I don't know what program I need? Maybe you do?

toysniper

Hi guys,

I have been around LTT for years but rarely post.  I find myself in a situation where I need some help and have little knowledge.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

The long and and short of the situation is I have recently found myself in a divorce situation, I have been locked out of my own house and my wife is spreading lies about me to protect herself and keeping my son from me.  I am not mentioning this for any kind of sympathy only to mildly stress the importance and time sensitive nature of the situation.  Everything will turn out well in the end, I just have to be able to show a timeline of what has really happened.  Here is where I'm hoping one of you can help.  

I am needing to create a timeline.  But I have no idea what program I need.  I have tried to research things like adobe but nothing is clear that it will work.  I have listed what the program needs to be able to do below.  

Timeline starting from the date I first got with her to today, and modifiable

I need to be able to click specific boxes that will show and remove specific headlines.  

Times I contacted my son

Times we went to counseling

Dates of phone calls

I need to be able to reference or add specific media such as audio clips or text messages.  If I can only reference them that would be ok, but I would prefer to be able to insert them.

etc.

This timeline will be used to show the course of events leading up to today.  

Lastly I need a suggestion for editing audio/video clips for this project.  

Funds are not exactly flowing right now so money is a factor, however I will spend what I need to in order to make this an effective document.  

Thank you again for any help you may be able to provide. 

4 minutes ago, toysniper said:

Hi guys,

I have been around LTT for years but rarely post.  I find myself in a situation where I need some help and have little knowledge.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

The long and and short of the situation is I have recently found myself in a divorce situation, I have been locked out of my own house and my wife is spreading lies about me to protect herself and keeping my son from me.  I am not mentioning this for any kind of sympathy only to mildly stress the importance and time sensitive nature of the situation.  Everything will turn out well in the end, I just have to be able to show a timeline of what has really happened.  Here is where I'm hoping one of you can help.  

I am needing to create a timeline.  But I have no idea what program I need.  I have tried to research things like adobe but nothing is clear that it will work.  I have listed what the program needs to be able to do below.  

Timeline starting from the date I first got with her to today, and modifiable

I need to be able to click specific boxes that will show and remove specific headlines.  

Times I contacted my son

First of all, much sympathy goes out to you - losing your son and the woman you once loved must be hard - but good timeline editors are like this one

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/timeline_2/

completely free - really - you should be making a powerpoint for this - one slide explaining in detail what happened

Thank you for the rapid reply GTX, I didn't realize this had already posted I was editing the post I will check that link out right now

1 minute ago, toysniper said:

Thank you for the rapid reply GTX, I didn't realize this had already posted I was editing the post I will check that link out right now

no problem - just remember to quote people when you respond to them - its the litle reply symbol at the bottom of the post

if you don't have powerpoint or a newer version of it just download a bootleg version and use it - it won't be a big issue as long it isn't used to make money

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

if you don't have powerpoint or a newer version of it just download a bootleg version and use it - it won't be a big issue as long it isn't used to make money

Thanks!

or, you could download openoffice. it is basically microsoft office, but completely free and open source! it has a powerpoint program called 'impress'

Just now, toysniper said:

Thanks!

honestly the powerpoint is a better option - when you're in court or with her lawyer - a detailed comprehensive case is better than just a date and time - im no lawyer but i did take a couple of law courses

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

or, you could download openoffice. it is basically microsoft office, but completely free and open source! it has a powerpoint program called 'impress'

openoffice is really hard to use and the gui isn't the best

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

openoffice is really hard to use and the gui isn't the best

still better than pirating something you intend to use for legal purposes?

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

still better than pirating something you intend to use for legal purposes?

is it really pirating if you just make it at home and open the file on a legit version at a lawyer's office?

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

is it really pirating if you just make it at home and open the file on a legit version at a lawyer's office?

it is yeah, though you wouldn't be able to see it was made on pirated software if you open the file on a legit version. still though, personally i wouldn't risk it. this doesn't seem like the kind of situation to be cutting corners in.

Just now, RollinLower said:

it is yeah, though you wouldn't be able to see it was made on pirated software if you open the file on a legit version. still though, personally i wouldn't risk it. this doesn't seem like the kind of situation to be cutting corners in.

he said he was tight on cash - the entire suite costs around 200 dollars - he could use the online version though

4 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

I do have PowerPoint (legit copy).  Though I have little experience with creating a timeline using it.  I was hoping for a document that would allow me to visually separate years and events within those years highlighting specific headlines.  This program may not exist in which case any suggestions (or links) you could provide would be very much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, toysniper said:

I do have PowerPoint (legit copy).  Though I have little experience with creating a timeline using it.  I was hoping for a document that would allow me to visually separate years and events within those years highlighting specific headlines.  This program may not exist in which case any suggestions (or links) you could provide would be very much appreciated. 

it doesn't necessarily have to be a timeline timeline - you could make a slide for each event and date it - then when it's a new year or month, insert in a title slide with the month or year on it

he said he was tight on cash - the entire suite costs around 200 dollars - he could use the online version though

I have been lucky in the fact that military members can buy office (two licenses) for $10.00 each, so I have it installed on my comp.

Just now, toysniper said:

Thank you GTX and RollinLower, you both have been great assets.

No problem - thank you for serving

I would probably use Inkscape or something similar (Microsoft Publisher, Corel DRAW etc.) and have a set of A4s with dates etc. converted to PDF. But I think links above are more specialized for timelines and easier to make it clean looking.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 5:41 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would probably use Inkscape or something similar (Microsoft Publisher, Corel DRAW etc.) and have a set of A4s with dates etc. converted to PDF. But I think links above are more specialized for timelines and easier to make it clean looking.

Thanks for the post LoGiCalDrm, ill look into it!