First 3d printable model

uzarnom

Hi everyone,
not sure if this is the right thread (i've seen other 3d printing stuff here, but idk)

I'm planning to build a low power server, so i'll be needing some 2.5HDD cages that i can stack and make easily. (like so)

stack.PNG

I've made the cages with 123D Design.

frontish.PNG

the inner dimensions is exactly enough for my test drive (7mm height, 69mm width.)

tight fit.PNG

(here is the 3d drive i'm using with the dimensions)

Drive dimensions.PNG

So Question:

1. Am i doing anything obviously wrong (not enough inner room for the drive, not all 2.5 HDD are the same sizes)

2. is the file okay or have i done something that'll waste all the printer filament

I'll be getting a single one printed at my library soon, as my first prototype.

I've attached the 123d Design files and a STL file if you want any other ones let me know, but (hopfully) you shouldn't need the files.

Thanks

(Edited the 123 design see rest of post for details)

V11 increase width to have some extra room.123dx

Most drives are up to a max of 10mm. You'll need to increase the height to account for the thickness of the plastic. Also I don't see any support structure to hold the top plate, Otherwise the plastic will simply collapse. Think of bridge construction.

-アパゾ

2 minutes ago, APasz said:

Most drives are up to a max of 10mm. You'll need to increase the height to account for the thickness of the plastic. Also I don't see any support structure to hold the top plate, Otherwise the plastic will simply collapse. Think of bridge construction.

Sweet Thanks for that i'll adjust the height and maybe remove the top bit. (the next one i stack shall provide the bottom.
also should i be adding supports for the wings too? they are 1 cm from the body (does it take a while to cool and will it sag?)

Thanks again :D

Thanks for the bridge analogy, really made sense.

New design.

- open top increased the height of the walls to allow 10mm drives

- added supports for the side mounts

new design.PNG

V10 added supports.123dx

17 minutes ago, uzarnom said:

~snip~

Looks good. Just to make sure have you accounted for width? Drive size is 69.85mm wide so the inside should be that wide. you've got an extra couple mm to play with here though. Also have you thought about how you're attaching the drives to the tray?

Depending on how your 3d printer handles overhangs those might cause an issue where it will start the leading edge of the top mount flap and not connect to the support. Some printers can avoid this, others can't.

Hardening times will depend on plastic type, thickness, environment, so on but no more then an hour.

-アパゾ

3 minutes ago, APasz said:

Looks good. Just to make sure have you accounted for width? Drive size is 69.85mm wide so the inside should be that wide. you've got an extra couple mm to play with here though. Also have you thought about how you're attaching the drives to the tray?

Depending on how your 3d printer handles overhangs those might cause an issue where it will start the leading edge of the top mount flap and not connect to the support. Some printers can avoid this, others can't.

Hardening times will depend on plastic type, thickness, environment, so on but no more then an hour.

Thanks again for all the advice,

for attaching the drive, initially i had some screw holes, but i might try drilling them after it prints.
i'll also be using some sata adapters hoping they will also help hold things together

SKU038374.1.jpg

Again Thank you for taking the time to help me
(file updated: V11)

do those holes for attaching the sleds have to be there for some other reason? why not make the sleds interlock? i don't want to steal your project but would you like me to give it a shot?

3 minutes ago, hambobolubia said:

do those holes for attaching the sleds have to be there for some other reason? why not make the sleds interlock? i don't want to steal your project but would you like me to give it a shot?

Go for it buddy, the latest version is up top.

The holes are there so i can attach it to a case and each other. if you have a better idea for linking them feel free. i might try and make a copy of what you do (to get better).

I've already sent a copy to be printed so i'll let you know if i find any other defects.
If you want me to upload any file format let me know

41 minutes ago, uzarnom said:

Go for it buddy, the latest version is up top.

The holes are there so i can attach it to a case and each other. if you have a better idea for linking them feel free. i might try and make a copy of what you do (to get better).

I've already sent a copy to be printed so i'll let you know if i find any other defects.

i was think of something like this im not quite done still have to put the clips on but you'll get the idea 

hdd tray wip.PNG

3 minutes ago, hambobolubia said:

Nom Nom

Looking much better then mine. The reason i've left an open back is for the adapter (linked above).
For the side clips HOLY SHIT, i feel like an idiot for not think of this, your a genius.
Thanks. i'll be trying to mimic this

alright here is my final model the demisions are exact so there is no slop for printing (you will have to do a bit of sanding) but all of the angles match up let me know what format you can open in 123D because im using solidworks. you should be able to open the .x_t file if not let me know

hdd tray done.PNG

2.5in hdd tray.STL

2.5in hdd tray.x_t

2.5in hdd.SLDPRT

43 minutes ago, hambobolubia said:

Nom

Thanks, i'll probably try to replicate this but the stl file is good for me.
Thank you so much for this,

sorry to ask for more but any idea where i can lookup simple effective joins like this.

Again this this a very elegant and genius solution that didn't occur to me.

Also am i keeping you up? google says it 5-8am in canada
Thanks again

1 minute ago, uzarnom said:

sorry to ask for more but any idea where i can lookup simple effective joins like this.

not quite sure what your asking... no your not keeping me up im on the east coast and had nothing to do.... yes its early but meh

Just now, hambobolubia said:

not quite sure what your asking... no your not keeping me up im on the east coast and had nothing to do.... yes its early but meh

lol thanks again, ignore me just trying to sap knowledge from you.

Thanks again for helping a newbie like me :D

2 hours ago, hambobolubia said:

No problem any other questions just ask

Sweet Thanks,
Question: is there a name for this type of connector?

14 hours ago, hambobolubia said:

To connect the sleds together? I don't think.  I did it by hand 

ahh fair enough, thanks again

Do factor in for shrinkage. Some filament will shrink in size after cooling down.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

34 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

Do factor in for shrinkage. Some filament will shrink in size after cooling down.

Thanks, good advice for my next print :D