Recovering XP installation from dead laptop

Erdal

Hi all, 

I work at an industrial site and we are having trouble with an old Windows XP laptop which has bespoke software installed on it (used for communicating with control systems).  

The laptop has completely died (I suspect a motherboard failure of some sort as there is no response at all), but the hard drive is fine. 

We have backups of the data, but we do not have the installation files for some of the programs as these came preloaded with the laptop from the equipment OEM when we took over the site. (The OEM has since been taken over and we have no support contact). 

What we are now attempting to do is move the whole installation to a new laptop, but this obviously brings issues of drivers, licensing, compatibility etc. because of the different hardware and I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. 

Thanks

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz; GPU: MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr; RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz; SSD: 250 GB  Samsung EVO; Storage: 2x 1TB, 1x 2TB, 1x 3TB; PSU: Corsair AX750; Peripherals:  2x LG 1080p Monitors; Logitech G500; Corsair K70;

try using windows 10 pro on the new laptop, enable hyper v and convert the old hard drive into a vhd to be ran on the new laptop. (i know iit is a long winded solution but it was the first thing that came in my head)

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

If possible, could you look for another used, identical or very similar laptop to use as a replacement. Anything else is going to be painful and messy. Maybe this is a good time to look at upgrading to more modern, supported systems. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks for the replies. 

We've got one of the same laptops on order, but until it arrives we are not able to interact with the equipment if there is a problem.

Even after swapping the drive to a new laptop, it is a still an old HP nc6400 and we have the risk of the same problem occurring later on, so I'm looking for a way we could transfer it to all new hardware if possible. 

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz; GPU: MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr; RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz; SSD: 250 GB  Samsung EVO; Storage: 2x 1TB, 1x 2TB, 1x 3TB; PSU: Corsair AX750; Peripherals:  2x LG 1080p Monitors; Logitech G500; Corsair K70;

make a copy of the drive (just to be sure) and put it into a different machine. Then use paragon adaptive restore (there's a guide here on the forum) to adapt the windows install to the new machine.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace