Review of the Razer Blade 14″ 1060, Razer Support and VR experience

I however was sad to hear that Razer gimped the 1060 by about 15% (source) which can be felt in demanding titles such as Battlefield 1. I’m a bit upset that this wasn’t communicated anywhere on Razer’s site as it would of affected my purchase decision. In the end I believe that this was required to make the 1060 fit into the Razer’s thermal profile, throttling chips aren’t good for longevity.

I have an Oculus Rift and the experience is hit and miss. On a fresh install of Windows 10 with all updates and the latest Nvidia/Intel drivers – I experienced frequent issues with the Rift simply not turning on when the face detection sensor was triggered. Unplugging the headset, quitting Oculus software and relaunching/reconnecting got it working again. I retested on my single GPU 1080 desktop and it worked perfectly – then reinstalled Windows on the Razer and still experienced the same issue. I also tried on the Razer stock OS install and alas, no dice.

I have a Unifi home network with four 802.11ac APs, each set to disassociate clients on 5GHZ when at -70RSSI. This is for roaming as I can take my devices around the house and seamlessly switch between APs so I’m not stuck on a distant weak AP when I move and sit in another room. For whatever reason, the Killer Wifi card in this unit doesn’t like this and kept reassociating to the distant AP, leading to poor Wifi performance. Another factor as the card has built in amplifiers, the RSSI doesn’t drop as much compared to other units when moving about – preventing the APs from kicking off the Blade at -70 RSSI as the signal strength is artificially higher. Simply put, the Killer Wifi amplifies the TX – causing high RSSI but as expected can’t do anything to amplify the RX as it’s dependent upon the AP’s transmitter.

I’m not a network engineer (but I claim to know a few things) and you may find issues with above – regardless the end user experience on my network with the Blade is subpar. Installing a spare Intel Wifi card resolved all of my issues.

https://rossfisher.me/2016/11/review-of-the-razer-blade-14-1060-razer-support-and-vr-experience/

I'm the author of the post and don't have much of an opinion about it - other than it's my first time posting here. Longtime LTT fan! I wish the Blade panned out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Article updated, thanks! This is my end user review of the Blade including VR experiences.

5 hours ago, Zorrobyte said:

Article updated, thanks!

what's your opinion however?

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

what's your opinion however?

Howdy,

I'm the author of the article. Should I provide an opinion on my own article? I'd be happy to do so however I feel as if I may be a bit biased ;)

Thank you for the advice nonetheless!

5 hours ago, Zorrobyte said:

Howdy,

I'm the author of the article. Should I provide an opinion on my own article? I'd be happy to do so however I feel as if I may be a bit biased ;)

Thank you for the advice nonetheless!

Oh then... guess it is fine, hard to know Zorrobyte and Ross Fisher are the same person