4.8TB SSD

idontneedonetho

So, samsung, what are you doing? At the time of this typing, I can right now get 20 PNY 240GB SSD for $1,399.98usd (that 0.98 will be important later) at staples while on the other hand, samsung is selling a 4TB for $1,399.99usd on newegg. Now, I know in the long run 20 SSDs might cost more for the SATA cables needed, on amazon you can get 4 5packs of 18 inch sata III cables for $30.36usd, BUT! hey, it's an extra 800GBs for $30 more right? BUT WAIT! There's more! So, you might be thinking two things, one, this is a mess of a paragraph and two, what motherboard can support that amount of SSDs? Well, I got you there, the ASRock Z87 Motherboard supports up to 22 sata ports in raid, it sold for $600usd when it was available (now on google shopping(cringe) it sells a refub for $6,250usd(y tho), we're going with the original retail price for this). So, I kinda lost track while typing this so I'm just gunna add it all up and hope linus does something with it because, why not:

20 SSDs total would be: $2,030.34 (no shipping)

1 4B SSD: $1,399.99 (free shipping on sale)

So, I have no clue why I posted this, just having fun I guess trying to find something that is useless.

Sources: 

PNY: http://www.staples.com/240GB-CS1311-SSD-25-SATA-III/product_2039141

Samsung: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147566

Cart for PNY: http://imgur.com/a/zT7QJ

?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Now let's find a case to fit in 20 ssd shall we

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Now let's find a case to fit in 20 ssd shall we

Lol, who needs cases when you could simply not have cases? *mindblown*

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

?

He is saying 20 ssd cost more than 1 ssd

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

He is saying 20 ssd cost more than 1 ssd

wow, ok..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I'm trying really hard to comprehend this. The samsung sells for the same price with the same amount of storage. The motherboard is over priced. And it doesn't really make sense to have 20 SSD's. RIP Power Supply. Maybe not but it will probably be hard on the power supply to run that many SSD's. But I don't know everything, I just build computers for fun.

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, OriginalBadArt said:

So, samsung, what are you doing? At the time of this typing, I can right now get 20 PNY 240GB SSD for $1,399.98usd (that 0.98 will be important later) at staples while on the other hand, samsung is selling a 4TB for $1,399.99usd on newegg. Now, I know in the long run 20 SSDs might cost more for the SATA cables needed, on amazon you can get 4 5packs of 18 inch sata III cables for $30.36usd, BUT! hey, it's an extra 800GBs for $30 more right? BUT WAIT! There's more! So, you might be thinking two things, one, this is a mess of a paragraph and two, what motherboard can support that amount of SSDs? Well, I got you there, the ASRock Z87 Motherboard supports up to 22 sata ports in raid, it sold for $600usd when it was available (now on google shopping(cringe) it sells a refub for $6,250usd(y tho), we're going with the original retail price for this). So, I kinda lost track while typing this so I'm just gunna add it all up and hope linus does something with it because, why not:

So, I have no clue why I posted this, just having fun I guess trying to find something that is useless.

Sources: 

This is stupid.

You can get a 1TB SSD for 230 USD, that is 4TB for 920 dollars and basically every motherboard would support this.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

In terms of GB per dollar, intermediate capacities give you more value than the highest capacities or the lowest capacities. For example, you can get a  decent240GB SSD for $60, but you can get a decent 480GB SSD for $110, less than double the price for double the space.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I'm trying really hard to comprehend this. The samsung sells for the same price with the same amount of storage. The motherboard is over priced. And it doesn't really make sense to have 20 SSD's. RIP Power Supply. Maybe not but it will probably be hard on the power supply to run that many SSD's. But I don't know everything, I just build computers for fun.

RIP power supply? They use 4.5W each for a total of 90W (peak), you could run them all off one 6 pin connector. 

What power supply are you using? O.o

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

RIP power supply? They use like 4.5W each for a total of 90W (peak). 

Lol sorry I am very off tonight. 

The geek himself.

That makes no sense on so many levels.

Isn't the 4.8tb PCI-e based? So faster.

Why would you buy that many drives? To increase your chance of failure 20 fold? That doesn't make much sense either.

10 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

It'd be extremely easy to run that many SSD's, they take next to no power.

10 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

This is stupid.

You can get a 1TB SSD for 230 USD, that is 4TB for 920 dollars and basically every motherboard would support this.

So much of this. Or 2 2TB for a little more, less chance of failure. Oy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The 20tb one is better quality and faster

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Very memory. Much wow. why do you need 4tb lol.

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

36 minutes ago, OriginalBadArt said:

Sources: 

This math is certainly in favour of the PNY 240GB SSD's, with regards to the capacity to cost ratio, with the end case either being JBOD, RAID0 (20 drives? this will not end well) or requiring extra drives when considering RAID5/6/10 etc bumping up the price, decreasing the difference a little if you consider potential usability.

Sure the Samsung 4TB has a massive premium, but on the other hand it's the only one on the market. And the extra price for that inherent reliability is totally worth it for a prosumer.

If you're looking for only 4 TB or so, then yeah, it may make sense in some weird universe to go for 20 SSD drives instead of a single one.

However, those 4.8 TB drives are not meant to be purchases by regular users, they're more or less just a demonstration of Samsung's capabilities and for the very small market which needs servers with a huge amount of storage for applications like oil exploration, earthquake simulations, large satellite imagery (with x-ray, infrared and other layers), or specialized databases with huge queries that need to retrieve information from lots of tables and link it together.

A single server with 20-40 such SSD drives and a pair of 40-100gbps network cards could replace one or a couple of 42u racks of servers with classical hard drives using FiberChannel .. so think less rental costs for racks in datacenters, less electricity (less than 0.5w per ssd when reading vs about average 8-10w per classic hdd), higher i/o ... 

They're not aimed for regular Joe who needs a hard drive to edit their Youtube video.

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

RIP power supply? They use 4.5W each for a total of 90W (peak), you could run them all off one 6 pin connector. 

-1000 watt power supply, its so good that its not even possible lol.

The geek himself.