Motherboard part name

So my friend kinda Screwed up. He lost the pin ground things from his motherboard. The issue is i have no idea what there called. they regulate the amount of power that goes into the pc. How can i replace or fix it? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Pics?

The Mosfetts?

The power connectors?

No, there like black plastic caps that go over pins. No pics because were at school 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Following out of interest. I'm guessing standoffs. If we're allowed to get two guesses I'll also throw jumpers in the hat. Neither of which do jack towards regulating the amount of power that goes into the pc.

You mean jumpers ?

Those don't regulate anything, they're just ways of setting something on or off (on usually by shorting two pins together)

PIctures please, better explanation

I'm pretty good at guessing pc parts by non-technical descriptions (8+ years of end user support) but cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean by "pin ground things"

The only thing I can think of from your second post is jumpers? like this: Jumper_on_motherboard.jpg

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Naeaes said:

Following out of interest. I'm guessing standoffs. If we're allowed to get two guesses I'll also throw jumpers in the hat. Neither of which do jack towards regulating the amount of power that goes into the pc.

I think there jumpers 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You mean jumpers ?

Those don't regulate anything, they're just ways of setting something on or off (on usually by shorting two pins together)

PIctures please, better explanation

The issue he is having is "over current detected in usb port" And he unplugged the USB he doesnt know what to do. He remembers removing some plastic caps and thinks thats the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

The issue he is having is "over current detected in usb port" And he unplugged the USB he doesnt know what to do. He remembers removing some plastic caps and thinks thats the issue. 

As others have said, pics would be extremely helpful in this situation.

Also has he unplugged ALL USB devices besides his mouse and keyboard? Literally everything, even if its a cable that isn't plugged into anything on the other end.

2 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Check the internal usb ports and make sure that there isn't a jumper on them, overcurrent means something is shorting out.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

As others have said, pics would be extremely helpful in this situation.

Also has he unplugged ALL USB devices besides his mouse and keyboard? Literally everything, even if its a cable that isn't plugged into anything on the other end.

Hes just now building the PC. He has NOTHING plugged in besides the monitor and power cable. He did unplug the internal usb as well. 

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

You can buy jumpers in electrical stores but it's possible to replace them with anything conductive. A bent staple for instance. I'm never heard of removing a jumper to cause this error but I'm not one to say it can't happen. Maybe instead of removing, he's placed one in the USB header

I'm also thinking this might be a separate issue. Have him take a good look at all the USB ports. a bent contact like that can touch the collar of the connector and if it happens to be the +5VDC pin, it'll cause a short and prompt the error in question. It may well be a malfunctioning device too. Unplugging everything would sort that out.

Hes just now building the PC. He has NOTHING plugged in besides the monitor and power cable. He did unplug the internal usb as well. 

Are these brand new components or is he going used? did he make sure to plug in both the 24-pin mobo connector AND the 4/8 pin cpu power header?

What components does he have?

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Are these brand new components or is he going used? did he make sure to plug in both the 24-pin mobo connector AND the 4/8 pin cpu power header?

What components does he have?

the motherboard and power supply are both brand new. The rest are used parts. And i was the one who plugged everything in, but i was short on time and only had enough time to plug things where they go, but everything is in the right place. 

Yea then as the others said, check that there aren't and shorts on any of the USB headers AND ports, both on the mobo itself and on the case's usb ports as well.

Missing standoffs and jumpers wont case USB overcurrent to trip, but a wrongly placed jumper or standoff may. (I put too many standoffs the first time I built a pc, fortunately I didn't break anything, but I easily could have)

the motherboard and power supply are both brand new. The rest are used parts. And i was the one who plugged everything in, but i was short on time and only had enough time to plug things where they go, but everything is in the right place. 

I have a feeling he may have put the motherboard in without the standoffs. It would short from the underside via the metal back of the case. Your friend would be just very lucky that it's the USB shorting and not something heavy like the +12V EPS for the CPU.

Or one of those grounding tongues on the I/O shield is inside one of the USB connectors as opposed to agains the side of them. That could cause a short between the +5VDC and the collar too.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

I have a feeling he may have put the motherboard in without the standoffs. It would short from the underside via the metal back of the case. Your friend would be just very lucky that it's the USB shorting and not something heavy like the +12V EPS for the CPU.

Or one of those grounding tongues on the I/O shield is inside one of the USB connectors as opposed to agains the side of them. That could cause a short between the +5VDC and the collar too.

the case had built in standoffs.