i7-6700K Vs. i7-5820K

Amer

Which is better for gaming/video editing and better overall?

Cheese

It's harder to compare them because its not apples to apples. The 6700k is skylake and the 5820k is haswell-e. The  6700k has 4 cores while the 5820k has 6 cores. So how much video editing are you going to do?

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

1 minute ago, PigWithAMustache said:

It's harder to compare them because its not apples to apples. The 6700k is skylake and the 5820k is haswell-e. The  6700k has 4 cores while the 5820k has 6 cores. So how much video editing are you going to do?

Not much really. Just going to stream when I'm bored or edit short clips.

Cheese

Just now, Amer said:

Not much really. Just going to stream when I'm bored or edit short clips.

Ok then get a 6700k. The extra cores and X99 is not worth it for the amount of editing you do.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Also better performance out of the box with the 6700K and possibly power savings xD? Definetly the most popular and powerful gaming cpu available.

Groomlake Authority

I7 6700K will be better most of the time, you will have to do quite a bit of video work and streaming to justify it over the 6700K seeing as the 6700K runs faster and has better IPC but has less cores

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I7 6700K will be better most of the time, you will have to do quite a bit of video work and streaming to justify it over the 6700K seeing as the 6700K runs faster and has better IPC but has less cores

Do you know a motherboard that will work with a 6700k i cbf looking

Cheese

Just now, Amer said:

anything with an LGA 1151 socket will work good but id recomend getting one with a Z170 chipset so you can overclock

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Amer said:

Budget?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5820k if you feel you'd need the additional threads but if you plan to game more the 6700k will be just fine.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Budget?

No budget

Cheese

I would go with the 5820k, because 2 extra cores and that can come in handy in the future and if you multitask a lot then you should still have 4 cores with HT left for just the game and the 2 cores for everything else running in the background. Your render times will go down a bit, but I would recommend you to OC it.

Atleast here in Denmark the 6700k and the 5820k cost about the same. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I would go with the 5820k, because 2 extra cores and that can come in handy in the future and if you multitask a lot then you should still have 4 cores with HT left for just the game and the 2 cores for everything else running in the background. Your render times will go down a bit, but I would recommend you to OC it.

Atleast here in Denmark the 6700k and the 5820k cost about the same. 

Yeah tbh I might just stick with the 5820k since you can just clock it to 4.4ghz and have more cores xD

Cheese

Just now, Amer said:

Yeah tbh I might just stick with the 5820k since you can just clock it to 4.4ghz and have more cores xD

well that is not 100% sure. Some CPUs OC well, some don't

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

well that is not 100% sure. Some CPUs OC well, some don't

Pretty sure all 5820k can clock to 4 ghz easily. 

Cheese

Just now, Amer said:

Nah I wouldn't believe it. I was told my 4670K could clock 4Ghz. But nope, 4Ghz 1.28v and it still crashes. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Nah I wouldn't believe it. I was told my 4670K could clock 4Ghz. But nope, 4Ghz 1.28v and it still crashes. 

Well, 3.3ghz is just fine tbh. I don't even need to clock. I'll just go with the 5820k because i multitask a lot and have lots of shit open

Cheese

1 minute ago, Amer said:

that vary a lot from chip to chip. I have three friends that own the 5820k and one has one that doesn't want to OC at all, while the other guys are running them from 4.2GHz to 4.5GHz

1 minute ago, Amer said:

Well, 3.3ghz is just fine tbh. I don't even need to clock. I'll just go with the 5820k because i multitask a lot and have lots of shit open

Why not 6800K? 

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Why not 6800K? 

is it lga 2011? i haven't really done this in a while so many new shit lol

Cheese

1 minute ago, Amer said:

is it lga 2011? i haven't really done this in a while so many new shit lol

yes, it is the new version. Turbo boost 3.0 and a tiny bit better single core performance, but generally also cost a tiny bit more.

Just now, Dackzy said:

yes, it is the new version. Turbo boost 3.0 and a tiny bit better single core performance, but generally also cost a tiny bit more.

Alright. I changed the cpu to a 6800k. I noticed the motherboard ima use https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XXL7YJ/asus-motherboard-rampagevextremeu3 doesn't support ddr4 3333 but when i put 3333 ram in pcpartpicker it said it was compatible help

Cheese

hello

if you realy want the extra cores

get the 6800k .

I have the 6700k not overclocked

I do gaming video editing photoshop and after effects just fine

but in your case get the 6800k .

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .