nVidia is killing it - Q3 fiscal year financials

zMeul

source: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-financial-results-for-third-quarter-fiscal-2017

via: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10825/nvidia-announces-record-q3-fy-2017-results

640?cb=20150131182255

Today NVIDIA announced their fiscal earnings for the third quarter of their 2017 fiscal year (and yes, that’s not a typo). NVIDIA has cracked the $2 billion mark for quarterly revenue, with earnings of $2.004 billion this quarter. This is up an impressive 54% compared to the same quarter last year. This record revenue follows a previous record for Q2, and NVIDIA is forecasting revenue for next quarter of $2.1 billion, plus or minus two percent. With this rate of growth, they will easily surpass their best yearly earnings ever which was $5.01 billion announced in January 2016. They are on pace for close to $7 billion for the year, which is a dramatic increase at a time when the core PC market is in decline.

CmPsZ7R.png 

lS1ZknX.png

59% increase in revenue quarter to quarter and 60% year to year for gaming and datacenter sectors .. that's quite impressive

192% increase in revenue, year to year, for datacenter sector alone should have Intel scrambling

nVidia managed to gain more revenue this quarter in gaming, compared to AMD's computing and graphics combined, solely because they didn't gave up on the hi-end sector

simply put it, AMD doesn't have anything new to compete with GTX1070, GTX1080 and GTX Titan X

---

someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't quite understand the american way for the Fiscal Year

it's 2017 FY because it runs from January 2016 to February 2017

it's Q3 2017 because the fiscal year is 2017

It has nothing to do with the high end gaming cards. Nvidia is dominating everything from servers, self learning networks and self driving cars down to consumer parts. 
Nvidia understands that Enterprise is where you make the huge margins and that's where they are kicking ass.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Wow, its scary to think AMD may go under with the release of their quarterly report, especially with how well Nvidia and Intel are doing. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

At least their site could make the background green rather than blue. Sorry I don't know what to say

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

At least their site could make the background green rather than blue. Sorry I don't know what to say

what are you talking about? it's white 

Just now, zMeul said:

what are you talking about? it's white 

the year i mean

NVIDIA is KILLING it on all levels! With the 1070 and 1080 even the 1060, I was honestly surprised with how well all 3 cards performed. AMD needs to play catch up

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Poor AMD. Nvidia are going to increase their lead if they keep having massive profits like this cause they can invest tons more into RnD.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

11 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Poor AMD. Nvidia are going to increase their lead if they keep having massive profits like this cause they can invest tons more into RnD.

AMD will be fine as long as Zen is competitive. There's a lot of money in the processor market that they can snatch up.

Plus AMD has gained significant marketshare in this generation of GPUs, which is important for when Vega releases.

I would not worry about AMD.

3 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

AMD will be fine as long as Zen is competitive. There's a lot of money in the processor market that they can snatch up.

Plus AMD has gained significant marketshare in this generation, which is important for when Vega releases.

and consoles , they sold ~80m custom apus to both sony and Microsoft ,

and more to come w/ ps4pro and xb1s/scorp

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

New pricing really profited them. RIP volta pricing for us....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

But AMD are still haemorrhaging money. They lose money every quarter. That means they have less money to put into their upcoming products.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

But AMD are still haemorrhaging money. They lose money every quarter. That means they have less money to put into their upcoming products.

They're going to make a significant return once the 14 nm process is matured and they get more gpus/cpus per wafer. I think everyone expected to see a loss at the start since they're not dealing with huge margin products like Nvidia is, but it WILL turn around.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

They're going to make a significant return once the 14 nm process is matured and they get more gpus/cpus per wafer. I think everyone expected to see a loss at the start since they're not dealing with huge margin products like Nvidia is, but it WILL turn around.

Source please. I'd like to read it.

2 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Source please. I'd like to read it.

It's just how GPU manufacturing works. Not all GPUs in a wafer are good, but the number of good units will increase as the process matures. It happened with Maxwell for Nvidia, and since Pascal is basically shrunken Maxwell Nvidia can pull huge margins from the get go.

I don't have sources on hand, I can get them tomorrow tho since it's 2:30 AM lel.

since Pascal is basically shrunken Maxwell Nvidia

regurgitated bullshit

you are assuming AMD is making progress while the rest are going to stand still?!?

the 16nm process node nVidia based their Pascal GPUs on was alreay more power efficient than the 14nm process AMD manufactured their Polaris GPUs on

Intel already has a true 10nm process in the works, and future contracts for ARM based chips, not only x86

5 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I don't have sources on hand, I can get them tomorrow tho since it's 2:30 AM lel.

I should clarify I was after a source on AMD rebounding cause all I've heard is "AMD IS DOOMED!!!".

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

regurgitated bullshit

you are assuming AMD is making progress while the rest are going to stand still?!?

the 16nm process node nVidia based their Pascal GPUs on was alreay more power efficient than the 14nm process AMD manufactured their Polaris GPUs on

Intel already has a true 10nm process in the works, and future contracts for ARM based chips, not only x86

Lol I'm not saying that at all. Maxwell was already an insanely efficient architecture, shrinking it down and ramping up the clocks really works well for another generation while they perfect Volta, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's NOT A NEGATIVE THING as they are amazing cards. You should really calm down.

Also Pascal isn't more efficient than Polaris, at least if it is it isn't by much. Binned Polaris cards have insane perf/w, for example the workstation equivalent RX 480 has a max TDP of 95 watts down from the bog standard 150 watt tdp. That's insanely good and once the process becomes better you will see a relaunch of the RX cards with better clocks and performance per watt.

2 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

relaunch of the RX cards with better clocks and performance per watt.

not a single time did that work for AMD, and AMD did it for quite a lot of times

calm down

O.o

Just now, zMeul said:

not a single time did that work for AMD, and AMD did it for quite a lot of times

O.o

You seem on edge is all.

Well all I can say is AMD has the cards that do deliver on performance per watt, and if they can get more consistent quality then it IS something you will see. Hawaii/Tahiti never had good efficiency even when binned (afaik) so you can't really compare them.

You seem on edge is all.

you don't even know me xD

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you don't even know me xD

I don't think I need to know someone to see something like that.

Completely irrelevant however, I'm guessing you have nothing of substance to respond with? Was hoping for a decent discussion.

I don't think I need to know someone to see something like that.

facepalm.jpg