Wait it out or stick with 4770?

So my config of i7 4770k and ddr3 memory is getting pretty dated now so the plan was to wait for kaby lake but i just realised the jump from sky to kaby isnt that big and the generation after kaby (down to 10nm) was the next big jump. So now that's got me thinking, should i just upgrade now or do i wait for the 8th Gen 10nm stuff? 

2 minutes ago, Raz Ghost said:

So my config of i7 4770k and ddr3 memory is getting pretty dated now

Um no, not at all. In most cases you're maybe 4 or 5% slower, in gaming is not even noticeable at all.

Yes DDR4 is faster and will eventually be the only standard but the speed gains and the architecture gains on Skylake or even Kaby are not making your rig "dated" at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Both those options would be the same. Both the right answer lol. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

4770k is still plenty capable . If you want to you can even OC .

Also , on desktop , the next thing after kaby lake is 14nm coffee lake, not 10nm.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Wait for VR to mature for 4k to become usable on mid range cards before spending any money on any computer. Battlefield 1 is going to be the number one multiplayer game for a while and its requirements are pretty low IMO. Also CSGO is still popular. I really dont see any reason to upgrade unless RockStar brings out a new GTA with much improved multiplayer. 

Also wait for ZEN

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

hold off on the upgrade until upgrading is a necessity, upgrading just for the sake of having a modern system is a waste of money.

I'm sticking with my 4770K til the 8770 is out. If you really need the extra power, go with a Xeon.

-アパゾ

I would wait for Skylake-X in 2H 2017. That way you get the benefit of both Skylake IPC and moar corez. Kaby Lake looks like it's just Skylake with higher default clocks. But even then, if you're gaming at 60 fps there isn't any reason to replace a 4770k or even a 4770.

3 hours ago, Raz Ghost said:

So my config of i7 4770k and ddr3 memory is getting pretty dated now so the plan was to wait for kaby lake but i just realised the jump from sky to kaby isnt that big and the generation after kaby (down to 10nm) was the next big jump. So now that's got me thinking, should i just upgrade now or do i wait for the 8th Gen 10nm stuff? 

have you checked benchmarks...the 6700K is less than 8% faster than your CPU...it's perfectly fine.

i have one, and it's a beast.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR