"Killzone: Shadow Fall Could Have Been a 290GB Game"

TopWargamer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/24/killzone-shadow-fall-could-have-been-a-290gb-game?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Killzone 3 was itself a massive game, thanks in part to certain data being duplicated on the disc in order to speed up load times. Doing the same thing for Killzone's debut on PS4 could have been extremely problematic. "I think at some point the disc image that we were generating was around 180 gigs," explained Guerrilla technical director Michiel van der Leeuw. "And if we would have put all the levels in, which we didn't, because then the disc image generator broke, it would have been around 290 gigs of data.

wKJRAFh.png

290GB for a game is way too watch, at least in this day and age. Not even a PC game is that huge. Glad they were able to cut it down to 40GB. 

COMIC SANS

Is everything uncompressed or something? jfc

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

290GB on disc? :0

There's no way it could be on a single disc, unless they were to use that new disc-type that holds loads of gigs, but I doubt it, plus the PS4 isn't compatible with those types of discs. 

COMIC SANS

Killzone 3 was itself a massive game, thanks in part to certain data being duplicated on the disc in order to speed up load times.

finally some one answered it

console  games are huge because of that reason

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wtf

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

geez it makes you wonder how this game would be on PC all maxed out 

i7 2600k , XFX R9 270x  , Corsair cx 500 ,  asrock z77 extreme 3 , 8 gb ripjaws x 1600 , 1 tb WD blue, Cooler master Haf 912 

Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013 , Razer Naga molten edition 

Do consoles still need to read discs to run?

I thought they would load all the files into their hard drives, which should be much faster than an optical drive.

wow that would fill up just one of my hard drives

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wow, that would fill up a 240 GB SSD,

Time to buy that 1 TB Samsung EVO drive I've been dreaming of :P

Imagine everything they removed to make it fit onto a Blu Ray disk.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I tend to think I have lot's of space left, but that game would fill up my HDD almost entirely..

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Welll I guess if games get bigger, it might give drive manufacturers the push to make larger capacity drives at a lower price.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Guess they would need to find a better compression tool or optimize objects to make it smaller because 290GB for a game isn't worth it imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Do consoles still need to read discs to run?

I thought they would load all the files into their hard drives, which should be much faster than an optical drive.

i would have rather them put the games on Thumb drives  patch the game directly onto the thumbdrive also, bring back the "cartridge"

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

A game that big better be the most amazing game ever made and must remain so for all of time, it better cause instantaneous orgasms so powerful that it destroys the nervous systems of anyone who plays the game while simultaneously making their eyeballs explode with such force that they are sent into the upper atmosphere of our planet.

BUT!

Seeing as it's Killzone and that it's on a console on top of that it won't be anything like that, it will be just another gritty, gray and brown slog through hails of lead, chest high walls, stupid immersion breaking "set piece" events, and moronic press this button to not die like a scrub sequences. The Devs released this info to make it seem like the best game ever, in reality it just revealed to me that the Devs are just as juvenile and retarded as the rest of the population because they think that bigger numbers mean something is better regardless of actual facts.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

290gigs ???!?!? Why the hell are they are using that much space, is everything a 4K uncompressed texture? Do the base models have vertices out the ass and then have a script to cut them down, instead of just making a model with less. I smell a need for better compression or cut down on the texture, on the consoles a 4x texture wont mean jack on upscaled 720P or 1080P native

Just because it could have been a 290gb game doesn't mean it is. Why are people saying they need better compression tools? They got it down to 40gb which is fine...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

What could have been is not that relevant.I read John Carmack revealed that an uncompressed Rage built would have been about one TB in size.