How to increase performance in AE and Premiere?

So I'm an amateur trying out the trials for premiere and ae. I have both installed on my 120gb boot drive ssd. But I don't have enough space for raw footage on the ssd so I keep it on my hard drive. My AE performance is kind of slow, I have a i7-4790k with 16gb of RAM.

Would buying a bigger SSD and moving all my video related stuff to that SSD increase performance

or

buying more RAM?

(buying a new CPU is out of the equation) 

Buying a graphics card is the best option.

Buying ram won't increase your performance because you already have 16 gb (that's enough for most of the work). SSD will increase a little bit of performance but graphics card will have a huge impact on performance.

30 minutes ago, Sahil10416 said:

Buying a graphics card is the best option.

Buying ram won't increase your performance because you already have 16 gb (that's enough for most of the work). SSD will increase a little bit of performance but graphics card will have a huge impact on performance.

I see, I do have a gtx 950 anyways...

8 hours ago, duckwithanokhat said:

So I'm an amateur trying out the trials for premiere and ae. I have both installed on my 120gb boot drive ssd. But I don't have enough space for raw footage on the ssd so I keep it on my hard drive. My AE performance is kind of slow, I have a i7-4790k with 16gb of RAM.

Would buying a bigger SSD and moving all my video related stuff to that SSD increase performance

or

buying more RAM?

(buying a new CPU is out of the equation) 

Explain to me what kind of performance issues you are facing?

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/improve-performance.html

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/14-tips-faster-rendering-effects/

And adding more RAM may help a bit.  When you preview compositions in AE, it pre-renders everything into memory (RAM).

I have the same processor on my desktop workstation as you do, but I also have the following setup:

32GB memory

1x SSD for OS and applications

2x 2TB HDDs in RAID 0 for project files and resources

another 2x 2TB HDDs in RAID 0 to render out all my outputs

AE is sort of a resource hog compared to Premiere, but that's because they are designed to do two different things.  Premiere is a video editing tool, AE is a motion graphics and compositing tool.  But because both are Adobe products, they can be used together in a workflow.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

And adding more RAM may help a bit.  When you preview compositions in AE, it pre-renders everything into memory (RAM).

I have the same processor on my desktop workstation as you do, but I also have the following setup:

32GB memory

AE is sort of a resource hog compared to Premiere, but that's because they are designed to do two different things.  Premiere is a video editing tool, AE is a motion graphics and compositing tool.  But because both are Adobe products, they can be used together in a workflow.

Yea its mostly just pre-rendering stuff. I have AE set to use 11gb out the 16gb I have, is that enough?

On 11/13/2016 at 7:15 PM, duckwithanokhat said:

Yea its mostly just pre-rendering stuff. I have AE set to use 11gb out the 16gb I have, is that enough?

16 is enough if you work with 1080p footage, more will be better if you work with 4K.  There's no real upper limit, if you can afford to max out your ram, then go ahead.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

23 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

16 is enough if you work with 108p footage, more will be better if you work with 4K.  There's no real upper limit, if you can afford to max out your ram, then go ahead.

RAM will help.. as will editing from an SSD.

I'd buy the ssd first as it has more of a use case than just AE and then upgrade to 32gb of RAM later.

On 11/13/2016 at 8:37 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

32GB memory

On a side note... Premium Beat has a ton of good tutorials and helpful articles, it's a great resource for all levels of video production.

AE will eat up everything you give it.  That is bad for hardware enthusiasts, like the people who use this forum, as your all money will disappear.