is 1060 3gb a better deal than rx470 if its cheaper?

TheEndIsNear
Go to solution Solved by RollinLower,

keep in mind that the 3GB model of the 1060 is also a little less powerfull than the full 6GB model. that being said, i also recommend the 470. 3GB VRAM is really just not enough anymore these days, as some games like GTA V and Rise of the Tomb Raider all use more already!

it should definitely be enough if you are only going to be playing older titles though, but for newer stuff 4GB is the standard these days.

Zotac gtx 1060 3gb is priced around $17 cheaper than the rx470 around here. so is it a better choice?

i will be focusing more on old titles which i haven't played any (DX11) and only some new upcoming titles (DX12)

Gaming on 1080p and do free roam open world games consume more VRAM? since i mostly am interested in playing open world titles.

CPU's an i3 btw

1 minute ago, cakevreter2000 said:

probably better to go for 470 for the extra ram becouse of your open world titles

so open world title consumes more VRAM?

keep in mind that the 3GB model of the 1060 is also a little less powerfull than the full 6GB model. that being said, i also recommend the 470. 3GB VRAM is really just not enough anymore these days, as some games like GTA V and Rise of the Tomb Raider all use more already!

it should definitely be enough if you are only going to be playing older titles though, but for newer stuff 4GB is the standard these days.

Good luck playing open world games with 3Gb of VRAM and an i3. Definitely get a 4Gb 470 for that. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

19 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Good luck playing open world games with 3Gb of VRAM and an i3. Definitely get a 4Gb 470 for that. 

really?
Open world games aren't well optimized yet even high end GPUs struggles providing high fps.

Just look at the performance of H1z1, Dayz, ARMA 3 and ARK all are badly optmized games.
And those who plays open world games for example streamers with HIGH END GPUs, they don't even play on MAXED settings.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

Just now, Waqas409 said:

really?
Open world games aren't well optimized yet even high end GPUs struggles providing high fps.

Just look at the performance of H1z1, Dayz, ARMA 3 and ARK all are badly optmized games.
And those who plays open world games for example streamers with HIGH END GPUs, they don't even play on MAXED settings.

Am I saying they are well optimised? Just saying that that hardware isnt that great for those games. And Arma and H1Z1 aren't that hard for a good PC (i5/i7 and 1060). If they dont, its becuase it simply wont be smooth enough to play + stream. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5