Sandy Bridge Chipsets

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

As a fairly new techie, I don't remember when sandy bridge was released, and have no Idea what socket it was on, what chipset it used, etc.

I was looking at Wikipedia to learn about Intel chipsets, when I saw this fairly confusing chart of sandy bridge chipsets. is Wikipedia wrong, or did this confusing chipset exist?

What I find confusing:

The Z68 Chipset doesn't match up with the naming scheme of the rest of intel's Z series chipsets

the Z68 Chipset is listed as not having PCI, which other, non-Z boards have.

H67 supported integrated graphics but not overclocking

P67 supported overclocking but not integrated graphics

Z68 supported both overclocking and integrated graphics

Z77 was released the following year with Ivy Bridge, but still supports Sandy Bridge CPUs, and supports both overclocking and integrated graphics like Z68, and also added support for 4 native USB 3.0 ports.

All of these chipsets support 2 native SATA 6 Gb/s ports and 4 native SATA 3 Gb/s ports.

Q chipsets are used in laptops.

As a fairly new techie, I don't remember when sandy bridge was released, and have no Idea what socket it was on, what chipset it used, etc.

I was looking at Wikipedia to learn about Intel chipsets, when I saw this fairly confusing chart of sandy bridge chipsets. is Wikipedia wrong, or did this confusing chipset exist?

What I find confusing:

The Z68 Chipset doesn't match up with the naming scheme of the rest of intel's Z series chipsets

Wikipedia List.JPG

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Intel lists it as an official think on there ARK Intel site but my guess is thats its just the Z77 chipset with no PCI support and just PCI-e

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What I find confusing:

H67 supported integrated graphics but not overclocking

P67 supported overclocking but not integrated graphics

Z68 supported both overclocking and integrated graphics

Z77 was released the following year with Ivy Bridge, but still supports Sandy Bridge CPUs, and supports both overclocking and integrated graphics like Z68, and also added support for 4 native USB 3.0 ports.

All of these chipsets support 2 native SATA 6 Gb/s ports and 4 native SATA 3 Gb/s ports.

Q chipsets are used in laptops.

sandy bridge was released in 2011 on socket lga 1155. 

It works on :  

h61 

h67

p67 ( OC support , but no igpu support ) 

z68 (Oc, pcie 2.0 is supported ) 

(all chipsets down below support pcie 3.0 )

b75 

z75 (OC, no smart response tech )

z77 (OC)

Now ivy bridge is also supported on every chipset i just mentionned .

You will also be limited by the slowest link in terms of pcie. Sandy supports pcie 2.0 , and ivy supports pcie 3.0 .

Sandy bridge will always be pcie 2.0 , even on X7X boards , and ivy bridge will only run at pcie 3.0 on  X7X boards . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case