best cpu for web browsing

Hi, whats the best cpu for web browsing and e-mailing (grandparents build) and the recomded amount of ram. the computer will also be "rarely used". i was think a Intel Celeron G3900 with 4gb of ram?

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

2 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

Hi, whats the best cpu for web browsing and e-mailing (grandparents build) and the recomded amount of ram. the computer will also be "rarely used". i was think a Intel Celeron G3900 with 4gb of ram?

Anything with an i3 or pentium

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

That looks good, just know:

At Micro Center, you need a i3 or better to get the CPU + Motherboard discount

4 GB of RAM is weak sauce, get Granny 8 GB! It's not much more, and she may end up using it if she uses multiple browser tabs, maybe forgets to close some.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

4 GB of RAM is weak sauce, get Granny 8 GB! It's not much more, and she may end up using it it she uses multiple browser tabs, maybe forgets to close some.

Micro Center is 4hrs away so im either going to order it on amazon or Frys electronics 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

Just now, That-Something_ said:

Micro Center is 4hrs away so im either going to order it on amazon or Frys electronics 

In that case, your Celeron should be fine. 

Side note, you should totally check out Micro Center some time! I bet you'd pay less there, too. Even with Amazon competing. Maybe plan a vacation in that part of town some day!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

id get a Pentium, even just for webbrowsing seeing as Celerons are poop and 8GB RAM just so you know there wont be any problems there :) 350GB HDD is probably fine for storage but you could get an SSD and make it snappy and fast

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

id get a Pentium, even just for webbrowsing seeing as Celerons are poop and 8GB RAM just so you know there wont be any problems there :) 350GB HDD is probably fine for storage but you could get an SSD and make it snappy and fast

I think WD makes a great value option, something like 250GB for $20. 

@Captain_WD would know more about that.

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

In that case, your Celeron should be fine. 

Side note, you should totally check out Micro Center some time! I bet you'd pay less there, too. Even with Amazon competing. Maybe plan a vacation in that part of town some day!

you're right about the ram, crome for me is using over 4gb or ram( i got a bunch of tabs open)

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

you're right about the ram, crome for me is using over 4gb or ram( i got a bunch of tabs open)

dude i use 10GB RAM for just chrome lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6700K is the best.

Maybe you should be more specific than just "best"?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

4 GB of RAM is weak sauce, get Granny 8 GB! It's not much more, and she may end up using it it she uses multiple browser tabs, maybe forgets to close some.

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I think WD makes a great value option, something like 250GB for $20. 

@Captain_WD would know more about that.

sould i get a after market cooler or stick with stock?

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

sould i get a after market cooler or stick with stock?

Stock. Granny won't need more than that!

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

6700K is the best.

lmao i said for web browsing and emails not gaming or video rendering 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

6700K is the best.

Wouldn't a 6950x be the best?

A celeron will be more than enough for browsing. 4GB of ram is limiting but as long as she regularly closes tabs or shuts down the computer I doubt she will ever need 8GB (If budget is a consideration).

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

lmao i said for web browsing and emails not gaming or video rendering 

The 6700k is the best for emails and web browsing because it has the best single core performance and 8 threads for use in browsers like chrome.

So yeah, no CPU better than the 6700k at that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Sreno1 said:

Wouldn't a 6950x be the best?

No, 6700k is skylake, the 6950X is broadwell and has lower single core performance, especially since it is clocked much lower.

Web browsers benefit most from single core performance, although I know chrome can use 8 cores and maybe more.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

The 6700k is the best for emails and web browsing because it has the best single core performance and 8 threads for use in browsers like chrome.

So yeah, no CPU better than the 6700k at that.

im not going to spend $400 dollars for a cpu that wont be used very often 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

2 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

im not going to spend $400 dollars for a cpu that wont be used very often 

He isn't actually saying you should buy the 6700k but he is making the point that you did not specify budget. But it should be implied that you don't want to spend $340 for a CPU.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 hour ago, That-Something_ said:

Any modern cpu will be fine, like @mok said, a prebuilt might be the best option, they will have better cpus, and usually higher ram amounts, and warranties if anything goes wrong, and will include and a windows license. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Go for a celeron G1840. its cheaper than a G3900, more recent, and most importantly, performs better. 4GB of Ram is plenty and just use on-board graphics. 

10 hours ago, That-Something_ said:

~snip~

Hi :) Just to put my two cents here: 

If you can try getting a second-hand PC from a company that sells out their systems. They usually use quite powerful computers and sell them dirt-cheap. I doubt you will need the latest gen hardware for browsing and e-mails. Consider this option. :)

As for the storage, a SSD would make the system more snappy and responsive but it would increase the cost. A simple WD Blue drive with a capacity of your choice should be the best fit budget-wise. you could try combining a lower capacity SSD with HDD if you need more storage space for movies or photos, but it's up to you to decide how much storage space you'll need. 

Any well-performing CPU on the single-core side should be a good fit here. I doubt you will be doing more demanding things or multitask that much.  Your initial choice is quite good. You can always upgrade the memory if 4GB isn't enough. 

Thanks @Xanthe_2871 for mentioning! 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

15 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi :) Just to put my two cents here: 

If you can try getting a second-hand PC from a company that sells out their systems. They usually use quite powerful computers and sell them dirt-cheap. I doubt you will need the latest gen hardware for browsing and e-mails. Consider this option. :)

As for the storage, a SSD would make the system more snappy and responsive but it would increase the cost. A simple WD Blue drive with a capacity of your choice should be the best fit budget-wise. you could try combining a lower capacity SSD with HDD if you need more storage space for movies or photos, but it's up to you to decide how much storage space you'll need. 

Any well-performing CPU on the single-core side should be a good fit here. I doubt you will be doing more demanding things or multitask that much.  Your initial choice is quite good. You can always upgrade the memory if 4GB isn't enough. 

Thanks @Xanthe_2871 for mentioning! 

Captain_WD. 

That's great advice, I know eBay has old Dell PCs for a dime a dozen. My only note here: does Granny know how to properly use multiple drives? I feel like many old people would just fill up that small SSD C: drive and ignore the D: drive HDD, since they probably have a hard time understanding how that all works. Maybe I'm not giving this guy's Grandmother enough credit, but I feel like that's a likely outcome if he gets two drives.