Power surge questions

The title maybe meh,  Idk what to title this, I turn my pc off at night (I have ssd so I can, and turns on quick). 

My psu has a switch so I turned that off will this protect my components in the event of a power surge? 

If the switch is on but I shut down my pc there is a few status  leds(idk)  on the motherboard which means some power is supplied to the mobo,  which is best to protect the system in the event of a power surge? 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

The title maybe meh,  Idk what to title this, I turn my pc off at night (I have ssd so I can, and turns on quick). 

My psu has a switch so I turned that off will this protect my components in the event of a power surge? 

If the switch is on but I shut down my pc there is a few status  leds(idk)  on the motherboard which means some power is supplied to the mobo,  which is best to protect the system in the event of a power surge? 

Just unplug it completely.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Just unplug it completely.

Then I have to plug it back in :/ i can't do that with my toe,  I can easily hit the switch on the psu with my toe tho 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

If you're going to turn it off at the back of the PSU then you may as well spend 2 more seconds and completely unplug it :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Then I have to plug it back in :/ i can't do that with my toe,  I can easily hit the switch on the psu with my toe tho 

Well, don't be lazy! Think about it, would you rather spend 3 seconds to get down and unplug it or have a power surge fry your system?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

If you're going to turn it off at the back of the PSU then you may as well spend 2 more seconds and completely unplug it :) 

Is it worth it or if I don't turn off the psu switch,  in the event of a power surge will the psu 'absorb' said surge? 

There are several kinds of surges. You should get a surge protector if you want any sort of real protection against lightning strikes. For protection against malfunctions in the power grid, what you're doing is enough, albeit unnecessary.

Is it worth it or if I don't turn off the psu switch,  in the event of a power surge will the psu 'absorb' said surge? 

Some psus have surge protection, and so do most power strips.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Well, don't be lazy! Think about it, would you rather spend 3 seconds to get down and unplug it or have a power surge fry your system?

That's my question it's very rare to get power surges but can the psu contain said surge or does it get passed onto my system

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

That's my question it's very rare to get power surges but can the psu contain said surge or does it get passed onto my system

What psu is it? Some have built in surge protection. Also, do you have a surge protected power strip? If not, get one.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Naeaes said:

There are several kinds of surges. You should get a surge protector if you want any sort of real protection against lightning strikes. For protection against malfunctions in the power grid, what you're doing is enough, albeit unnecessary.

Lightning doesn't happen much and 99% of the time it's sheet lightning. 

Assuming I'm asleep and my psu is on and my system off what will happen with a power grid surge? 

What psu is it? Some have built in surge protection. Also, do you have a surge protected power strip? If not, get one.

CX750M will be replaced with a HX7/850I or RM850i

CX750m has minium cables for my system hence it will be replaced in a month 

Just a standard 5 socket (UK)  EXTENSION 

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Depends on the PSU and how much energy...

CX750M will be replaced with a HX7/850I or RM850i

CX750m has minium cables for my system hence it will be replaced in a month 

Just a standard 5 socket (UK)  EXTENSION 

What you should just do is buy a surge protector and call it a day.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Depends on the PSU and how much energy...

What you should just do is buy a surge protector and call it a day.

Pretty sure my psu is tier 3/4  (has green on the label) (my system is OCed).  I will invest in a strip,  with USB ports so I can charge my phone also

Pretty sure my psu is tier 3/4  (has green on the label) (my system is OCed).  I will invest in a strip,  with USB ports so I can charge my phone also

T4, thing is a PSU may just take kill itself to contain a power surge but that's not always going to happen as it still needs to release the energy to somewhere :P 

It's highly scenario dependent:/ 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

T4, thing is a PSU may just take kill itself to contain a power surge but that's not always going to happen as it still needs to release the energy to somewhere :P 

It's highly scenario dependent:/ 

So a psu upgrade is need soon