell-sourced ES chip on my machine as well, in theory it should work.

In theory a lot of things are supposed to work. With ES cpus they are never guaranteed to work on every board, or even at all in some cases.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •